Powered 212 stereo cab

Started by mercury1, December 20, 2017, 10:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mercury1

After many years of using , tweaking , compensating and sometimes just coping with the Gr-55 , I'm once again searching for alternatives to my present amplification woes. The problem I have always has been consistency. Because I primarily use Brian Moore guitars with RMC piezo setup and the opt-1 subsonic filter my gain structure has always been hard to nail down. I've gotten pretty good at editing the gr-55 to achieve my goals but in amplifying the end result I get a floating sound quality due to the gain level of the aux stereo input. Sometimes it sounds unbelieveably good and other times it just sounds like crap. I would like to plug into something without a gain or volume knob or anything that could change slightly from day to day as this disturbs my levels which brings me finally to my topic.
I have considered many of the amp suggestions all have made.The K4 is scarce the kc880 is expensive and heavy, I tried the Cube 80ex (aux in) and I'm kinda underwhelmed . What I really think is missing in the marketplace is a simple powered 212 stereo cab as most people these days are using preamps,modeling units,etc. I have pondered what I could mount in my Carvin 212 stereo cab as a built in amp .Some ideas were Stewart pa100b or pa200, a Crate powerblock (with the preamp removed ) or maybe a kit ampboard I could assemble myself. I went as far as buying a Crate gx130c with issues and removing the preamp which would work great but I cant seem to locate the problem that has the transistor bias out of spec. nor is there any tech I could find to resolve the issue. So I'm back on the hunt again .I appreciate the heads up on the Eden em275 as I probably would have bought one had it not been for the negative reviews here.
I Really want something stereo with 10's or 12's but a grand  for the kc880 especially if the horns are prone to blow seems wrong . Street cube and 220 are too weak. I have 2 Peavey Kb300's but they're too big. What I have works when it decides to sound good just like to lose the head. Sorry to ramble on ....anybody have any suggestions
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

maglich

Hello,

My suggestion would be to consider a Power Engine from Tech 21. It's a 60w powered 1x12, sounds good and it's very reliable. You obviously would need two but that has a couple of pros: they are lighter, modular and you can adjust your stereo image as needed. Also, the other big plus is that with the speakers in two different enclosures you will encounter less phasing problems. Not many 2x12 have baffles to separate the comes.

This is the best non-FRFR solution to my knowledge,l and I hope that helps!

Smash

Unless you're not using the synth sounds in the GR you need full range cabs. Powered guitar cabs will be, unsurprisingly, very flattering to the guitar and amp emulations but your keyboard sounds will sound like....well like sticking your phone earbuds in manky old woolen socks before sticking them in your ears!

jobs for jobs. If you set up your tones in a studio type environment on monitors or HiFi speakers then get flat response speakers so there's no surprises when you crank the tones in live situations.

Yamaha DXR10 or 12 will serve you very well....

mercury1

Interesting products, thanks for the suggestions. Are the stereo keyboard amps baffled ? That's something I haven't considered. I will try out one of the Tech's if I can find one locally. The seventy-80 is close to the carvin's frequency response. I have powered pa speakers like the yamaha and they sound great on the synth stuff.
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

admin

This thread covers why FRFR powered PA cabs are preferred for MIDI Guitar

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.0

But when I need to sit in with a band and play just guitar tones , i use my Katana.

Luckily I can afford to own, warehouse and use the right tools for each gig's requirements.

Same reason I own multiple guitars, multiple fly rigs, multiple studio rigs. 

But each year the tech improves and is possible to " prune the herd of gear" and concentrate on a few key product technologies that gets me close enough with fewer tools

Often its only me that cares , the audience still listens with their eyes
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4900.0

mercury1

I have the Katana 112 also and that is the primary reason to downsize the Gr-55 rig with a consolidated powered 212 I can set the Katana on and have all the tools at my disposal without looking like a megalomaniac, which I probably am, but I try to keep it on the " down low" lol....thanks

admin

My latest path for a powered 212 cab

Main purpose is for Kemper

* Modify a Katana 212 closed back cab
* swap stock speakers for a pair of  12" Kemper Kone speakers.

