Katana - another goofy functionality flaw

Started by dazco, March 30, 2018, 06:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazco

Well, IMO at least but i can't see how anyone wouldn't consider it a flaw. Anyways i posted to see if it is indeed the case or if i'm missing something. I'm talking about the default parameter each effect sets at the amp. For example, if i activate the chorus, the knob on the amp adjusts the rate ! Seriously, who would want that to be the default parameter that at a gig instead of effect level? What boss was thinking here is beyond me, but the question is am i missing something like a way to get it to default to making the amp knob adjust whatever parameter you choose?

admin

Quote from: dazco on March 30, 2018, 06:30:02 AM
Well, IMO at least but i can't see how anyone wouldn't consider it a flaw. Anyways i posted to see if it is indeed the case or if i'm missing something. I'm talking about the default parameter each effect sets at the amp. For example, if i activate the chorus, the knob on the amp adjusts the rate ! Seriously, who would want that to be the default parameter that at a gig instead of effect level? What boss was thinking here is beyond me, but the question is am i missing something like a way to get it to default to making the amp knob adjust whatever parameter you choose?

Removing these arbitrary control assignments is something we've been begging boss for 18 months now no solution has been delivered yet ( and seem likely will never get changed )

dazco

Ok, then how about this one....another idiot functionality quirk. I Use delay 2 because it's the only way i can use chorus along with it that works for me. So i started using delay 2 on all my patches. I tested it at the amp by adjusting th knob and was relieved to find the knob not only defaulted to delay amount, but also that it did not revert to reverb if i touched the knob. All good...............till today. Today i tried to adjust delay level only to find it DID revert to reverb ! So i tried it on all the patches in the amp and it only happens on the lead channel. The other patches stay as delay when i adjust the reverb knob which controls delay 2 when thats used. I looked in BTS and floorboard looking for something different in that patch but could find nothing. Why won't delay 2 stay intact on lead channel patches when you try to adjust the delay level at the amp? And lastly, i dunno what boss engineers were taking when they designed the effects functionality in this thing but i'd like to know so i can avoid it ! Every day that goes by it seems i find another screwed up functionality quirk. By the time i have it all figured out i'll probably be sh**-canning the entire range of the kat's effects and using outboard stuff. Wouldn't be bothered if the amp came sans effects, but the fact is we paid for them ! I wish the artist had come with none and a $150-200 lower price tag.

vtgearhead

No one will disagree that some of Roland's design choices were odd, nor that the firmware has buggy behavior in some areas.

When Gumtown gets the MIDI connectivity working on his Android tablet port, we'll have a direct means for making deep adjustments in live situations.  Controlling the amp with sysex messages completely side-steps the lack of panel usability.

dazco

Well, you will, i won't. I don't have or intend to own a cell phone. Reasons aren't important but in any case it won't help me.
Meanwhile, the question still remains.....anyone know why on my two patches that use the lead channel the delay 2 turns to reverb when i touch the reverb knob on the amp while other patches i have using delay 2 allow me to adjust the delay level rather than turning from delay to verb? I am using delay 2 on all my patchs and that happens only on some, apparently the lead channel patches but it could affect others for all i know depending on some other criteria i have yet to determine. Another issue with delay 2 is that i cannot turn delay 2 on in boss tone tone studio, only in floorboard. with no other effects on at all if i go to delay 2 the on/off button is off and turning the reverb knob above doesn't turn it on.

vtgearhead

To each their own, but FYI I do not own nor use a "smart" phone.  I don't trust the security model as far as I could hurl one of the blasted things.  Still carrying around a "dumb" phone for emergencies and when traveling, but that's the extent of it.

I do use an Android tablet for control of our Behringer X18 at gigs, but that's all it's used for and I never keep personal information of any sort on either it or my iPad (the latter mostly used for reading newspapers and eBooks).  At some point the security and trust models for portable devices will be at my comfort level, but we're not there yet.  Not by a long shot.

dazco

I figured it out. In boss tone studio i go to the effects tab and in the reverb section each of the three colors, green red and yellow all have drop down menus for "mode", "delay2" and "reverb". I set the modes of all three colors to delay, set all three under delay2 to digital, (for some reason i prefer digital delay on this amp) then set all 3 under reverb to plate even tho i will have that off. Just in case they went on somehow i prefer plate. Somehow, and i'm not even sure how, i got reverb to the off position and the delay2 to on. theres no way i can see to set each one to on or off individually but thats how it ended up. If i cannot recreate this for other patches i'll copy this patch to another slot and recreate the amp settings from the patch i wanted to add delay2 too. What a freakin fiasco. But at least now i get delay only on the reverb knob on the amp and can adjust the level of delay w/o the reverb coming on.

I really think boss dropped the ball on a great opportunity by not completely redoing the FV functionality on the artist. Im talking a LCD or some indication system so you could adjust most anything on the amps and use all the effects seperately with better switching option w/o the GAFC or whatever that switch is called. Thats would have made it a incredible amp that would have had pretty much every katana 50/100 owner salivating to jump into a artist. then the price difference would be indisputable as a worthy upgrade even to the most skeptical critics. For me it would literally make it my dream amp.

dazco

Quote from: vtgearhead on March 30, 2018, 09:47:05 AM
No one will disagree that some of Roland's design choices were odd, nor that the firmware has buggy behavior in some areas.

When Gumtown gets the MIDI connectivity working on his Android tablet port, we'll have a direct means for making deep adjustments in live situations.  Controlling the amp with sysex messages completely side-steps the lack of panel usability.

Hey, i just got a prepaid cell that i will use as an emergency phone. But i think it's android, but not sure. I know nothing about cell phones and thier OS's etc. How do i tell if it will work with that app and any idea when it will be done? I mean, ballpark....months, years ? Has he said? Also, i assume the charging port be where you'd connect it to the Kat? I know....i'm very very tech challenged.

admin

Quote from: dazco on April 05, 2018, 03:31:57 PM
Hey, i just got a prepaid cell that i will use as an emergency phone. But i think it's android, but not sure. I know nothing about cell phones and thier OS's etc. How do i tell if it will work with that app and any idea when it will be done? I mean, ballpark....months, years ? Has he said? Also, i assume the charging port be where you'd connect it to the Kat? I know....i'm very very tech challenged.

Be specific - what is the make / model phone ?

My girlfriend recently acquired an LG Android Tracfone - and its surprisingly a decent phone - very cheap $$

the big deal is "Does your Android Phone have a working USB OTG adapter?"

dazco

It's a samsung galaxy luna and says android. Version 6.0.1

dazco

Eh, not a big deal. Just thought since i have the thing may as well see. Thanks.