VC-touch

Started by sixeight, October 29, 2020, 02:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcknrllmn

Nice, I hope to get a VC-Touch when they are available again.

sixeight

I'll keep you posted.

2kat58

Hi sixeight- curious on if the ESP32 would be able to support Bluetooth midi for iOS apps like Quantiloop pro. Let me know your thoughts. Looking forward to building my VC-touch.

sixeight

Quote from: 2kat58 on July 25, 2022, 02:22:47 PMHi sixeight- curious on if the ESP32 would be able to support Bluetooth midi for iOS apps like Quantiloop pro. Let me know your thoughts. Looking forward to building my VC-touch.

The ESP module in the VC-touch adds Bluetooth and rtpmidi support. Bluetooth only works in client mode so far. I have tested it with a WIDI midi module and connected successfully to a MacBook. I was able to connect to VC-edit.

I have not been able to connect to an iPad yet. Probably Bluetooth server mode is needed for that. I will have to dig deeper into the Bluetooth midi protocol some day to see if I can get it to work.

Gandalf_Sr

I've ordered the VC-Touch PCB from you and a display from BuyLCD.com

I'm going over the BOM and am having problems finding some connectors in the US.  I saw somewhere that you'd posted links to Reichelt and Digikey BOMs but I can't find them; can you please point me to them again?

I plan to use this with my Katana 50 mk1, if I leave out the ESP32 module, will the Teensy detect that it's not there and just work?

Thanks in advance.

sixeight

I just sent you the board (before I read this post.) There are some digikey links (if they still work) in the VC-mini building guide here: https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/blob/master/VC-mini%20hardware/VC-mini%20MINI%20building%20guide%20-%20production%20model.pdf

The reichelt links are in the regular building guide: https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/blob/master/VC-touch%20hardware/VC-touch%20building%20guide.pdf

And it is no problem to run without the ESP module.

2kat58

I  ordered from reichelt in US and parts came in about 3 weeks. Now I just need to find the time to assemble :)

Make sure to also add in the 8 pin dip sockets for the chips

2kat58

Done with building the VC-touch! So far works great but barely scratched the surface. This interface is a game changer. Love it!

sixeight

Release of firmware 3.10.0 for the VC-touch. New features:
* Added menu item firmware/sync patches to pull all patches from another VC device that is connected bi-directionally
* Made new hardware file for the VC-mini based upon the Teensy 4.1
* KPA: fixed not connecting to firmware 3.9.0
* KPA: fixed tap tempo and allowed for larger rig names on VC-touch.
* VC-touch: fixed wireless module not connecting to WIDI-master. Also implemented slower connection to editor, so VC-edit can connect wirelessly.
* MIDI PC: Added PREV, NEXT and BANK select options for it.
* VC-touch: fixed expression pedal freezing the switches occasionally.
* MIDI PC/CC/NOTE ON/OFF: New port numbering system was not properly implemented, leading to errors. This has been fixed.
* VC-touch: centered text is now perfectly centered on display.
* VC-touch: added menu icon to touch screen
* KPA: slots are now controlled via snapscenes. Support for morphing through snapscenes. Also performance names are stored in EEPROM for easy browsing.
* Setlist/song: command structure built for both new commands
* Implemented SONG mode, PAGE mode and DEVICE mode to make it clearer that the VC can be used in three ways.
* Fixed bug in MENU - PROGRAM SWITCHES where PATCH SELECT was not showing the correct number of patches for certain devices (Katana) both on the unit and in VC-edit.
* Fixed incorrect cursor position in text entry on VC-mini
* VC-touch now uses both memory chips (24LC512) and can store 3225 commands, 300 patches and 64 sequences.
* Added MIDI more command with option to send MIDI start and stop or toggle them.
* Added option to Block device detect messages. Every second the VC device will send some messages to look for external devices. Enabling this option will block these messages. Some external devices that are not supported get confused when these messages appear. Be careful using this option, as automatic device detection no longer works on ports where this is enabled.
* SY-1000: Fixed the normal input not restoring properly from scenes when Quiet scene change was active. Thanks Brad for pointing it out.

