SY-300 and MIDI clock

Started by Frankster, October 28, 2015, 01:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankster

Well, I'm looking at demos again and developing an itch in my wallet for an SY-300 but I'd be grateful for a few answers from anyone who has used the unit. The manual is kind of clear, kind of vague, I suspect it'll do what I want but I want to be sure before buying. So here's the question(s) ...

MIDI clock synchronised effects are very much my thing. If I can't sync the delays, LFO's and the sequencer to MIDI clock properly then I ain't buying. The manual makes it clear that the SY receives clock and can sync the FX but I'm not quite clear on how the sequencing reacts to clock. How does the sequencer handle MIDI start, stop and continue? Does it require a start message to sync or will it sync to the first clock message and "freewheel" in the absence of a clock? I assume it'll work in a similar way to the SL-20 slicer that works with my setup i.e. internal tempo until a clock message arrives.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this, clock handling was sadly omitted from the GP-10 and I made many angry posts about this. Hoping the SY-300 does a little better.

Kevin M

Look at sync clock section on page 14 of the parameters guide. Looks like it will at least sync the tempo/timing of these, although I'm not sure about start/stop.

Elantric

Frankster

I do remember posting those PDF's here but they don't really go into much detail about the sync capabilities. For example, if I'm sending clock to the SY-300 and I hit a note, does the sequence start playing from the time I play or is it in sync with the MIDI clock? In other words, is it truly synced up or does the unit just calculate the bpm from the clock messages and start the sequence whenever you hit a note?

I think I need to sit down in front of the unit in a store and give this a test.