Started by admin, May 29, 2018, 02:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Electro Harmonix Oceans 11 Reverb: 11 reverbs in one pedal – and Infinity Jack
With Secondary Knob Mode and hidden Tails controls

Manual
https://www.ehx.com/assets/instructions/oceans-11.pdf

EHX Oceans 11 Reverb pedal  ·  Source: Electro Harmonix

Electro Harmonix has just added a video on YouTube for its new Oceans 11 reverb pedal, and yes, it has eleven different reverbs all in one pedal.

Electro Harmonix Oceans 11 Reverb
With 11 reverbs, I guess the new Electro Harmonix Oceans 11 pedal contains enough algorithms to keep most players busy. They've evidently managed to squeeze them all into a relatively compact pedal. With just four control knobs labelled FX Level, Tone and Time, plus an 11 position rotary dial to choose your reverb type, I think the layout is just right: simple, yet effective. You can choose between, Hall, Spring, Plate, Revrs, Echo, Trem, Mod, Dyna, Auto-Inf, Shim and Poly settings using the later dial.

I've included the official EHX description below, so you can see what is included in the Oceans 11 lineup of reverb algorithms.

1. HALL – the rich reverberant sound of a grand concert hall
2. SPRING – pays homage to the classic Fender® 6G15 tube spring reverb
3. PLATE – the lush, warm reverb that got its name because a large metal plate was originally used to create it
4. REVRS – emulates the quirky reverse reverb effect where a note's reverb fades-in backwards. (Jimmy Page claims to have invented it.)
5. ECHO –sends a recirculating echo thru the Plate reverb. The crisp clear delays get tastefully smudged by the airy plate reverb
6. TREM – reverb plus tremolo that's applied to both the wet and dry mix of a Hall reverb, your choice of three different tremolo shapes
7. MOD – modulated reverb, three modes. Chorus laced onto the reverb tails creates a luscious atmospheric effect. Flanger wraps around the reverb tails and weaves a hypnotic tapestry. Chorus and flanger combined.
8. DYNA – Swell, gate and duck. Swell silences your notes' attacks before blooming the tails back into the soundscape. Gate passes the reverb tail thru a noise gate that opens when it detects playing. (Phil Collins popularized the technique by applying it to drums.) Duck compresses the reverb tail while you're playing and fades it back in when you're resting.
9. AUTO-INF – Auto-infinite reverb that triggers a reverb wash for each note or chord. When a new one is struck, the previously resounding reverb crossfades to the new one
10. SHIM – Shimmer generates a rich octave-shifted reverb wash that modulates and blossoms behind your signal
11. POLY – Polyphonic reverb, two configurable bi-directional pitch shifts operating on your pre-reverb signal. Combine dissonant intervals with near infinite decays to create disorienting soundtracks, or choose perfect/major intervals to generate creative harmonies when jumping around a key signature

Modes, Tails and Infinity...
The Oceans 11 also contains a few hidden features via the 'Secondary Knob Mode' and also an internal Tails switch. Even though it looks simple on the outside, you can still tinker with these added parameter controls. Then, of course, you get the Modes switch which allows you to choose between three variations of each reverb type. So this pedal looks like it has a lot to offer.

But there's more. Check out the Infinite Jack input on the side: just plug in an external momentary footswitch to this ¼" jack plug. Press and hold the switch to activate infinite reverb, that will go on until you release it. Nice!

I've included the official demo video below, along with a handy link to the product page and also a really useful Bill Ruppert settings PDF guide as well. The Oceans 11 comes with the EHX 9.6DC200mA power supply included in the price.

RRP – TBC

More Information
Product Page
https://www.ehx.com/products/oceans-11

carlb

Another brilliant EHX box - that doesn't support MIDI for patch changes or parameter changes. Unless you want to tweak it between songs or perhaps sets, one sound only for a gig.

Sigh.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

aliensporebomb

Just wish it was stereo!  Maybe someday.  A great demo as always from Mr. Ruppert. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

alexmcginness

Quote from: carlb on May 29, 2018, 03:50:29 PM
Another brilliant EHX box - that doesn't support MIDI for patch changes or parameter changes. Unless you want to tweak it between songs or perhaps sets, one sound only for a gig.

