Buy a GT-10 in 2018?

Started by tlh.67, June 07, 2018, 08:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlh.67

I can get a used GT-10 off of Guitar Center's site for $200-225... since it's BOSS, I don't sweat buying the gear used... but that being said, a brand new in-the-box GT-1 is $200 as well.  I am a disabled vet, so the GT-1000 is 'above my pay grade', as we used to say. 

Am I asking for headaches by going that far backward in the GT gene pool?

carlb

Although the GT-10 looks more impressive, the GT-1 is going to sound better. Especially if you want distorted tones from it.

If you're not going to play it through headphones or a PA-type speaker setup, perhaps consider a used Katana amp. It has the GT-1 tonal quality, plus an amplifier and speaker tuned especially for it ... really an excellent amp.

ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

tlh.67

Quote from: carlb on June 07, 2018, 08:32:51 PM
Although the GT-10 looks more impressive, the GT-1 is going to sound better. Especially if you want distorted tones from it.

If you're not going to play it through headphones or a PA-type speaker setup, perhaps consider a used Katana amp. It has the GT-1 tonal quality, plus an amplifier and speaker tuned especially for it ... really an excellent amp.

Thanks for the reply -

I already have a Katana 100 1x12 & love it, just saw the GT-10 while browsing GC's used gear and wondered "hmmm, what about this?"... I was gonna buy the GT-1 next month, so I figured I would ask here first.

gumtown

The GT-10 will give you more control at your feet, and you don't have to use the GT-10 preamps.
Use the Katana preamps with the GT-10 connected in four cable method (4CM),
like this
Guitar > GT-10 input,
GT-10 S/R Loop Send > Katana input,
Katana S/R Loop Send > GT-10 S/R loop Return,
GT-10 L/Mono Output > Katana S/R loop Return.

There area a few pro's and con's for either,
the GT-1 patch selection is by scrolling up through each increment/decrement.
the GT-10 preamps are not so good.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

tlh.67

Quote from: gumtown on June 08, 2018, 12:09:37 AM
The GT-10 will give you more control at your feet, and you don't have to use the GT-10 preamps.
Use the Katana preamps with the GT-10 connected in four cable method (4CM),
like this
Guitar > GT-10 input,
GT-10 S/R Loop Send > Katana input,
Katana S/R Loop Send > GT-10 S/R loop Return,
GT-10 L/Mono Output > Katana S/R loop Return.

There area a few pro's and con's for either,
the GT-1 patch selection is by scrolling up through each increment/decrement.
the GT-10 preamps are not so good.

Hmmm... I suppose I could just apply the $200 to a "GT-1000 fund". 😉😆

Thanks friends, I appreciate the advice.

admin

Quote from: tlh.67 on June 08, 2018, 04:06:55 PM
Hmmm... I suppose I could just apply the $200 to a "GT-1000 fund". 😉😆

Thanks friends, I appreciate the advice.

FWIW -Gundy Keller now works for H&K and just last year was still using a GT-10 in 4 cable method as his FX and MIDI controller at NAMM

tlh.67

Quote from: admin on June 08, 2018, 04:12:56 PM
FWIW -Gundy Keller now works for H&K and just last year was still using a GT-10 in 4 cable method as his FX and MIDI controller at NAMM

Thanks for that.  So it IS still viable in some uses...

Any idea how the GT-10 works with Windows 10?  I know of Gummie's floorboard app & used it with my GT-100 back before Tone Studio existed...  (sadly, the GT-100 had to go away, that darn 'real life' thing rears it's ugly head yet again  ::) )

Am I wrong in assuming the GT-1 has somewhat usurped the GT-100's place?  I know it's not got the dual signal paths and less switches, but other than that... ???

formercakid

Don't buy a GT-10 without buying a Harmonic Converger.  The Harmonic Convergers occassionaly come up for sale on Ebay & Reverb.com.  The Converger does incredible things for the GT-10.  If you can't get the Converger then your best affordable choice would be a used GT-100.

