FTP - Godin Montreal Premiere TriplePlay

Started by Elantric, January 15, 2015, 10:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

The Godin Montreal TriplePlay has been around since spring 2014
Yes it uses Piezos!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MontrealPTPSB

The Godin Montreal Premiere TriplePlay semi-hollowbody electric guitar gives you the versatility you need for serious genre hopping. It sports an innovative "breathe-through" carved-spruce core nestled inside its Canadian wild cherry body, giving it a distinctively resonant, organic tone that gets pumped out to your amp by two custom Godin humbuckers. But the major news here is that this axe is packing integrated Fishman Custom TriplePlay technology with a wireless USB receiver and a hexaphonic pickup, which turns your guitar into a wireless MIDI controller. Just think about what the Godin Montreal Premiere Triple Play can do for your music!

Montreal Premiere TriplePlay at a Glance:
Integrated Fishman Custom TriplePlay technology: imagine the possibilities
Canadian wild cherry delivers a sweet sound like no other
Montreal Premiere archtops combine vintage class with modern precision
Integrated Fishman Custom TriplePlay technology: imagine the possibilities
The Godin Session Custom Triple Play is an incredible guitar without the Fishman Custom TriplePlay system, but when you factor in this state-of-the-art technology and consider what it can do for your music, you've got a paradigm shift of major proportions. Wildly popular at Sweetwater since its introduction, the TriplePlay system consists of an onboard wireless transmitter and a USB receiver you plug into your computer, giving you six separate signals from the guitar's onboard hexaphonic pickup that are routed wirelessly into your DAW. Imagine instantiating six soft synths with complimentary patches. Now you've got, say, 18 oscillators cranking, complete with filtration and boatloads of modulation. Now imagine combining that with the output from the Session Custom's magnetic pickups. Finally, imagine you're doing all this live onstage. Now you're thinking along the same lines we are.

Canadian wild cherry delivers a sweet sound like no other
When people see you holding your Godin Montreal Premiere semi-hollowbody electric guitar, chances are, they're going to assume it cost a fortune. That's because the unique grain and wildly varied figuring of its Canadian wild cherry top, back, and sides look like some exotic wood you only see in guitar collectors magazines (or on the pricier guitars here in Sweetwater's Guitar Gallery). And once you play it, it's hard to convince anyone how little you spent on this magnificent instrument. The fact is, the choice of this abundant, rapidly renewable, and gorgeous tonewood comes at absolutely no expense to the sound of the Godin Montreal Premiere; in fact, its one of the things that makes it so special.

Montreal Premiere archtops combine vintage class with modern precision
Godin's entire archtop lineup has been popular from the first and steadily catching fire ever since. That's because Godin is doing what few other guitar makers can claim - making quality guitars, such as the Godin Montreal Premiere, from solid materials and sound construction techniques, and offering them at a more than reasonable price. This goes doubly for guitars such as the Godin Montreal Premiere, whose archtop nature relies on an impressive balance of tension and tonewood characteristics. The result is a guitar that looks like it wandered straight out of the mid twentieth century, but with the optimized sonics and playability of a state-of-the-art 21st century instrument.

Montreal Premiere TriplePlay Features:
Integrated Fishman Custom TriplePlay technology
Canadian wild cherry top, back, and sides
"Breathe-through" carved spruce core
Mahogany set-neck; rosewood fingerboard
Contoured high-gloss black headstock
Custom polished high-gloss finish; classy double binding
Two custom Godin humbucking pickups
Gig bag included
Revolutionize your music with the Montreal Premiere TriplePlay!

Tech Specs
Body Type   Montreal Premiere Tripleplay
Left-/Right-handed   Right-handed
Number of Strings   6
Body Material   Canadian Wild Cherry
Top Material   Canadian Wild Cherry
Body Finish   Custom Polish High Gloss
Color   Sunburst
Neck Material   Mahogany
Scale Length   24.75"
Fingerboard Material   Rosewood, 12" Radius
Fingerboard Inlay   Dots
Number of Frets   22
Nut Width   1.6875"
Bridge/Tailpiece   Graphtech ResoMax Bridge System
Number of Pickups   2
Neck Pickup   Custom Godin Humbucker
Middle Pickup   No Middle Pickup
Bridge Pickup   Custom Godin Humbucker
Controls   3 x Volume, 1 x Tone, 3-Way Toggle Switch
Strings   Nickel Regular Light, (.010-.046)
Case Included   Gig Bag

http://www.godinguitars.com/Godin%20Mtl%20Premiere_TriplePlay%20Diagram.pdf

looks like there is only a volume knob for the synth , no switch :(

atomheart411

I have been saving up for one but I still am wondering about this set up as it clearly does not use the Fishman pick up but seems rather like their regular 'synth access' guitars of which I already own a Freeway.  I would consider this an upgrade but if they can hook up the transmitter/control unit to another makers (RMC, etc) peizos wouldn't it be theoretically possible to do the same with my existing Freeway? Or is that just a world of trials and tribulation waiting to happen?

scratch17

Atomheart, this does use the same triple play electronics as is in the standalone unit. It gets hex input from a Graphtech piezo pickup, but it has been optimized for FTP.