The firmware can be found here:
https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/tree/master/Firmware/VController_v3%20compiled. Look for VC-touch_v3_10_0.hex

The updated versions of VC-edit can be found here: https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/tree/master/Firmware/VC-edit%20compiled
Mac: VC-edit 3_10.dmg
Windows: VC-edit 3_10.zip

To install follow the instructions in the manual for firmware updates. make sure you backup all data using your existing VC-edit version before doing the update. Also for VC-touch users on firmware 3.9 or lower it is advised to go to the menu - FIRMWARE MENU and init the settings, commands and all patches. This will initialize the EEPROM memory, which has been doubled as it is using both memory chips now. After that use the updated VC-edit to restore the data.

sixeight

Release of firmware 3.10.2 for the VC-touch and VC-edit:

New features:
* VC-mini: fixed menu operation through the switches (menu_prev and menu_next)
* Added type/mode setting for devices.
* Helix: type/mode can now be set for Helix, HX-stomp and HX-effects, also taking the two numbering schemes into account.
* Katana: the Katana 100 / Katana 50 setting has been moved to Device Settings.
* VC-edit: fixed multiple commands in "on page select" box not selecting properly, making editing hard.
* Fixed bug that under certain conditions hangs the VController, VC-mini or VC-touch.

You can download the new firmware here: https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/releases/tag/3.10.2

Check out the user manual for instructions on how to update the firmware.

Allomerus

Quote from: sixeight on July 26, 2022, 12:09:17 AMThe ESP module in the VC-touch adds Bluetooth and rtpmidi support. Bluetooth only works in client mode so far. I have tested it with a WIDI midi module and connected successfully to a MacBook. I was able to connect to VC-edit.

I have not been able to connect to an iPad yet. Probably Bluetooth server mode is needed for that. I will have to dig deeper into the Bluetooth midi protocol some day to see if I can get it to work.

I have been able to connect a microcontroller to an iPad using Bluetooth via an app called midimittr.

http://www.s-r-n.de/midile/

sixeight

Release of firmware 3.11.0 for the VC-touch.
New in this version:

• VC-touch: Added pong game - can be controlled by expression pedal or guitar-to-midi!
  • GR-55: added scene mode
  • GR-55: added ctl pedal assigns and removed the regular cc assigns. The CTL and EXP SW function now fully work and also execute associated assigns.
  • VC-touch: fixed an issue where the switches would "hang" occasionaly if many switches were pressed at the same time.
  • Added support for switch_holding for SONG, SETLIST, PAGE, ASSIGN, MIDI_PC for NEXT, PREV and bank up/down.
  • VC-edit: fixed crash when opening parameter command for current device. Fixed some other minor bugs.
  • VC-edit: fixed bug where user commands would be loaded double right after changing VC device in preferences.

Check the manual below for instructions on how to update the firmware.
Make sure you use the right version for your hardware!!!

You can download it here: https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/releases/tag/3.11.0

Pong:

sixeight

Currently I do have a VC-touch in stock.

You can get it here if you are interested:
https://sixeightsoundcontrol.onlineweb.shop/product/vc-touch

Novocaine

Hello, I need your help. I currently have a BOSS SY-1000 and a QUAD CORTEX. The SY-1000 is mainly used for guitar modelling and exotic tunings.

In the songs I play I need to change guitar models, pickup configurations but also and especially several alternative user tunings.

My question is, with a VC TOUCH would I be able to record a guitar/mic configuration but also and especially its user tuning?

Another question, would I be able to send a #CC from the QUAD CORTEX (only one can be sent in scene mode) to the VC TOUCH which will change the scene on the SY-1000 ?

