RC-50 - Phrase change behaviour in single mode

Started by theAnt2002, July 01, 2018, 02:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAnt2002

Hi All

I'm struggling to get the RC 50 set up to work as I need it with prerecorded phrases.

Is there a way of configuring patches in single mode so that when the phrase is changed it will immediately start overdubbing even if there is audio on the patch?

When the patches are blank, by default, when I change phrases it will start recording which works well in performance. However, if I pre-load a backing track onto a phrase before performance, and then switch to that phrase when performing it will start on playback mode, not overdub mode.

Also, is there a demonstration video which illustrates the difference between "rhythm priority" and "sound priority" modes. From reading about this I'm struggling to understand the difference and what mode will work best for me? Thanks

Loopmaster B.

Hi,
there is a trick to do this - I call it "simulated single mode". You use Multi Mode, but only the phrase which is selected when pushing REC / PLAY / OVERDUB gets a volume level of 100, all others get a volume level of 0. For this, you can have a real assistant turning the phrase volume knobs each time you push REC / PLAY / OVERDUB (might be a funny performance  :) ), or you use MIDI to change the phrase volumes automatically for you. I wrote a little program called "MIDI-Assistant", which can do exactly this thing. The RC-50 sends a MIDI-start message when you start the first loop, and it sends permanent MIDI-Clock messages during the performance (24 Clock-messages per Quarter-note), so the MIDI-Assistant knows exactly where you are in your performance. You can define a MIDI-send-table, which sends the defined messages exactly at the given amount of Clock-messages after performance-start. CC#1 and CC#7 messages can be defined for Phrase1 level and Phrase2 level, so "simulated single mode" works perfectly for 2 phrases (at the time you push REC / PLAY / OVERDUB for Phrase2, send Phrase1 Level0 with CC#1 and Phrase2 Level100 with CC#7). When using 3 Phrases, CC#7 might be set to CurrentLevel, and you can experiment with this. The MIDI-Assistant is downloadable for free at my website
https:\\rc50looper.jimdofree.com
You can also find a lot of Tips and Tricks for the RC-50 there.

For the thing with Rhythm / Sound Priority: Just pre-record a silent loop with the length you need. During recording the real loop, the timing of when you stop recording does not really matter anymore.

Loopmaster B.

There is a very simple solution for this:
You will need both feet.

Explanation for Phrase1: select function PHRASE1 PLAY for the TEMPO button with the CTL/EXP PEDAL button. When you want to switch from another Phrase to Phrase1, push TEMPO (=PHRASE1 PLAY) together with REC/PLAY/OVERDUB - voila, Phrase1 is overdubbing!

Of course this also works for the other Phrases by using PHRASE2 PLAY or PHRASE3 PLAY function, and you can map the functions to the TEMPO button, to the UNDO button or to an external footswitch.

REMARK 1: the solution does not work when you want to switch phrases while the current phrase is recording
REMARK 2: the solution does not work when Patch - PhraseChng is set to to LOOP END
REMARK 3: To avoid accidently hitting the REC/PLAY/OVERDUB pedal first, it might be best practice to hit the pedal with the PHRASE PLAY function first and immediately afterwards hit the REC/PLAY/OVERDUB pedal. You can do this is in one rolling movement from right-to-left-foot-pushing.
REMARK 4: In Single Mode, you can use the PHRASE PLAY function at anytime to restart the Phrase (like you can do it for one-shot-phrases)