If you search the forum you will see that splitting the hex output so you could get 13 pin and FTP simultaneously has been discussed.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8413.0
Scratch17
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

bloodbrother

This is really interesting! I totally missed this instrument when it came out. Does anyone happen to know...
1. Is the tracking and responsiveness of the FTP in this guitar inferior, superior, or pretty much the same as the magnetic version?
2. How did Fishman and/or Godin go about addressing the difference in output of the magnetic and piezo pickups that has been discussed in other threads here?

In case anyone is thinking about getting one, there is a display model on eBay right now for $1599! I almost want to do it, but it's such a nice instrument and I know It would just end up being an "organ donor" if you know what I mean.

BobbyD

Hello Friends

Can someone please  explain how the built in internal FTP pickup  on Godin  Montreal model which is hollow body compare to Godin Session Model which is solid body and comes with external  pickup found on every guitar using a FTP including FTP ready Strat.   

It seems there has to be some type of tradeoff between having the pickup mounted externally versus internally.  Are there  any small nuances using an internal pickup like additional latenecy, less precise tracking, etc?    It seems illogical that both pickups react exactly the same way. 

I am a true newbie to MIDI and need to purchase an electric guitar as I do not own one at the moment, and thought it would be more aesthetically nicer to have a guitar with built in FTP.  I don't care about aesthetics if I was going to increase latency or lose the precise tracking  FTP is known for.

Thanks to anyone who takes time to explain this to me.

BobbyD

Quote from: bloodbrother on March 20, 2015, 12:16:01 PM
This is really interesting! I totally missed this instrument when it came out. Does anyone happen to know...
1. Is the tracking and responsiveness of the FTP in this guitar inferior, superior, or pretty much the same as the magnetic version?
2. How did Fishman and/or Godin go about addressing the difference in output of the magnetic and piezo pickups that has been discussed in other threads here?

In case anyone is thinking about getting one, there is a display model on eBay right now for $1599! I almost want to do it, but it's such a nice instrument and I know It would just end up being an "organ donor" if you know what I mean.

I picked up the Montreal you listed from  Ebay today.  Funny thing is I was emailing the seller back and fourth about 3 days ago before I even read this post.  I listened to Elantric and the other moderators and folks on forum and returned an expensive high end PRS that I never should have purchased from ebay and picked this guitar up. I wanted a hollow body and the PRS was a semi hollow.  So it all worked out great. . I  put an extra $1,500 back in my pocket because I still would have had to purchase a FTP pickup on top of the $2,600 spent on the PRS.  That was in impulse buy and luckily the seller offered 14 day return policy  and was super cool when I emailed her to tell her I had to send guitar back.  Now I have to do one more thing as Elantric suggested and return the focusrite 212 I got from Sweetwater and pickup the 214. I want to be able to use a MIDI pedal plus the Montreal uses two separate outputs which will use the two inputs on the 212 so I can't even have a vocalist or bass player record with me. I am total newbie with MIDI and will send a followup up post with a link to soundcloud once I figure out how to get Ableton and FTP speaking to each other.  I spoke to a very cool cat at Fishman last week who said we would do me a favor and have a  screen share session with me and help me get up to get everything and running.  I shared with him  I am recovering from a traumatic brain injury and music was key to getting my brain working again.   Everyone I have met  as I try to get my life back together who are involved in music,  have been the nicest, coolest, caring,  down-to-earth people I have ever met in my life.  That goes for the folks on this forum which is hands down in my opinion, the best music forum on the internet.  Thanks for the post about the Montreal on ebay because it pushed me to get the guitar because I was on the fence. Reason being was the pickup on guitar was not the same as I have seen on all the other FTP guitars and was worried  latency or tracking problems.  I took a leap of faith and went with my guy that this guitar tracks the same and has same latency as all the other guitars I have seen with the FTP.  Feel free to confirm my hunch because I am a tad nervous as I couldn't find any info on internet comparing the two pickup configurations. I have to believe  that Fishman & Godin would not damage their reputation and put out a product that was not functioning 100% as other models.

Cheers
BobbyD

Elantric

When using any large box hollowbody guitar (like the Montreal) know that the non amplified sound of the strings will always be apparent, and if you use patches in Alt Tunings , you must either:

Wear headphones ,to hear the Alt tuned patch clearly, without hearing the clashing natural pitch of the Acoustic strings.

