Harley Benton bass and guitars?

Started by Bill Ruppert, November 28, 2022, 02:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

Is the Harley Benton line of guitar and bass guitars of good quality?
Here in the States we don't see them.

The new short scale bass looks nice..

https://www.gearnews.com/harley-benton-mv-4msb-gotoh-short-scale-bass/

admin

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on November 28, 2022, 02:56:03 PMIs the Harley Benton line of guitar and bass guitars of good quality?

They are sold to USA customers via Thomann.DE USA sales -

review the shipping fees and the return policy  -
https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_mv_4msb_gotoh_sfg.htm

Bill Ruppert

Thanks
Well, that puts a damper on it.
But that is shipping a guitar across the sea.
It cost a fortune to send a package from Chicago to Pasadena.

Thomann DE must know the USA would be interested in their line, if its quality is good.

JeffTronics

There are plenty of youtube reviewer that give these instruments a thumbs up on quality and affordability. The rule applies, you get what you pay for. However this is relative to the times (I think) and you get more then what you paid for compared to years earlier. I was persuaded by several reviews to buy the HB-35 (semi hollow 335 clone). Happy I did because my mind was set on buying a Gibson (I felt I just had to have one). Getting the HB for 283 dollars (includes the shipping) eased my impulsiveness and was a safer purchase for me to see how I really feel about needing Gibson. I'm glad I made this purchase. It's given me a close enough sense that I don't need the Gibson. I now have hands on experience with the semi hollow body. I purchased it from Thomann during Covid and it arrived in 1 month! Not bad, considering. 

Based on all the reviews, the finish and setup are nice right out of the box. The competition, Firefly guitars also offers eye candy instruments for affordable prices. One thing I noticed on my HB is, the frets were not finished. I had to take some steel wool and polish them up. As a personal preference I decided to fiddle with the action and truss rod for custom action. The binding on the F-holes are very good. Not perfect, but good enough.

What's unique that I like about this guitar is, the input jack is not on the face of the guitar and, you can split the coils. The pickups have a great tone and one youtuber did a blind back to back sound test with a Gibson and the difference was unnoticeable to me, and without knowing which was which, I ended up going for the HB because of the affordability. 

I keep it hanging on the wall and it's been through extreme temperate changes and holding up nicely.  I have to assume at some point it's just going to fall apart, or something will fail. I don't even think I would invest on getting it refretted when it's time. It is helping decide my next semi hollow body. Maybe an Epiphone

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: JeffTronics on November 28, 2022, 07:06:29 PMThere are plenty of youtube reviewer that give these instruments a thumbs up on quality and affordability. The rule applies, you get what you pay for. However this is relative to the times (I think) and you get more then what you paid for compared to years earlier. I was persuaded by several reviews to buy the HB-35 (semi hollow 335 clone). Happy I did because my mind was set on buying a Gibson (I felt I just had to have one). Getting the HB for 283 dollars (includes the shipping) eased my impulsiveness and was a safer purchase for me to see how I really feel about needing Gibson. I'm glad I made this purchase. It's given me a close enough sense that I don't need the Gibson. I now have hands on experience with the semi hollow body. I purchased it from Thomann during Covid and it arrived in 1 month! Not bad, considering. 

Based on all the reviews, the finish and setup are nice right out of the box. The competition, Firefly guitars also offers eye candy instruments for affordable prices. One thing I noticed on my HB is, the frets were not finished. I had to take some steel wool and polish them up. As a personal preference I decided to fiddle with the action and truss rod for custom action. The binding on the F-holes are very good. Not perfect, but good enough.

What's unique that I like about this guitar is, the input jack is not on the face of the guitar and, you can split the coils. The pickups have a great tone and one youtuber did a blind back to back sound test with a Gibson and the difference was unnoticeable to me, and without knowing which was which, I ended up going for the HB because of the affordability. 

I keep it hanging on the wall and it's been through extreme temperate changes and holding up nicely.  I have to assume at some point it's just going to fall apart, or something will fail. I don't even think I would invest on getting it refretted when it's time. It is helping decide my next semi hollow body. Maybe an Epiphone

Jeff, Thank you for the review.
It sounds like they have a great buyer.
At a price point like that, a little set-up work is fine with me.
The short scale bass looked fun for a weak handed guy like me.

SY.Borg.300

Shipping from Andertons in the UK who also carry Harley Benton, to the USA is usually very affordable as long as the totall is under $800. Over that and customs gets involved.