* Two Warwick Gnome 200watt micro Bass amps with XLR DI Outputs mounted to rear mounted  rack shelf

I was going to use an icePower 200AS2 , but the pair of Warwick Gnome Amps  provide a similar Class D experience with more useful features and better performance for same price as the
icePower 200AS2 200 watt stereo amp  imported into USA from Italy dealer.

philjynx

Quote from: admin on December 21, 2017, 07:54:20 AM

Often its only me that cares , the audience still listens with their eyes

Not from a performer's point of view, just from being at small gigs, often the audience isn't listening AT ALL. Fans who've paid admission and been looking forward to Pink Floyd & the like, they listen...

admin

Quote from: philjynx on September 13, 2021, 01:03:00 PM

Not from a performer's point of view, just from being at small gigs, often the audience isn't listening AT ALL. Fans who've paid admission and been looking forward to Pink Floyd & the like, they listen...

Today's live gig hurdle for most of us working local venues  is getting  folks to even acknowledge  there is live entertainment available in the corner of the room.

Here's my typical live gig view from the stage at gig last month, until I break into my Dick Dale medley -that always gets their attention

philjynx

A pox on the smartphone-never-actually-present-generation. I actively avoid the company of phone addicts (if you can call it company).
He said, writing this on a phone....

admin

Quote from: philjynx on September 13, 2021, 01:16:03 PM
A pox on the smartphone-never-actually-present-generation. I actively avoid the company of phone addicts (if you can call it company).
He said, writing this on a phone....

Net result of your plan A

philjynx

Quote from: admin on September 13, 2021, 01:22:35 PM
Net result of your plan A

That's too many people!
But actually, no, my avoidance strategy leaves enough people - actually in the here and now, even blessed with an attention span, for my needs.

gumtown

Quote from: admin on September 13, 2021, 01:12:52 PM
Today's live gig hurdle for most of us working local venues  is getting  folks to even acknowledge  there is live entertainment available in the corner of the room.

Here's my typical live gig view from the stage at gig last month, until I break into my Dick Dale medley -that always gets their attention

Looks like some of my gigs from the past few years.
My singer (whom is well known for foot-in-mouth antics) verbally displayed his dislike to the cellphone crowd one night,
and lets just say we now have a mutual reciprocating understanding with the bar manager that we won't play at that venue anymore. 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Big Jim

For small gigs and rehearsals I am currently using a Crate Power Block in strereo to 2 Peavey Scorpions 10" mounted in some DIY wedges.
Although they aren't FRFR the do a great job for guitar tones and effects.

whippinpost91850

I used asc 200 to power my Kemper Klone Kabinet
Kemper uses Icepower, because it doesn't really color the tone
But Warwicks seem cool

thebrushwithin

Before they released the powered cab, Christoph Kemper recommended this one, and many gave positive reviews, with minor tone control adjustments. https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DI5

whippinpost91850

They use the Icepower in the powered Kempers

admin

Quote from: thebrushwithin on September 13, 2021, 03:21:50 PM
Before they released the powered cab, Christoph Kemper recommended this one, and many gave positive reviews, with minor tone control adjustments. https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DI5

There is a thread at TGP where they compare the TC BAM200 to Warwick Gnome,  both apparently knock off of Trace Elliott ELF

Later this month I'll report Gnome vs IcePower 200ASC for Kemper and Kemper Kone speaker

admin

vtgearhead

Quote from: admin on September 13, 2021, 01:12:52 PM

Looks like many of the places I play.  The pinnacle of weirdness was starting our first set at a trendy bar in Hanover, NH with the dance floor packed.  Unfortunately, they all had their backs to us and were doing whatever folks that age do with phones for 75% of their waking hours.  We've learned that this issue is orders-of-magnitude worse in college towns.  If we stick to the boondocks folks are far more into the music.