Blue Chip AX100 - Firmware 2.09 to 7.28 OK ?

Started by Frandid, September 12, 2016, 09:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frandid

Hi there.
I have just ordered on Ebay the 4.28 rom IC for my Blue Chip AX100 (3rd model) Axon. This should transform the machine into a MK2 version from what I read. When I will have the rom IC replaced I suppose the 2.09 version will be changed for another one. Am I correct to think the firmware is installed inside the rom IC ? So when the new firmware will be installed it should display v.7.28 (instead of 2.09) on start up, is that it ?
2 questions :
-Will the mono input still work ?? As it has been replaced by a headphone output on the MK2 model...
-I have the original 1998 Yamaha soundcard, will it still work normally (as I read the MK2 models are fitted with a new card which has more samples) and my 128 "home made sounds" still be available and working ? (I have made a dump).
I already have installed the AX100 MK2 3.1.10 editor on my oldest PC fitted with XP SP2 and a midi card.
Regards.

Frandid

Hi

I am replying to myself since no one did !
I have started the process. I first replaced eprom 2.09 by MK2 eprom 4.28 which is the last one. It is OK. Everything seems to work. But my own sounds cannot be loaded in this new version. Not a serious issue since the sounds and presets can now be edited easily and quickly on my PC as my Blue Chip AX-100 SB now communicates with my PC.
Only one major issue : I wanted to update the firmware from 4.28 to v. 7.28, so I followed the manual's instructions :
"Press the "PRESET" + "UTILITY" + "EDIT" buttons while switching on the AX 100 MKII. The following appears in the display: "TERRATEC AXON FIRMWARE UPDATE"..."
But unfortunately when I press these 3 buttons and power on the unit this update display NEVER appears...
Is anybody here knowing why ???

Regards.

PS: I also replaced the sound card by one which is more compatible with MK2 version (better sounds and faster response but I don't think this has anything to do with the issue

Elantric

Elantric

Frandid

NeurOnX

Hello,
I know this is old, but i have the same problems like Frandid had. I checked everywhere to find the solution, but with no luck. Is possible to update to 7.28 firmware? i have blue chip Axon gen 3. I have now 4.28, but is not communication good with the pc and Yamaha sound card DB51Xg has no sound on a lot of instruments, but on original 2.09 is working, but is pain in the ass to program it.
Any help would be very welcome.
Thanks.
BR

arkieboy

Quote from: Elantric on September 22, 2016, 04:14:15 PM
Also Send personal message to "Arkieboy" - he is our resident "Axon Guru"

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=4775

I should add here that I don't know much about the earlier Blue Chip versions.  MkII from the Terratec, though I know pretty well.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Chumly

I still own an Axon AX100sb Mk1, with the Axon pickup.  I need to replace the internal battery, it's in my collection of to do stuff.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

NeurOnX

Quote from: arkieboy on March 07, 2022, 07:35:30 AM

I should add here that I don't know much about the earlier Blue Chip versions.  MkII from the Terratec, though I know pretty well.

NeurOnX

Quote from: Chumly on March 07, 2022, 01:27:18 PM
I still own an Axon AX100sb Mk1, with the Axon pickup.  I need to replace the internal battery, it's in my collection of to do stuff.

did you updated it to 7.28 firmware? I have problems to do it from 4.28 to 7.28..

Chumly

I have not used it since I purchased the Fishman TriplePlay stuff.  I did remove the backup battery (it caused a bit of a mess when it leaked) and cleaned everything up really well.  Now it sits with a bunch of other gear all needing repair.

If I recall correctly mine has the latest firmware for my version 1 unit, whatever version number that may be, but bear in mind that version 2 units have a differing final firmware number.

The truth is the longer I wait to repair it the less motivation I have to do so, especially in the light of how good the Fishman TriplePlay stuff is.  If the onboard sounds were better that might be motivation enough to put it back in action, but the Yamaha daughter-board sounds are clichéd and generic, and do not even compare to my also-aging, but much more useful Roland JV1010.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

AlakaLazlo

I updated my AX50 to 7.28 many years ago without issue. Still works great.
Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

NeurOnX

Quote from: AlakaLazlo on March 09, 2022, 07:46:22 AM
I updated my AX50 to 7.28 many years ago without issue. Still works great.

what was the procedure to do it? i cant get it work. i bought also Roland UM-ONE MK2, but no success for now.

Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks..

Dalai_llama

Quote from: NeurOnX on March 07, 2022, 06:46:46 AM
Is possible to update to 7.28 firmware? i have blue chip Axon gen 3.

No, only Terratec Axons will go up to firmware 7.28.

With the Blue Chip Axons updates were only possible by replacing the Eprom, and not all AX100 versions were upgradable to 4.28. Yours might be one of those, hence your current troubles.

Likewise, the editor only works with Terratec units.

That being said, Blue Chip Axons v 2.09 were great machines and the Yamaha DB51XG was one of the best soundcards ever. So without the new Eprom you already have a fantastic device there.

NeurOnX

Quote from: Dalai_llama on March 10, 2022, 05:29:07 PM
No, only Terratec Axons will go up to firmware 7.28.

With the Blue Chip Axons updates were only possible by replacing the Eprom, and not all AX100 versions were upgradable to 4.28. Yours might be one of those, hence your current troubles.

Likewise, the editor only works with Terratec units.

That being said, Blue Chip Axons v 2.09 were great machines and the Yamaha DB51XG was one of the best soundcards ever. So without the new Eprom you already have a fantastic device there.

The problem is that with 2.28 not all instruments are working on DB51XG ..thanks.

Dalai_llama

Quote from: NeurOnX
The problem is that with 2.28 not all instruments are working on DB51XG ..thanks.

This is most likely a bank issue with the presets.

Yamaha DB cards had specific MSB/LSB settings you needed to adjust so as to get the sound. For instance, Fretless bass was one of those that, when you called the bass patch (#36 if I remember right) it would give me a fretted bass. Only after changing MSB number the fretless would play.

So check your presets and find a manual for the DB51XG. I've seen the latter online for download. You may get it all working after some tweaks.

Though I never owned a AX100 Mk I with firmware 4.28, I recall users upgrading the DB50 with DB51s and getting this kind of issue back in the day. So it's worth checking.

Good luck.

admin

Many links to Yamaha XG MIDI specs  - employed on the Yamaha DB-50 / DB-51 waveblaster boards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XG