13-PIN PLUG & SOCKET DUST COVERS

Started by billbax, June 24, 2016, 11:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbax

Hi All,

I'm looking for three senior forum members to field test my 13-P plug and socket dust covers. I have three giveaway mixed bags of plug and socket covers (actually ten of each). If you're interested, feel free to drop me a pm with your address, and I will be happy to ship them to you free of charge. The only catch is, I would like you to review them here at the v-guitar forum.

Thanks,  Bill

20 Plug and Socket covers

Mr Dust and Mr Dirt

An unprotected 13-P Plug

Elantric

Bill,
These look excellent and should help all GK 13 pin users !

billbax

Thanks Elantric,

Your early Christmas present went off on Wednesday 8)

whippinpost91850

billbax

One top-brass senior member done!  Just need two more.

Bill

http://www.separate-strings.co.uk/13pinprotection.html

Elantric

I can confirm these Bill Bax  13-PIN PLUG & SOCKET DUST COVERS are very effective and help maintain your Gk 13 pin plugs and jacks dustfree and minimize oxidation and contamination during transport and storage between gigs
http://www.separate-strings.co.uk/
billbax@separate-strings.co.uk

whippinpost91850

I've been using the Bill Bax 13 pin covers for a couple of weeks and wanted to do a couple of rehearsals and gigs. I have to concur with Elantric these work excellent for keeping things clean and tidy.. Thanks Bil

Paul

billbax

Big thanks to Elantric and whippingpost for field-testing.

The idea with protecting and covering 13-Pin plugs and sockets is important. One length of 1.2M X 19.1mm heatshrink is enough to make 30+ covers, with a 'bill of materials' price of only £0.03 GBP each.

13-PIN SOCKET TEMPLATE PDF GUIDE
The protective covers are extremely easy to make, and only require a few simple tools. The PDF download template guide below should enable anyone to quickly fabricate enough covers to last a lifetime.

TOOLS
A paint stripper gun (low setting) is usually best with heatshrink, although a hair dryer is nearly as good. Saying that, using the girlfriends hair dryer might be the end of you...burnt-out hair dryer = dog-house or codesmart's 'war council' etc.

TWEEZERS
A hot air gun or hair dryer can make holding a wobbling piece of heatshrink uncomfortable on your fingers , so using a long-reach pair of tweezers is a good idea.

ONE MORE... 1/4" / 6.35MM JACK COVER.  19.1mm Heatshrink.

See you,

Bill

mooncaine

Still need a 3rd senior?

I'm taking a VG-99 out on weekends to tiny bar stages these days. I have a a few other GR and VG stuff that's literally gathering dust in the garage right now, like my reviled GR-55. Hmm, not counting the switcher box, I've got 5 things that take 13-pin inputs. Dang, I'm a very fortunate dude.

whippinpost91850

billbax

Thanks Paul and mooncaine for your thoughts etc. 

Mooncain send me a pm with your address, and I'll post on Monday 1st.  I've got a stock of 13-pin plug & socket covers, and if you want 1/4" covers that's ok?  The supply is 20 - you choose.

See you,

Bill

gumbo

Practise safe 13-Pinning...    ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

whippinpost91850

billbax

Thanks guys,

My latest fantasy is for some future archaeologist (4016AD) to find a 13-pin plug and socket in full working order.

From the 13-pin vault of horrors...

The pin insert should be self-cleaning, as the mating pinch is good. In practice, it's usually a different story.

Clean pin contact and looking a bit sc-fi.

Very poor ground pressure contact

Unprotected Crimp Pin. 8 years old.

mooncaine

Got my pack of dust covers, and just fitted some on a GK-3 wart and the cable that just came from it. Fit seems perfect.

I'll be taking my VG out next weekend; we'll see how it goes and whether I lose 'em.

Now that my 13-pin socket's so well-dressed, I feel like giving it a bath, but I'm afraid to break or mess with anything that's working just fine. It'll be 10 years old soon.

billbax

Hi mooncaine,

Good to hear they arrived safely.  Looking forward to hearing about your road test.

QuoteI'll be taking my VG out next weekend; we'll see how it goes and whether I lose 'em.

That's given me an idea for 'glow in the dark' covers  ::)

Thanks,

Bill

mooncaine

Nice idea!

I'm thinking a hole through the flat end might be nice, to maybe attach it to the cable so it'll always be ready to hand.

CodeSmart

Bill, can you please quote me.
This is a splendid idea :D
Cheers
Robert
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

mooncaine

Early review: they got through gig #1 just fine. I used these to cap the input socket on my VG-99 and a GK-3 wart attached to a Squier Strat, and the cable ends of the cable I was using (though, now that I think about it, I should go cap my spare cable, too).

I used 'em all week, pulled 'em off at least 6 times, back on 7, then at the gig, I didn't know where to put 'em, so I stuffed 'em in my front pocket. They still seemed to work at evening's end, when I was packing up and put 'em back on.

So far, so good!

billbax

Hi Mooncaine,

Thanks for the detailed field-test. 

QuoteI'm thinking a hole through the flat end might be nice, to maybe attach it to the cable so it'll always be ready to hand.

After some thoughts and a detail chat with another senior forum member, I (we) think it's a bad idea keeping these covers outside of their resealable plastic bag.  Something to do with cross-contamination, by allowing dust and dirt to gather on the cover, and then fitting them to the plug/socket. IMHO this defeats the idea of a protective cover.

Bill

CodeSmart

Yeah!! I got mine today. Immediately ran down to my basement and captured both the 13-pins and the 5-pins MIDI (yes they fit there to) on my too seldom used VG-99 and GR-33. Perfect fit!!!
Even though I haven't used rubber protection for years 8), I managed to fit these guys just perfect.

I took a photo but I'm too tired after driving four hours from kids and then rehearsing tonight with the band but I'll hope to post it soon.
Anyhow friends, this hi tech/low tech things (and clevere idea) is really great!

Thank you Sir Bill!!!

Cheers
Robert
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

billbax

Hi Robert,

Thanks for reviewing the 13-pin covers. Your senior forum member opinion is very important and it's appreciated. If you can post the photos whenever, that would be great.

Thanks again,

Sir Bill 8)

gumbo

Mine arrived yesterday and they have changed my life !!!   :o

Thank you Bill for a great product  ...which incidentally ALSO fits Synth-Linx Jacks  ;)

Kind regards,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

whippinpost91850

Yep I use them everyday and they are an awesome product

mooncaine

I have an update after using them a few weeks:

I thought I'd lose them when I took them off, so I put them in my pocket till after the show. They survived a few hours in my pocket with my big clunky keychain, and still have the proper shape. Still worked fine. Cool!