Harley Benton I think is better than GCs Rouge line but the name is a little shameful. It's more than good enough for a kids Christmas present. Or maybe as a beater for blues jams. But I would be embarrassed to go to a serious audition or do a high profile gig with an HB. At least until I already impressed them with some awesome chops.

Brak(E)man

I have 8 or 9 different HB , they're all good quality.
The only thing needed , as said, is a setup sometimes but I do that with all new instruments.
And they tend to dry out where I'm at so the fret ends needs filing down.
But I've had that issue with other high end guitars so it's not a exclusive HB problem , it's the climate difference between where they're made and where they ship to.
I have used the guitars etc for albums and gigs , they work fine in a
"high profile" setting.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

GraemeJ

Quote from: SY.Borg.300 on November 28, 2022, 09:00:24 PMI would be embarrassed to go to a serious audition or do a high profile gig with an HB.

To me, when someone rates a player on the instrument they are using, that says more about the people you work with than anything else.   

Antonuzzo

Quote from: GraemeJ on November 29, 2022, 01:34:10 AMTo me, when someone rates a player on the instrument they are using, that says more about the people you work with than anything else.   

Yeah, I agree. There's still too much of the if-it-aint-US-built-Gibson/Fender/PRS-then-it-ain't-sh** mentality still floating around. I mean, Jeff Healey and Mike Rutherford never got any flak for using Squiers, did they?

My own take: I picked up an HB bass a few years ago. I wanted a fretless but didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that might not have worked out. I found one in a music shop for £100, including a gig bag: a five-string, unlined HB Progressive bass. I was really surprised by the build quality, the playability and the sounds – all of these were far beyond the price point.

I put a GK-3B on it and it's been my main bass guitar since then, and it's up against my Steinberger and my Jackson.

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: SY.Borg.300 on November 28, 2022, 09:00:24 PMShipping from Andertons in the UK who also carry Harley Benton, to the USA is usually very affordable as long as the totall is under $800. Over that and customs gets involved.

Harley Benton I think is better than GCs Rouge line but the name is a little shameful. It's more than good enough for a kids Christmas present. Or maybe as a beater for blues jams. But I would be embarrassed to go to a serious audition or do a high profile gig with an HB. At least until I already impressed them with some awesome chops.
Thanks I didn't know Andertons carried them.They always seemed like a very cool store.

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: Antonuzzo on November 29, 2022, 02:28:20 AMYeah, I agree. There's still too much of the if-it-aint-US-built-Gibson/Fender/PRS-then-it-ain't-sh** mentality still floating around. I mean, Jeff Healey and Mike Rutherford never got any flak for using Squiers, did they?

My own take: I picked up an HB bass a few years ago. I wanted a fretless but didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that might not have worked out. I found one in a music shop for £100, including a gig bag: a five-string, unlined HB Progressive bass. I was really surprised by the build quality, the playability and the sounds – all of these were far beyond the price point.

I put a GK-3B on it and it's been my main bass guitar since then, and it's up against my Steinberger and my Jackson.
Heck yes!
One of the top session bass players here in Chicago played a Squire bass. It sounded AMAZING. He loved it.

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: Brak(E)man on November 29, 2022, 12:16:27 AMI have 8 or 9 different HB , they're all good quality.
The only thing needed , as said, is a setup sometimes but I do that with all new instruments.
And they tend to dry out where I'm at so the fret ends needs filing down.
But I've had that issue with other high end guitars so it's not a exclusive HB problem , it's the climate difference between where they're made and where they ship to.
I have used the guitars etc for albums and gigs , they work fine in a
"high profile" setting.
Brak you are right it happens a lot with guitars from the Indonesia. It is a climate thing.
The poor guitars travel from the humid hot Indo area to a sub-zero winter Chicago heated house and any piece of wood will move.
I am used to that now and learned how to do my own basic fret work.
It is actually fun to do.
About 10 years ago I decided I had to learn how to fret file, crown ect.
SO I bought about 20 dirt cheap Chinese guitars and some great files.
I now have a pile of really great playing cheap Chinese guitars, but I got pretty good at fret work.
I told my wife when I go just pass them out like party favors :-)

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on November 29, 2022, 06:19:47 AMBrak you are right it happens a lot with guitars from the Indonesia. It is a climate thing.
The poor guitars travel from the humid hot Indo area to a sub-zero winter Chicago heated house and any piece of wood will move.
I am used to that now and learned how to do my own basic fret work.
It is actually fun to do.
About 10 years ago I decided I had to learn how to fret file, crown ect.
SO I bought about 20 dirt cheap Chinese guitars and some great files.
I now have a pile of really great playing cheap Chinese guitars, but I got pretty good at fret work.
I told my wife when I go just pass them out like party favors :-)

Right you are and I do have a humidifier but the arctic where I currently reside is a harsh environment indoors in the winter.