Sigh.

Nice to see Im not the only one that feels this way. Back in the days before midi I had a box that had 4 fx loops that sat on the floor and I mounted my pedals on a board and had them on a stand beside me so that in-between tunes I didnt look like an exercise instructor bending over to adjust parameters. This is one of the reasons I love the VG-99. Waist high tweakability. Footpedals are so last century for me. Theyre great in the studio but for live use theyre more than a hassle if you want to use them for more than one sound per gig.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

BladesToyShop

Quote from: alexmcginness on May 30, 2018, 07:30:06 AM
Nice to see Im not the only one that feels this way. Back in the days before midi I had a box that had 4 fx loops that sat on the floor and I mounted my pedals on a board and had them on a stand beside me so that in-between tunes I didnt look like an exercise instructor bending over to adjust parameters. This is one of the reasons I love the VG-99. Waist high tweakability. Footpedals are so last century for me. Theyre great in the studio but for live use theyre more than a hassle if you want to use them for more than one sound per gig.

Make it three; it can't be that hard to do, can it?

Bill Ruppert

Quote from:  sec6
Not impressed.  And the kick the reverb tank thing--how embarrassing. Is EHX making tools for guitarists or novelty noise makers?  That ring mod setting was very unpleasant.

How Embarrassing???
Where have you been? EHX has been make novelty noise makers (as you call it ) since 1969 for all sorts of "novelty musicians" like Pink Floyd and King Crimson.
And you know what?  I have made a living in the studio making "novelty sounds" for TV and Radio commercials for 35 years!!!!
HOW EMBARRASSING is that!!!
Ring mods are discordant, I am sorry some one should have warned you. Next time I use ring mod I will do my best to make it more pleasant for you.
For now I love the way that sounds.

Chumly

Mr Rupe, happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. Happy for your command of everything guitar, and sad because I'm not of the same calibre; but if you were my neighbour I'd invite you over for a fine meal from time to time, in the hopes of learning a bit!
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Bill Ruppert

Of course not sec6.
What gets my goat is, here we are on a experimental VG guitars site and I hear the phrase "novelty noise maker".
The truth the Roland VG-99 is a giant novelty noise maker and that is why I love it.
Its when you button stuff up and make it for a "guitarist" is when you you pull a Boss and stop the knob at 7 instead of going to 12.
The original trem in the oceans went to 7 and I pushed to make go to 12 and drive into ring mod territory.
To not be buttoned up...to make noises.
Sorry if I jumped down your throat.

Bill Ruppert

Chumly....whats for dinner Ill be right over.
Im starved.

mchad

There's some cool sounds in that reverb pedal. Same with their Canyon delay. But I get the functionality frustrations.

I thought ring mod sucked until I heard Bill's demo here. At 2:31, that is a wonderful sound.

Rhcole

It's true- many EHX boxes get into "you must be joking!" territory. If you don't like it, you learn not to turn the knobs there.

Bill, I think Roland products can do that too. But, unlike EHX, it always seems like they designed the bizarre hidden features by accident. Mike Matthews on the other hand has always proudly let his "freak flag fly"...

bosetuno

Quote from: mchad on May 30, 2018, 04:40:54 PM
There's some cool sounds in that reverb pedal. Same with their Canyon delay. But I get the functionality frustrations.

I thought ring mod sucked until I heard Bill's demo here. At 2:31, that is a wonderful sound.

I bought it just because of that particular sound in the video. Then I discovered my old Boss GT3 had a similar algorithm, tha inteligent mode on the Ring Modulator. I does not have exactly the same texture, but is pretty much that sound.

Anyway, the ring thing is an amazing box. I wish I could have more presets or midi and the same assignable control as on the Boss GT...

For some reason the EH seems to me the most transparent to the sound of the guitar (I mean the dry sound) from the ones I have

jassy

Quote from: alexmcginness on May 30, 2018, 07:30:06 AM
Absolutely agree!!