Elantric

Quote from: formercakid on July 03, 2018, 03:43:50 PM
Don't buy a GT-10 without buying a Harmonic Converger.  The Harmonic Convergers occassionaly come up for sale on Ebay & Reverb.com.  The Converger does incredible things for the GT-10.  If you can't get the Converger then your best affordable choice would be a used GT-100.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=38374.20

leave HC promo to Radley

http://nargalzius.com/blog/archives/2007/06/01/harmonic-converger

FWIW - I get similar results with one of these
http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/PDI-09-Passive-DI-Box-for-Guitars-PDI09.htm

Cups

I use a gp10 in the loop of the GT 10. I absolutely love it. Except for the size.  :P

CodeSmart

I used my GT-10 with 4CM and real tube head overdrive some years ago. I could never stand the native distorsion effects and amp overdrives in the GT-10, they never sounded warm and real. However the rest of the effects were great and the thing is built as a tank.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Lectric

Original thread from 2018, I know, I know... but I don't have problems with ressurecting old(er) threads when relevant.

In what way will the GT-1 sound better than the GT-10? Just the modelling, or the overall effects as well? If I'm not mistaken, the GT-1 comes from the GT-100, right? Since I read somewhere on the internet that the GT-10 apparently sounds "better" than the GT-100, or that if you have a GT-10, you don't really have an upgrade when going to the GT-100.

Maybe someone can confirm... the sounds in the Katana, are those the GT-100's sounds? If it would be for playing home through headphones, would a GT-10 be prefered over a Katana?

Thanks!

gumtown

Quote from: Lectric on November 01, 2020, 01:58:06 PM
Original thread from 2018, I know, I know... but I don't have problems with ressurecting old(er) threads when relevant.

In what way will the GT-1 sound better than the GT-10? Just the modelling, or the overall effects as well? If I'm not mistaken, the GT-1 comes from the GT-100, right? Since I read somewhere on the internet that the GT-10 apparently sounds "better" than the GT-100, or that if you have a GT-10, you don't really have an upgrade when going to the GT-100.

Maybe someone can confirm... the sounds in the Katana, are those the GT-100's sounds? If it would be for playing home through headphones, would a GT-10 be prefered over a Katana?

Thanks!

All depends on how fussy you are, the GT-100 is definitely an improvement on the GT-10, those saying the GT-10 sounds better are probably try to justify a reason to not upgrade.
Overall the Boss line of modelling is an incremental progression over the years.
When it comes to the Katana, it is a device of its own character, it is a complete guitar amp, and can't really be compared to the GT series of multi effects. The only thing in common is the brand name and an array of effects, the amp models, although based on the GT-100, are not comparable.

The GT-1, although having a few less features of the GT-100 does sound slightly better than its big brother.

Then back to the GT-10, for the right price, there is nothing wrong with a GT-10, it should be able to do all you need.
Where there is a banquet of effects and modelers out there, comparing the tone of the Boss GT-10 to the GT-100, or GT-1 is like comparing Apples for Apples
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Lectric

Would you say - soundwise - the GT-10, GT-100 and/or GT-1 are better than the Katana? If purely for using with headphones, would you go with one of the GT's, or rather the Katana? And budgetwise... what would you call a fair price today for a GT-10 (new)?

Thanks!

gumtown

GT-10 was produced between 2008 and 2011, unusual if you can find one new, but I guess about USD $250 tops for a mint one would be a fair price.
I would  not look at the Katana as a headphone practice option due to the size, and not foot control unless you purchase the GAFC controller as an extra cost on top of the amp (GAFC for 100 watt only).
The GT-1 can run from batteries and has built in Expression pedal (as do the other GT's).
Other Boss options is the Boss Waza Air headphones with built in Katana style amps and effects and comes with a rechargeable wireless transmitter,
and the new (pricey) Boss GT-Pocket.
My personal favorite home practice device is the Boss BR-80 micro recorder/player, which uses the built in eBand music file player, and runs on 2 x AA batteries.

Lectric

CodeSmart

For practicing I definitively go for the lightweight GT-1, it got Aux in and phones out. The GT-10 (and GT-100) is really heavy and bulky.
Waza Air sounds great but comes with high price, unless you need good bluetooth earphones anyway for normal listening.
The Waza Air headphones are tight to the ears so after an hour or so they'll get warm and sweaty.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!