Attack Transients and Guitar Synths

Started by Rhcole, January 27, 2016, 01:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now_And_Then

Quote from: Elantric on June 02, 2016, 10:13:06 PM
...or perhaps its a text box forced word wrap issue with his browser.

... which would, in the spirit of "ready-mades" and "found objects",  make it "found free-form poetry", right? Not quite on the order of the "poetry" found in William Whewell's Elementary Treatise on Mechanics, The Equilibrium of Forces on a Point (1819) where is was written as one ordinary sentence i.e. with no line breaks:

"And so no force however great
can stretch a cord however fine
into an horizontal line
which is accurately straight."

Here by the way is the full text of "The Metre Columbian*" which is not available anywhere on the internet (with, as further searching indicates, the exception of two other sites. *rolls eyes*). Why the blog published it while omitting two lines is beyond my imagining.

The version I have is printed like so:

This is the metre Columbian, the soft flowing trochees and dactyls
Blended with fragments spondaic and here and there an iambus
Syllables often sixteen, or more or less, as it happens
Difficult always to scan and depending greatly on accent
Being a close imitation, in English, of Latin hexameters -
Fluent in sound and avoiding the stiffness of blank verse,
Having the grandeur and flow of America's mountains and rivers
Such as no bard could achieve in a mean little island like England
Oft, at the end of the line, the sentence dividing abruptly,
Breaks, and in accents mellifluous, follows the thought of the author.

I consider that to be a pretty good piece of writing. The flow and rhythm actually illustrate what they are intended to illustrate.

* Note that my original quote had "meter" for "metre". This was done to help any interested party find the poem on the net.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on June 02, 2016, 10:13:06 PM

that - or perhaps its a text box forced word wrap issue with his browser.

No

Text
Box

Issues

Only other

Problems      Of

The World
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

A link to my old ancestors poetry
As usual
Wrongly referred to
As Norse instead of the real name

Viking

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse_poetry
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

news reports state that pictures are replacing words as subjects of interest in the inter-web world. It was predicted that in the future, we will talk only to our computers and send video selfies of ourselves doing stuff, as our main form of  communication (i paraphase). The facebook coo stated that all this new technology is helping us to live longer and herolds in the new age of snapchat, twitter, facebook, etc. (I would contend that learning to wash our hands has had a greater impact on longevity). ''and the people bowed and prayed, to the neon gods they made''. S
a G.

Elantric

Quotenews reports state that pictures are replacing words as subjects of interest in the inter-web world. It was predicted that in the future, we will talk only to our computers and send video selfies of ourselves doing stuff, as our main form of  communication (i paraphase). The facebook coo stated that all this new technology is helping us to live longer and herolds in the new age of snapchat, twitter, facebook, etc. (I would contend that learning to wash our hands has had a greater impact on longevity). ''and the people bowed and prayed, to the neon gods they made''. S
a G.

I predict a big scramble for hardcopy books after the next major EMP event "Attack Transient" kills all nearby electronic devices
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/emp-electro-magnetic-pulse/will-emp-pulse-fry-anything-electronic-not-plugged-into-the-grid/

Luckily i'm prepared, as ive already made an archive hardcopy printout of the internet ;) 

Sadly, in todays world there is higher risk of being of victim of a different kind of "Attack Transient"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/world/europe/germany-knife-attack.html?_r=0