How many here use IEMs' for live gigging?

Started by Toby Krebs, December 22, 2013, 01:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Krebs

I recently dug out my old Shure E2 in ear monitors that I used for a while at a big church I worked at and was surprised at how good they sounded.I ordered one of those little Rolls personal monitor units that can handle 3 inputs(PM351) from Amazon  and am considering trying this monitoring method for live work. I would also be leaving the FRFR  powered speakers/keyboard amp/ FRFR 15 in EV passive monitor etc... at home and monitor 3  sources exclusively with in ear monitors.Mobility is not a problem for me as I often sit while performing these days. So please those of you who monitor this way even occasionally please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

Toby Krebs

Excellent reading. Thanks Elantric. My ears are getting killed and carrying a ton of gear to these one nighters(they suck) is wearing me out. I am going to give a low cost solution a try and if it works spend some money I don't have on thi IEM thing!

Elantric

my 2 cents - Either the whole band agrees to use IEM's or you will have many problems trying be the lone wolf on a stage full of noise.

JolietJake

Hello Tony

My personal opinion after years of feedback and not hearing yourself is that I would never use anything other than IEM's.

We must be the ultimate travel light band. 3 Piece with bass and drums on mp3. We have one PA that everything goes through and everyone has an IEM to hear the music and vocals. Thanks to the GR-55 I don't even carry a guitar amp anymore.
We can even have a soundcheck while the audience is unaware its happening.

For several years we simply ran the PA main headphone output to a headphone splitter/amplifier and everyone had a cable going to headphones.
Luckily in the UK there is an inexpensive option from gear4music who have a wireless IEM system for £55 and we will likely move to the wireless option soon.

Only tip I would give is always have a stereo mix in your IEM's it makes it much easier to pick out instrument and vocals in the mix.

Brian Bowman

I've given up on loud bands but did wear custom-ear molds with 15db attenuators when playing with loud drummers years ago (now they come in handy at NHL games).

I am in a jazz "workshop" sextet with a couple of saxes + piano, upright bass, drums, guitar.  I mostly play an acoustic 7-String archtop that has a nice floating KA pickup on it for that situation.   Everyone respects dynamics and the drummer plays on a small jazz kit with a deep resonate snare.

Other than than that it's most solo/duo cafe' work.  I miss some of the energy of full band situations but not the amplitude. :)

Toby Krebs

Quote from: Elantric on December 22, 2013, 02:41:08 PM
my 2 cents - Either the whole band agrees to use IEM's or you will have many problems trying be the lone wolf on a stage full of noise.

The drummer uses them for most of the show right now and I think the new bass player has them and would use them too.

Thanks!

rolandvg99

The PM351 is a great unit and offers DI as well. I own one myself and it's great when used together with my Zoom H6.

I use the omni module to grab the stage ambient sound adding some onboard compression and mix my vocals and my VG-99 through the PM to channel 1&2 on the Zoom H6. If it's an option I run either a mono or stereo FOH mix back to inputs 3&4 on my Zoom H6. I can hear the audience, the onstage banter and my performance great.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Toby Krebs

Nice! I think for me onstage banter and audience noises are what I want to lessen along with that damn ride cymbal and the loud sequences and a bunch of other stuff. Thanks!

rolandvg99

Quote from: Toby Krebs on December 23, 2013, 02:22:22 PM
Nice! I think for me onstage banter and audience noises are what I want to lessen along with that damn ride cymbal and the loud sequences and a bunch of other stuff. Thanks!

That's why I compress those ambient mics hard.  :)
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

MarkFromHawaii

I got on board the IEM train awhile back. Bought a Shure PSM300 twin pack system with the P3RA G20 receivers for my church worship team. Great piece of kit except for the ear buds. There are cheaper and better ones like the MEE M6 Pro. I've been waiting for 4 more P3RAs since January. Apparently no one has them in stock due to chip shortages.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.