Or

Play through a loud amplification system, to hear the Alt tuned patch clearly, without hearing the clashing natural pitch of the Acoustic strings.

BobbyD

Quote from: Elantric on March 22, 2015, 08:54:34 AM
When using any large box hollowbody guitar (like the Montreal) know that the non amplified sound of the strings will always be apparent, and if you use patches in Alt Tunings , you must either:

Wear headphones ,to hear the Alt tuned patch clearly, without hearing the clashing natural pitch of the Acoustic strings.

Or

Play through a loud amplification system, to hear the Alt tuned patch clearly, without hearing the clashing natural pitch of the Acoustic strings.

I actually do like experimenting with alternative tunings but I have headphones so hopefully will not be a problem.  I never even gave it much thought.  My only concern was the tracking on the Montreal due to the different pickup on the guitar and I sent an email to Godin & Fishman and they both responded, saying if anything, it may track slightly better due to the technical answer they gave me about pickup picking up sounds better. .  But it will be a long time before I get into alternative tunings as I am trying to learn Ableton and have 8 courses I purchased from Warp Academy and haven't finished the first course yet.  The extra $1,500 I put in my pocket is going towards a 15 inch MBP so I can sit outside in the spring/summer/fall and bring laptop, USB powered Scarlett 214 ( thanks again for that recommendation) Godin Montreal and the Yamaha THR10 that I am going to pickup which is battery powered.  I think you may even own one of those badboys.  Even if batteries only last 2 hours as in your case, I will be using internal plugins and Montreal to play around with MIDI and will bring an extra setup of batteries with me.  Can't think of a better way to spend 6 hours in the park.

Elantric

I no longer recommend the Yamaha THR amps

After last two years of Apple  OSX updates, Yamaha has not updated the USB Drivers for THR amps, rendering them useless for USB recording (nothing but pops and clicks today)

Suggest use an IK iLoud and an amp sim running on Mac or ipad

BobbyD

Quote from: Elantric on March 25, 2015, 01:33:35 PM
I no longer recommend the Yamaha THR amps

After last two years of Apple  OSX updates, Yamaha has not updated the USB Drivers for THR amps, rendering them useless for USB recording (nothing but pops and clicks today)

Suggest use an IK iLoud and an amp sim running on Mac or ipad

Hey Elantric.....I kid you not I was just going to call my Sweetwater rep to order the Scarlet 2i4, find out how to ship Scarlet 2i2 back, and was going to do a quick post online if I should order the THR5 or 10.  The reason I was going to bring the THR outside along with my laptop, scarlett 214, and Montreal was just so I could also practice guitar in the fresh air as it was battery powered, plus it would have been a bonus if I could have used USB port for recording but not a big deal breaker. So my question to you is if I just want to use guitar amp for playing outside, would you recommend the THR5 or THR10.  I did the smaller footprint of the THR5, but like the option of jamming along with tracks from MP3s on my laptop and I thought I read that there was a volume control for the MP3 input to get a good balance between guitar and MP3s.  I have not read about any other battery power amps that sound as good as the THR5 or 10.   I do not care about the $100 difference in the price or slightly larger size of THR10.  I just want the best sound for outdoors and will be using amp to play without headphone to just jam outside, and will only use headphones when jamming with MP3s.   Really appreciate your feedback.  thanks bro

Elantric

The Yamaha THR-10  works ok with just guitar , but it will distort any synth tones fed into its AUx input

And it shuts down too early when running  on batteries and cranked up to 10

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11162.0

I'd look at a Roland Cube Street EX

Tonato

I missed that guitar, it looks really cool!  :)

I wish that in the future Godin would produce a guitar that incorporates the internal/FTP and an a 13 pin connector/hex piezo for a roland VG. Then that would be great!

However, I spoke with one Godin dealer around 5 months ago and he said that Godin was moving into the FTP instead of the 13 pin, so I doubt that will be the case!

jassy

Im a big Godin fan and even more of the jazz guitars in general, so this guitar is in my radar, but Im surprised about the tripleplay edition, it adds the FTP and the price increase is $700, is not that too much, taking into account the price of FTP alone (around $400 street)?

Elantric

QuoteHowever, I spoke with one Godin dealer around 5 months ago and he said that Godin was moving into the FTP instead of the 13 pin, so I doubt that will be the case!

FWIW - at 2016 Winter NAMM, Godin was not showing any guitars with Fishman Tripleplay  - it would appear that once the existing dealer inventory of Godin Session Tripleplay , and Godin Montreal Premiere TriplePlay are gone - these will be gone.