nervous Nellie...(Roland C-24G cable )

Started by Mykl, March 18, 2018, 11:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mykl

Back in the mid 90's, I got one of the last 24 pin cables from Roland. Recently, I started using my GR707 daily, running into a midi device. I've NEVER had so much fun playing guitar as I am now, but in the back of my mind is the realization that if that cable breaks, I'm looking at quite an expense in time and effort to replace it. Presently, I don't unplug the cable and I lay the guitar flat to try to prevent strain on the cable/connectors. None of my guitar stands will fit that guitar especially when it is plugged in.
So here is the question:

What steps can I take to ensure that cable lasts a really long time?
I have seen strain relief wraps for cell phones and other small cables, but none for a cable this size. I don't want to use electrical tape, because that stuff is simply nasty, the glue seeps all over. The cable is one of the newer, non-repairable style.

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?
THNX

admin

Quote from: Mykl on March 18, 2018, 11:32:03 AM
Back in the mid 90's, I got one of the last 24 pin cables from Roland. Recently, I started using my GR707 daily, running into a midi device. I've NEVER had so much fun playing guitar as I am now, but in the back of my mind is the realization that if that cable breaks, I'm looking at quite an expense in time and effort to replace it. Presently, I don't unplug the cable and I lay the guitar flat to try to prevent strain on the cable/connectors. None of my guitar stands will fit that guitar especially when it is plugged in.
So here is the question:

What steps can I take to ensure that cable lasts a really long time?
I have seen strain relief wraps for cell phones and other small cables, but none for a cable this size. I don't want to use electrical tape, because that stuff is simply nasty, the glue seeps all over. The cable is one of the newer, non-repairable style.

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?
THNX

Apply the same procedures we recommend for maintaining 13 pin cables

Learn to wind your 24 pin cable  correctly and keep the electrical contact pins de-oxidized

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

chrish

Chances are it's going to be the cable that fails or the cable connection to the plug ends, unless something catastrophic accident happens where a car runs over it or something.

You can always replace that 24 pin cable with 25 pin computer cable and either make up the connections yourself with some soldering skills or try to hire the project out.

And as far as a car running over it we had a violin player in one of our band incarnations who was also a violin maker.

He just finished making a violin that had a value of around $10,000.

After practice one night, he got into the car without the violin for the drive home.

He had placed the violin behind the car  leaned up against the bumper and we all heard it Crush as the car backed up. So that kind of thing does happen.

Mykl