Elantric

I actually placed an order for the EHX- Oceans 11 Reverb pedal - ( will be here next week)

have many gigs this summer with surf band and this one pedal in the gig bag means i can sit in with a band  anywhere and get all my surf tones

ffata

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on May 30, 2018, 04:28:24 PM
The truth the Roland VG-99 is a giant novelty noise maker and that is why I love it.

Quote from: bosetuno on May 31, 2018, 02:46:27 AM
I bought it just because of that particular sound in the video. Then I discovered my old Boss GT3 had a similar algorithm, tha inteligent mode on the Ring Modulator. I does not have exactly the same texture, but is pretty much that sound.
Anyway, the ring thing is an amazing box. I wish I could have more presets or midi and the same assignable control as on the Boss GT...

A little late here but FWIW I saved these posts from long ago about the VG-99 Ring Mod.
Thanks to forum members vanceg_2000 and mooncaine.

Re: [vg-99] Neat "trick" with Ring mod
Posted by: "MoonCaine"  mooncaine@gmail.com

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:37 am (PST)
Hey, I'm glad you mentioned that... now I do recall noticing the
magic setting of 48, but your post actually drew my attention to it.

Try numbers 24, 48, 72, and 96. They all sound pretty interesting and
subtle, too. I am hearing a kind of octave fuzz effect ala the Fuzz
Face with the Ring Mod set to 24 [always with Intelligent mode, of
course]

--moonie

On Dec 17, 2007, at 10:47 PM, vanceg_2000 wrote:

> Just a little thing that I noticed:
> The Ring Mod effect has a mode called "intelligent" . In this mode, the
> modulation signal's pitch tracks the incoming signal pitch. The
> "frequency" control then becomes some sort of scaling offset for that
> modulation signal. All cool.All in the manual.
>
> Try setting the Frequency to 48 - this seems to set the modulation
> signal to the same frequency as the signal. This produces an "in
> tune" ring modulation effect.
>
> Nice.
>
> I find this a cool was to just add some color to a sound without
> adding a vividly inharmonic component to it as most ring mods do.
>
> What was interesting to me is that a value of 48 (as opposed to 50,
> which is right in the middle of the available values) would be most
> "in tune".
>
> Just a neat thing. nothing shocking.

chrish

Quote from: Elantric on June 08, 2018, 02:24:24 PM
I actually placed an order for the EHX- Oceans 11 Reverb pedal - ( will be here next week)

have many gigs this summer with surf band and this one pedal in the gig bag means i can sit in with a band  anywhere and get all my surf tones
I figured you would order one. ;) It's like that verb was designed for surfing the waves.

mooncaine

Glad to help, ffata. Thanks for the mention.

On the Vg-99's intelligent ring mod, it turns out that any multiple of 8 is magic. You also get interesting fifths or forths from some of the numbers that divide by 4. If you want the ring mod to sound definitely odd, yet still sound like a melody, try keeping it in intelligent mode but using an odd number.

I'm in the process of joining a prog band right now. If it works out with 'em, I'll probably be breaking out some ring mod tricks with those folks. Thanks for reminding me about it!

Elantric

Quote from: Elantric on June 08, 2018, 02:24:24 PM

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26605443/

Oceans Eleven pedal arrived just in time to take it to rehearsal with surf band

Only had time to try the "SPRING" setting -

I can easily state EHX Oceans Eleven pedal is the best emulation of a genuine '63 Fender tube reverb I own.

very happy ! ( And Ive tried Hardwire RV-7, SolidGold SurfRider III,  Mr Black "Deluxe Plus, Catalinbread Topanga

I got word that EHX purchased a genuine early 60's Fender Tube Reverb as a reference when coding the Oceans Eleven DSP  - and it shows big time , IMHO they captured the real deal tone, reverb tail, and drip.
I was connected Guitar> Oceans Eleven > Fender SuperChamp XD clean channel.

Oceans Eleven  - Passes the palm mute at bridge while playing to nail the Astronauts "BAJA" tone from '63.

whippinpost91850

Looks like I need to get one of these..thanks for the review

admin

alexmcginness

I hate these demos. ;-) Now I " have" to get one.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Smash

All that work, all those tones....in mono? Struggling to understand that decision