KATANA- Gumtown's Katana AMP GUI Control (MIDI over USB) with Android

Started by gumtown, January 02, 2018, 01:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Quote from:  Erjimipey on May 10, 2018, 09:07:03 AM
I'm using this editor with my phone successfully, but I can't import *.tsl files, only *.kat files. But those *.kat files are not found when you download patches from the web,everything is in *. tsl.

Have you been able to import patches with this software? Do you know if there's a way to convert tsl into kat files with FxFloorBoard or Boss Tone Studio?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Which version?

AFAIK the latest version remains a work in progress and not able to communicate with the Katana Amp

Erjimipey

The FxFloorBoard for Android doesn't connect, but this one does. It is missing a few things, like access to some effects, but it works...

Don't know the version number, but I downloaded the file from this thread...

admin

Quote from:  Erjimipey on May 10, 2018, 10:32:43 AM
The FxFloorBoard for Android doesn't connect, but this one does. It is missing a few things, like access to some effects, but it works...

Don't know the version number, but I downloaded the file from this thread...

Version 13 was last known working from Condor - the original developer

Condor's original Katana Editor for Android Phone "KatanaEditor13"
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20234.0;attach=15750
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20234.50

Erjimipey

Yes, that is the one I'm using.

But I cannot use the parametric eq effect, neither can I use any other extension type than the *.kat.

Have you been able to import or export patches or livesets in other formats?

admin

Quote from:  Erjimipey on May 10, 2018, 11:12:15 AM
Yes, that is the one I'm using.

But I cannot use the parametric eq effect, neither can I use any other extension type than the *.kat.

Have you been able to import or export patches or livesets in other formats?

No  idea what the *.kat format is  - that was a creation of Condor in Germany (the Original developer) in early 2017

There will not be access to Parametric EQ, as that did not exist in prior Katana Firmware

Erjimipey

I see... Well, anyway it is working while we have another Android version available. At least I can edit my boosters and some effects in more depth than with the physical knobs.

Thanks Admsustainiac!

vtgearhead

Hi, Gumtown.  Were you ever able to make progress on MIDI connectivity under Android?

gumtown

Quote from:  vtgearhead on May 21, 2018, 04:57:50 AM
Hi, Gumtown.  Were you ever able to make progress on MIDI connectivity under Android?

Hmmm, I sort got a bit sidetracked.
When stuff gets hard to do, I  seem to go off on a tangent doing something else.
I have had that project on my mind recently, the GT-1FxFloorBoard editor seems to be done for now.

The only outstanding issue was after my computer was upgraded (replaced), the Android development environment has been a little stubborn at running.
That is almost sorted, and I can soon resume trying to decode the mysteries of Android Midi with C++

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vtgearhead

Yes, it's the well-known Principle of Minimum Pushback.  One always tends towards fruitful directions.

It's hard to believe you're the first person who's ever tried to talk to MIDI devices from C++ code on Android.  Is there really nothing out there for examples?  Or, are you truly blazing new trails?

admin

Quote from:  vtgearhead on May 22, 2018, 08:39:18 AM
Yes, it's the well-known Principle of Minimum Pushback.  One always tends towards fruitful directions.

It's hard to believe you're the first person who's ever tried to talk to MIDI devices from C++ code on Android.  Is there really nothing out there for examples?  Or, are you truly blazing new trails?

https://source.android.com/devices/audio/midi

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/media/midi/package-summary

http://superpowered.com/android-usb-audio-android-midi

http://superpowered.com/docs/index.html

vtgearhead

Looks like the "Superpowered" API has the potential to solve all the problems.  However, the fact that there's no pricing displayed suggests "..if you have to ask, you cannot afford it".  Unless they have a hobbyist's or Open Source program, it probably entails a big-$$$ bulk-licensing fee.

admin

Quote from:  vtgearhead on May 22, 2018, 09:50:30 AM
Looks like the "Superpowered" API has the potential to solve all the problems.  However, the fact that there's no pricing displayed suggests "..if you have to ask, you cannot afford it".  Unless they have a hobbyist's or Open Source program, it probably entails a big-$$$ bulk-licensing fee.

http://superpowered.com/faq-audio-for-mobile-ios-android

==

Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Superpowered cost? What are the licensing terms?
The entire Superpowered Audio SDK license has free and paid licenses. We want your app to be super-powerful and incredibly successful, so we've engineered a free, fully featured license of Superpowered. Superpowered can used to create unlimited apps as long as 1) the the total number of app-installs number less than 500,000, 2) the app is publicly distributed and 3) features the Superpowered splash screen. For questions, please contact us at hello@superpowered.com.

If Superpowered SDK offers a free version, then what is your business model?
Our business model sees us licensing our SDK to organizations that are building embedded/pre-bundled/pre-installed apps or have app-footprints above 500,000 total app-installs. Lastly, we also provide paid support options too. Please contact us at hello@superpowered.com with details.