EXAMPLE SETUP :
SONG 1
  Quad Cortex : Scene 1 - SY1000 : Telecaster / Neck / -4 +3 +1 +1 +1 +1 / string Level 6 80%
  Quad Cortex : Scene 2 - SY1000 : Acoustic / Gibson / -4 +3 +3 +3 +3 +3 / String Pan 6 -50 String Pan 5 +50
  Quad Cortex : Scene 3 - SY1000 : Les PAUL / Neck / -4 -2 -2 -2 -2 -2
  Quad Cortex : Scene 4 - SY1000 : Strat / Bridge / -4 +3 +1 +1

To sum up, I would love to have the same operation as the LINE6 HELIX which can change all the parameters of the VARIAX guitar by changing the SNAPSHOT. The goal is to have no more HELIX and VARIAX.

Thank you very much in advance and I hope I have been clear.

sixeight

Only specific parameters are changed through scenes by the VC-touch. Check out the user manual to find out which ones. https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/releases/tag/3.11.0

String pan and user tuning are not saved.

You can trigger assigns through scenes, but there are only 16 assigns on the SY1000.

You can trigger scenes through cc messages.

sixeight

New firmware for the VC-touch!
You can find it here: https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/releases/tag/3.12.0

New in firmware 3.12.0:
  • Added support for user devices. You can now add up to 10 user devices, with patch names, custom controllers and expression pedals, tap tempo, tuner, scene and looper support, as long as the device supports this functionality through MIDI. Almost any device that supports MIDI can now be added to your VController, VC-mini or VC-touch.
  • Added support for the Zoom MS50G and MS60B (MS60B untested)
  • Fixed bug where parameters that were not in the first slot were not executed.
  • Labels are read from the default page, if there are no commands for the switch on the current page and there is a command on the default page.
  • VC-touch: pressing the device picture will take you to the mode select page.
  • You can set or hide non essential popup messages with a new setting.
  • VC-edit: fixed a number of errors copying and deleting items from and to the On Page Select field. Also fixed crash for swapping patches.
  • Setlist select - double pressing a setlist will select the first item of it.
  • VC-touch: Updated ER_TFTM0784 library for support of changed hardware of the display.
  • VC-edit: fix of some crashes on Windows

rcknrllmn

I am curious, would there be any benefit to have scene control of the VG-99?  Is this possible?  Could one possibly get a little more mileage out of a single preset?

Thanks

sixeight

Quote from: rcknrllmn on December 27, 2023, 11:58:33 AMI am curious, would there be any benefit to have scene control of the VG-99?  Is this possible?  Could one possibly get a little more mileage out of a single preset?

Thanks

It is on my list of things to develop together with the GP10, which will benefit even more. Also working on some more ideas. As usual too many ideas, too little time. But do let me know if there is an interest in certain features. Then I may do them earlier.

rcknrllmn

You do wonderful work my friend.  It will be worth the wait.

sixeight

Found a few bugs that needed immediate fixing. Also added some minor features.
You can find the firmware here: https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3/releases/tag/3.12.1

New in firmware 3.12.1:

• KPA: Fixed performance names not displaying correctly
  • VController: fixed incorrect USER device navigation on fixed pages
  • MUTE: can now be "ON", "OFF", "OFF/ALWAYS ON" and "TOGGLE". This makes it easier to navigate multiple Boss/Roland devices.
  • SY1000: when selecting scenes on the SY1000, a press on a bottom row switch is ignored when a top row switch is actively pressed.

rcknrllmn

Is there a way to delete a page of commands on the VC-Touch?  I have a page in between 2 other pages I would like to delete so the 1st & last page are consecutive.

Thanks
Tom

sixeight

Quote from: rcknrllmn on January 07, 2024, 10:54:52 AMIs there a way to delete a page of commands on the VC-Touch?  I have a page in between 2 other pages I would like to delete so the 1st & last page are consecutive.

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom, deleting pages is not possible, as it would mess up the numbering of pages in the commands. You can save a page and then load it at another position though.

sixeight

New video on the 10 best features of the VC-touch!

Rolloq

Will the VC-touch support Boss gm 800 in the future?

sixeight

You can already make a user device for it. But if someone with a VC-touch or other VController product and a GM800 is willing to work with me, we can develop the normal device support.