VB-99- Improving sustain and sound

Started by Metalman, February 26, 2010, 10:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metalman

Learned something over the last couple of months that may help others. I first set up the GK3 the normal way using the metal bridge attachment on a Gibson Flying V. The pickup kept digging into my hand so I reversed it and made a world of difference. I put the pickup as close to the bridge as possible like the manual says. I noticed on alot of patches the sustain would die out really quick and the high strings sounded dead on the synth and acoustic patches. Pickup to string distances were correct so I suspected the high strings resonance dies out quicker the closer to the bridge you get. The thoughtful guys at roland musta known this so they they made the GK3 bridge mount so it pivots out on one side (woulda been better if both sides did). So I have the bottom strings a fixed distance and the high strings pivoted as far away as the mount allows from the bridge. I also shimmed up the low string side. I now have sustain and way better sound. It made a huge difference. It is is so critical to have the pickup set up right or it will sound like shyt.

A2theT

I've never experienced this issue at all.  I have tons of sustain and have no problems creating natural feedback with it either.  Have you not adjusted your GK Sensitivity settings for each magnet?  its built into the VG.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Elantric

I have seen this issue on some guitars. Remember the physical method of how magnetic pickups work. There is a good article on Wikipedia. The strings sustain is  controlled by magnetic flux polarity of all the pickups on the guitar , including the GK-3A.  Some combinations of magnetic polarity in specific physical locations may restrict sustain. It's similar physics of how the Moog Guitar can make a Banjo sound, as they use a variable Electromagnet on each pickup.

As a drastic test - remove all magnetic pickups from your guitar and use ONLY the GK-3. Most players will notice increased sustain.

Make an audio  recording

then reinstall a normal Mag pickup.

Make another recording.

If you have another Mag pickup , reinstall it and make a third recording.

Then judge which config has the most sustain. 

A2theT

agreed.  in this situation there could def be an issue.  i'm currently building a GK only guitar and was wondering if its a bad idea to pigeon hole myself.  it will be strange having all that real estate to play with where normal pickups would be routed out.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Metalman

I use extra light strings (.008) and am sure that makes a difference too. I have a GK-2 on another Vee that I use for guitar synths and it is right up against the pickup. Alot further away from the bridge and sounds great. Only problem is that the strings are wearing away at the GK from hitting it.

Ddropski

is there any chance you can post a pic of your pick up setup I'm having similar problems

I would greatly appreciate it 

admin

I would download a few of the VB-99 patches we have here
Many of them have lots of sustain-  that would isolate if it's the fault of an inadequate noise suppressor setting on your VB 99
And check / disable the N. S.  ( Noise Suppressor) in the GK PU settings

admin

Quote from: Ddropski on January 17, 2019, 06:08:59 AM
is there any chance you can post a pic of your pick up setup I'm having similar problems

I would greatly appreciate it

Be sure you mounted the GK-3B PU correctly on your Bass

Read the GK Bass thread area
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=82.0

Bass with GK-3B Pics thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3761.0

fokof

Haven't had that on any of my basses

Is there a lack of sustain on bass emulations too ?
Big difference between your normal bass and COSM emulations ?