I do most of my fret ending file work too ( on the cheap guitars ).
The more expensive ones I leave to my luthier.
The Harley Benton are cheap money wise but they keep a very high standard.
I have HBs 8 string fanned fret, eldobro , Elmando , jazzmaster , banjos and more  they all work and sound great imho.
Especially considering that a HB guitar cost less than one magnetic PU or a set of tuners.

- Lydia Lunch

SY.Borg.300

Quote from: GraemeJ on November 29, 2022, 01:34:10 AMTo me, when someone rates a player on the instrument they are using, that says more about the people you work with than anything else.   
I agree. But that doesn't mean I would show up at an audition to tour with Bob Seger with a budget instrument. It's like not wearing a suit to court.

Antonuzzo

Quote from: Brak(E)man on November 29, 2022, 06:37:46 AMI have HBs 8 string fanned fret, eldobro , Elmando , jazzmaster , banjos and more  they all work and sound great imho.
Especially considering that a HB guitar cost less than one magnetic PU or a set of tuners.

How are the fanfrets? I was looking at them and £169 for an 8-string is triggering my GAS (but not as much as the twin-neck... which I absolutely do not need. But do want).

lespauled

There are some Harley Bentons that are great guitars, and there are some that are horrible.  I've heard that you should stay away from the lower line (~200), but the mid and upper lines are great guitars.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Antonuzzo on November 29, 2022, 07:31:47 AMHow are the fanfrets? I was looking at them and £169 for an 8-string is triggering my GAS (but not as much as the twin-neck... which I absolutely do not need. But do want).

I don't really like fanfret in general.
I got mine because I wanted an extra B string in the bass and an a string 440hz on top,the 6 strings in the middle tuned like a normal guitar and fanfret is probably the only possible solution. There's some odd voicings and unusual melodic patterns to be found there.

I'd say that the guitar works really good and is definitely worth the money.
(I paid a lot less than £ 169 , b-stock , so absolutely worth it.)

- Lydia Lunch

Antonuzzo

Quote from: Brak(E)man on November 29, 2022, 11:17:34 AMI don't really like fanfret in general.
I got mine because I wanted an extra B string in the bass and an a string 440hz on top,the 6 strings in the middle tuned like a normal guitar and fanfret is probably the only possible solution. There's some odd voicings and unusual melodic patterns to be found there.

I'd say that the guitar works really good and is definitely worth the money.
(I paid a lot less than £ 169 , b-stock , so absolutely worth it.)

Oh, I like the idea of having a high A and a low B rather than the B/F# configuration. Maybe this will be my Christmas treat to myself :)

GraemeJ

Quote from: SY.Borg.300 on November 29, 2022, 07:20:04 AMI agree. But that doesn't mean I would show up at an audition to tour with Bob Seger with a budget instrument. It's like not wearing a suit to court.

I'd like to think Bob Seger was above that sort of thinking.  If you can play what is required, the instrument itself should never be an issue.  If it is an issue, then I would suggest you are auditioning for the wrong people. 

Frank

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on November 28, 2022, 02:56:03 PMIs the Harley Benton line of guitar and bass guitars of good quality?

I bought one of the Fusion T models, B-Stock for £180 including shipping!

The build quality was excellent and there were no discernible dings or defects (as it was B-Stock), so it may have just been a return.

It was an experiment to see what the quality was like and to see if the neck dimensions were to my liking.

In the end I didn't really like the neck profile (it was a medium C shape and I'm used to a Tom Anderson Even Taper or Warmoth standard thin profiles), but the guitar was excellent value for money.

My only criticism would be that the body was quite lightweight, which meant it didn't balance very well.
That said, I've known people buy them and say they had heavy bodies, so YMMV as they say.

Chumly

Talking about nicely made cheap guitars, there is also Firefly, see here
https://guitarsgarden.com/

and I have to admit that the Squier Contemporary Stratocaster Special Roasted Maple Fingerboard is a fine guitar, and I'm considering one as they are on sale locally (in Canada) and unlike the mail order guitars, try before you buy is very doable.  Not that I have great concerns about buying sight unseen for music tech hardware and software, but guitars can be a bit more challenging if purchased online.

The real problem (in an absurdist sense) is that I have no sensible reason to purchase another guitar, unless it truly performs differently than what I already have, and the Squier Contemporary Stratocaster sort of does, as it relates to the pickup configurations.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman