US-20 and Axon

Started by nevborn, October 09, 2009, 12:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nevborn

Hi there friendly plunkers!

Could anyone help out on this:

I run a GK-3 into a US-20 and then into a VG-99 and a Axon AX100 Mk II.

This is the problem: the Axon always gets its signal no matter how the switches are set on the US-20. And furthermore: If I swap the connections "Unit A" and "Unit B" there is no difference. (The latter suggests to me that the US-20 is not to blame in this scenario.)

Any thoughts? The only thing my tiny brain can come up with is that there is something else going on in the Axon input stage than in the Roland stuff. Might be something like this: the US-20 mutes all six signals by sending everything to ground. And the Axon does not use the same pin as ground so nothing happens?

Cheers!

Elantric

That's normal. The US 20 merely grounds the Volume Pot signal to the unit "not selected". In other words, the Axon should send a MIDI message to the MIDI sound source to tell it to take global volume to zero anytime the Axon is NOT selected by the US20.

bob e

I have the exact same set up.  I prefer to have channel A to vg and B to Axon because channel A transmitts control changes.   So, I use my up/down buttons on the guitar to switch virtual pick ups.  When Axon in channel A it reads that as preset up or down.  The way I'm currently coping with volume/blend nissue is that I use the FC300 exp. pedal 1 as VG channel AB mIX.  Exp pedal 2 as global volume.   Again, US 20 channel A to vg IN.  For the Axon, I use external Yamaha expression pedals in control 1 and 2.  One for volume, one for modulation.  Plus, a sustain pedal in the hold jack.  This lets me blend all the different levels and control various effect levels fairly easily.  I'm sure it could be set up better, i just haven't figured out how to yet.  I think the two togethr are a killer combo.  I get very positive response from most people about the diversity of sounds and the large, BIG sound I get.

MIDIme

nevborn

Hi!

Thanks Elantric! I solved the problem. (Well actually it didn´t. But it pointed me in the direction of Apples Mainstage. That´s where the problem was. But it seems like it was a bug because it sorted itself out when I upgraded to White Leopard.

And Bob E: Yeah! I really LOVE this setup! =)