How does Superpowered compare to Core Audio by Apple and to OpenSL ES?
With advances in computational signal processing, The Superpowered Audio SDK offers more features, takes significantly less development time, and provides higher audio quality and less CPU/battery usage. Developers can compare Superpowered to Core Audio by Apple and to OpenSL ES.

Do you have any case studies of apps running Superpowered as their audio infrastructure?
Thanks for asking.We do. Check out how and why Crossfader chose to become superpowered for our iOS Crossfader case study.

I occasionally experience hiccoughs while backgrounding apps using Core Audio, will Superpowered fix this?
Absolutely! The Superpowered Audio SDK runs independently of the media server daemon, directly inside your app, so no hiccoughs.

Where can I find code samples and documentation?
Download the Superpowered Audio SDK, which has example project and the documentation for all Superpowered audio units. You can view Superpowered Audio documentation here.

How does Superpowered technology work?
The heart of Superpowered is a set of patent-pending DSP (digital signal processing) and computational signal processing optimization methods that deliver high performance and energy efficiency through matching algorithms to processor architecture. Superpowered technology is designed to leverage ARM® architecture, allowing it improve the performance of 99.99% of all mobile devices manufactured.

How was Superpowered technology developed?
Superpowered technology was borne of the frustration that Superpowered CTO, Gabor Szanto, felt when he tried to use resource-hungry audio algorithms, designed for desktops, such as time-stretching and pitch-shifting to power his DJ Player App for iOS. Gabor realized he had to tackle the problem head-on and build the algorithms from scratch so that they would function well in the severely constrained mobile environment.

What are the technical requirements and/or dependencies?
Superpowered is designed for ARM powered® devices with the ARM® NEON™ architecture extension. Practically speaking, this covers 99% of all mobile devices, from smartphones to tablets to emerging products in wearable computing. It runs on X86 (Intel processors) too. There is no other dependency. Superpowered is a pure software solution with no hardware modification required.

Where does Superpowered sit in the software stack?
Since Superpowered has no dependency on third-party components or OS features, so it doesn't matter which software stack or operating system runs on top. Superpowered can be embedded in any software, at any level, such as iOS apps, Android™ apps or even Android™ OS flavors.

How long does it take to integrate?
The Superpowered Audio SDK takes less than a working day to integrate.

Can you provide benchmarking data?
The Superpowered Audio SDK contains an example app showing how easy it is to get started with Superpowered, and how easy it is to measure audio performance. The example app is also useful for comparing against Apple's Core Audio and vDSP too.

How about DSP for image and video processing?
Superpowered optimization methods greatly enhance image and video processing efficiency (codecs, etc.). Image and video SDKs will be released in the near future.

Is there any offline mode?
Superpowered can be used in both real-time and offline "modes". More precisely, Superpowered doesn't 'care' if it runs in a real-time audio callback or processes offline. It just works with the highest performance possible. The SDK includes a simple offline processing example project too.

How do I get started?
Easy. Download the Superpowered Audio SDK.

http://superpowered.com/faq-audio-for-mobile-ios-android#get_superpowered

vtgearhead

I'll be d*amned.. I could not find a license or fee statement on that site to save my life.  Actually dropped them e-mail to ask about it.  Thanks for your usual diligence!

Gumtown:  Is this not a reasonable option?

gumtown

Looking through it now, and it looks feasible.
In the documentation, they mention the USB I/O classes are open-source.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vtgearhead

Apparently the MIDI library is in pre-release, but they have a link to request access.  Hopefully this is the ticket.

Erjimipey

Ahhhh, if only we could have a Floorboard Android version for our Katanas..... Don't give up, guys, please! And thanks again for your work so far!

vtgearhead

Yes, I'm waiting patiently as well.  Gumtown is a busy guy with a lot of irons in the fire, but I have the utmost confidence in him.

Nicko453

Quote from: admin on April 25, 2018, 07:49:56 AM
AFAIK "Condors USB driver" is actually the Linux Jack Audio driver which began being included with Android 6.01 OS or newer. 
It also must use a Compatible Android device with USB Host Adapter to make a connection

I know this is very old, but I was cruising by and noticed this.

The Katana does not use a compliant MIDI protocol (it does not present an Audio Class Interface which is a mandatory part of the USB/MIDI spec) and therefore is not recognised by standard USB/MIDI network stacks (ie software).  "Condor's USB driver" has been modified to ignore the differences between 'Katana MIDI' and standard MIDI and to establish the connection appropriately.

N

gumtown

I threw this one in long ago,
the last straw was issues with Oracle licensing for Java JDK and my corporate licensed Windows laptop.
I had to the remove java development JDK libraries since Oracle now charge for it's use.