GR-30 - tracking built-in sounds is great, but MIDI out has issues

Started by VGasheville, February 18, 2016, 07:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VGasheville

I picked up a GR-30 a while back and have just recently started to dig in and explore it. So far I have found that the tracking for its internal sounds is very good, and far better than I ever got with a GR-20. But, MIDI out to control soft synths is not working very well. I am getting what sound like double triggers, and more latency than I would expect.

I want to be able to use the GR-30 to play VST pianos and organs, and also to play single note instruments like those found Garritan Instant Orchestra.

After reading through several discussions, I reduced the pickup sensitivity and that helped a bit. But, I could use some guidance on tweaking the settings. Should I turn "local control" off? And what does that do? I am using a Roland Multiac Jazz, with the GR-30 connected to an old Midiman Midisport 2x2.

Another thing I noticed is that the input light on the Midisport flashes constantly, even with no signal from the guitar. Is this normal? Thank you!

Elantric

This is typical for alll Roland Guitar Synth units

They all trigger their internal sounds faster / lower latency compared to Triggering external synths via MIDI.
This is because the architecture allows a separate faster DSP path for Guitar to internal PCM Synth.

Not targeting you, but among the general populace of guitarists There exists huge incorrect assumptions regarding how these 13 pin  system work
More here :
How a "13pin MIDI Cable" destroyed the Roland V-Guitar DSP Modeling brand
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

VGasheville

Thank you for the reply.

What I did not mention is that I at one time had a GI-20 too, and found that the GI-20's latency and tracking was pretty good, and certainly usable for triggering soft synths. From what I read, I thought the GR-30 would at least be as good if not better than the GI-20, but it is much worse. So I was thinking I must need to tweak some settings on my GR-30.

Elantric

If you are interested in Guitar to MIDI, consider the Fishman Tripleplay

FWIW- The new Bosx GP-10 triggers MIDI over USB on a Mac with Logic-x adequately faster than a GR-55

But the older Roland Gi units when  set correctly work well, it's what Jenifer Batten used when she played MIDI Guitar with Jeff Beck for several years

QuoteI am using a Roland Multiac Jazz, with the GR-30 connected to an old Midiman Midisport 2x2.

IMHO you are battling the typical Windows PC latency you must consider the latency of your GR-30 + latency of MIDISPORT MIDI USB Driver + latency  of your PC when triggering VST Synth + latency of playback audio of your Windows sound card

On Windows PC's , RME Audio interfaces have lowest latency

I bet if you feed GR-30 MIDI Output direct to a Hardware Synth you will experience much lower latency

szilard

Quote from: VGasheville on February 18, 2016, 07:14:09 AM
Another thing I noticed is that the input light on the Midisport flashes constantly, even with no signal from the guitar. Is this normal? Thank you!

A lot of Roland products implement Active Sense, this message is sent out multiple times a second. It's nothing to worry about.

germanicus

For soft synths grab a Fishman Triple Play or better yet a 2nd generation You Rock Guitar (guitar shaped keyboard).

The midi guitar software is also pretty decent:
http://www.jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

VGasheville

I turned the unit on while holding down the (-) button which I guess turns off "local control." This made a huge difference. Now, the tracking is easily the equal of the GI-20. Very usable!

Edit: My mistake. Powering the GR-30 while holding down the (-) button puts it in "Bend Data Thin" mode which filters out smaller pitch bend messages and reduces the amount of MIDI data sent.