Katana - MIDI Control Options

Started by admin, January 30, 2018, 12:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcknrllmn

Thank you all very much, have it working now.   ;D

easelec

I have a Katana 50 and have started (with the help of Gurbz MIDI Designer Pro templates) figuring out how to put together a virtual front panel that can run on my iPad.

I have my basic MIDI connection working (via a Raspberry Pi MIDI/bluetooth router) and have the Katana responding to the sysex I am sending.

I have had a look through the documents about the sysex that the Katana responds to but most of it documents older versions of the firmware. My current questions are:

• Can Program Change be used to recall the Katana 50's 4 presets (the presets are Bank A: Channel 1, Bank A: Channel 2, Bank B: Channel 1, Bank B: Channel 2)? Sending a PC message seems to always select Bank A: Channel 1 regardless of the PC message being sent). ANSWER: on the Katana 50 PC 0= Bank A Channel 1; PC 1 - Bank A Channel 2; PC 4 = Panel; PC5 = Bank B Channel 1; PC6 = BANK B Channel 2
  • are there sysex messages that recall/select the 4 presets? I found a document that mentions sysex messages for selecting the channel -- but nothing about selecting the bank. ADDED AFTER INITIAL POST: I can used sysex to switch between channel 1 and 2 but cannot figure out how to switch to the other bank.
  • WAH 95-E? Does anyone know the sysex for selecting the Wah 95-e which was added recently?

easelec

Quote from: easelec on August 07, 2019, 08:46:25 AM
I have a Katana 50 and have started (with the help of Gurbz MIDI Designer Pro templates) figuring out how to put together a virtual front panel that can run on my iPad.

I have my basic MIDI connection working (via a Raspberry Pi MIDI/bluetooth router) and have the Katana responding to the sysex I am sending.

I have had a look through the documents about the sysex that the Katana responds to but most of it documents older versions of the firmware. My current questions are:

• Can Program Change be used to recall the Katana 50's 4 presets (the presets are Bank A: Channel 1, Bank A: Channel 2, Bank B: Channel 1, Bank B: Channel 2)? Sending a PC message seems to always select Bank A: Channel 1 regardless of the PC message being sent). ANSWER: on the Katana 50 PC 0= Bank A Channel 1; PC 1 - Bank A Channel 2; PC 4 = Panel; PC5 = Bank B Channel 1; PC6 = BANK B Channel 2
  • are there sysex messages that recall/select the 4 presets? I found a document that mentions sysex messages for selecting the channel -- but nothing about selecting the bank. ADDED AFTER INITIAL POST: I can used sysex to switch between channel 1 and 2 but cannot figure out how to switch to the other bank.
  • WAH 95-E? Does anyone know the sysex for selecting the Wah 95-e which was added recently?

I just noticed that Gumtown's FXFloorboard displays the sysex messages it sends. So, I've been able to find answers to my questions.

admin

grinder

Quote from: admin on July 09, 2018, 10:24:12 AM
Those MIDI CC# in the table above will NOT work without the MIDX-20
http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20_page2.html
the MIDX-20 is doing the heavy lifting
Apologies for the question, but I 'm a complete newbie with this (just researching the subject the last couple of days): Does this mean that those CC# won't work with the Katana head without the MIDX-20? Thank you

easelec

Quote from: grinder on October 15, 2019, 10:53:11 AM
Apologies for the question, but I 'm a complete newbie with this (just researching the subject the last couple of days): Does this mean that those CC# won't work with the Katana head without the MIDX-20? Thank you

That CC# table is for a device (MIDC-20) that translates from CC to the Katana's native sysex. There are documents describing the Katana's native sysex implementation for talking to the amp if you don't have the MIDX-20.

admin

Quote from: easelec on October 15, 2019, 10:59:32 AM
That CC# table is for a device (MIDC-20) that translates from CC to the Katana's native sysex. There are documents describing the Katana's native sysex implementation for talking to the amp if you don't have the MIDX-20.

CAUTION:THESE MIDI CC# CONTROLS ONLY WORK WHEN MIDX-20 IS EMPLOYED with KATANA

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22630.0

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25735576/

grinder

Thanks for the quick response guys. I did some more research here in the vguitar forum and I believe I got the idea. So basically either the MIDX-20 is required or the MIDI Bridge for RPI / BeagleBone with a USB to MIDI cable (or maybe a MIDI HAT if it's the RaspberryPi) to connect to a MIDI foot controller.

It 'd be nice if all these MIDI capabilities were directly accessible using the native MIDI port of the head, but I guess that would kill the multi-effects units that Roland/Boss does (eg, GT-100). Who know maybe with the Mkii version.

keithwm

Hi folks, I have just purchased a midx-20. It works fine with my Katana 100 head (but that has midi anyway), it works via the USB.

But: I can't get my Katana 50 combo to respond at all.

Both amps are Mark 1 and I have ensured they are both using firmware v4 from Boss.

I can't get any channel change (I haven't tried CCs yet as that is a different midi board).

I have checked settings and the combo and the head are both a midi channel one and are set for the same patch number to choose amp channels.

Any ideas?

admin

Quote from: keithwm on September 17, 2020, 09:21:59 AM
Hi folks, I have just purchased a midx-20. It works fine with my Katana 100 head (but that has midi anyway), it works via the USB.

But: I can't get my Katana 50 combo to respond at all.

Both amps are Mark 1 and I have ensured they are both using firmware v4 from Boss.

I can't get any channel change (I haven't tried CCs yet as that is a different midi board).

I have checked settings and the combo and the head are both a midi channel one and are set for the same patch number to choose amp channels.

Any ideas?

PM Codesmart
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.0

CodeSmart

Actually I don't have a clue right now. I only own a head with V4. Can anyone else with this configuration try it?
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumtown

The 50 should work the same as the 100, does your 50 work with Tone Studio OK? (test if the 50 USB port working)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric