13-pin to 24-pin converter...

Started by susbemol, March 11, 2017, 03:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on August 07, 2019, 05:10:03 PM
guys, just curious, is there any real difference between a bass and guitar version of a converter like this? . . . , but he says its for bass only.

Post the URL link?

pinkjimiphoton

in case my question ever comes up again, i contacted the guy in france who made it, he said no diff between guitar and bass converter boxes.

"HI
It need to be an old prototype!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but normally you could play six string guitar with it
without mod!!!!!!!!!!!!
when you wire for BASS
6 string pickup are wired 654321
and if you use 4 string BASS you wire the four string on 5432 (vbass vg99)
so the NC knob on the box control string 1 and 6
6 knobs control sense like this
543216 (or 6 before1....i don t remember)

YOHAN"

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on August 07, 2019, 05:10:03 PM
guys, just curious, is there any real difference between a bass and guitar version of a converter like this? thinking about buying one, seems to have all the matching controls to my g202 controller, including 6 string knobs, but he says its for bass only. i am skeptical, and thinking i should nab it if even just for parts to build my own.

i can't see there being much of a diff, a roland synth is a roland synth i'm imagining.

thanks for the advice!

No real difference in the convertor, just in the synth itself!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

pinkjimiphoton

guys, i have the gerber files for the bx13 design that drjoness did (with his permission, of course) if anybody needs them, pm me and i will email them to you. you can get the boards burned at a lot of different places, probably be fairly cheap to do. then get your local pedal geek to do the build for you.
(See attached file)

hopefully gonna work up the 24 to 13 pin adapter as well soon, looking at it, it kinda looks like you could have it still control a 24 pin synth too... i gotta research more, but i think it could  just tap into the wiring for the multi pin jack passively and continue on to the older synth, looks like the audio is already gonna be buffered anyways, right?

anyways... i have NOT yet burned the boards for the bx13 yet, soon as i get a little spare cash and time.
peace

susbemol

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with this. I built one using a PCB that is sadly no longer available (plus it had a couple of mistakes in it) and it would be really great to have this for any future projects.

jipegonzo

Quote from: Shingles on October 06, 2017, 05:12:59 AM
I converted my G707 15 or more years ago..

I did it by removing all the 24-pin electronics system, including the pickup, and replacing it with a GK2 internal kit. It works great and is completely reversible. This guitar gives me the best pitch to MIDI tracking of any guitar I've tried with the Axon AX100, including my #1 Godin LGXT, so I guess that stabiliser bar is actually doing what it was advertised to do!

interesting ! is it possible to have some photos please ? thank you by advance :)

pinkjimiphoton

my bud did the layout, and i suspect there's some mistakes.
finally got aroundt to trying to build this on one of the messed up boards, as my friend doesn't have the time to fix the board layout.
anyways, i've got one built and working.
the gent who makes the replacement 24 pin cables had sent me two 9 foot 24 pin  cables to use with this. i had added 25 pin jacks and plugs to each end so that i could plug them into each other as a composite cable if i needed to.
i appear to have f'd up the pinout somehow tho, cuz i have good voltages on the pbc, but nearly no signal gets thru. if i bash the bejesus out of my 707 guitar, i can hear what sounds like a bunch of noise, and i CAN sometimes get each string to fire, but it's not right by any means.

i need to look at it after a spell, too close to it right now to see anything obvious.

also, on the boards laid out by my friend, NONE of the parts are labeled right to dr joness's schematic, which is even more infuriating.
so unless i can get him to figure out how bad this bites, i'd say this may be a dead end with this layout, unfortunately.

sucks. but is what it is. sourcing parts for this build was kind of a pia.

admin

Every PCB should start as a Schematic, Bill of Materials with reference designator,  and a Netlist

Seek those from whoever supplied your PCB

And know that DB25 pinout is pins #1-13  top row, , pins#14-25 bottom row