Is a KATANA MKI still worth it, especially considering the obsolete software?

Started by isoneedacoffee, March 29, 2021, 10:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isoneedacoffee

Hi,

I'm new here and have really enjoyed reading all the helpful comments/tips for Boss Katana users. This is my first post...

I own a Katana 50 MKii, and like it enough that I am now seriously considering getting the head in order to pair it with my 2x12 cab which I love.

I would be getting it used, and it's not surprising that the 100 head mki could be bought for less than the mkii. I have read a ton and know the major differences between them quite well, but I have questions about the software underpinning the mki.

I realize it is essentially obsolete at this point, but can the adobe air version of Tone Studio (mki) be easily downloaded and operated on both Mac and PC? Is there a 32 bit vs 64 bit (OS) part of the equation here that I should be aware of in the present or future?

If I want to download a .tsl from this forum, for instance, onto a Katana mki, the tsl would have to have been created in Tone Studio for Katana mki, right? My understanding is that Tone Studio for mkii is backwards compatible, but not the other way around.

I know that there are third party developers of the software but I'm not sure if I should rely on that long term.

The way I see it is like this:

MKII advantages:
Newer version of Tone Studio - that does not show signs that it will be obsolete any time soon
Amp in
Stereo Expand
Variations
More simultaneous effects
Concentric knobs for added control
GAFC changed for added control of individual effects

MKI advantages:
Lower Price
Can turn on/off loop with Ga-FC
GA-FC already has tap tempo

Some of these things matter more to me than others, but I feel like I really don't fully understand the ramifications of the different software.

Any advice or info you could share?

admin

Just skip the BTS and use Gumtowns Katana Floorboard Editor

gumtown

The KatanaFxFloorBoard editor will be supported long after the Tone Studio version is gone, even the 25 year old GT is still actively supported by FxFloorBoard.

The FxFloorBoard editor can do a lot more than Tone Studio, such as load in MK2 patches, GT-100 series and downward patches, direct access to the extra 'sneaky ' amp models, custom amp and booster models, and extra hidden effects.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorBoard%20for%20MK1%20Desktop/
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

isoneedacoffee

I do have to look more carefully at the Floorboard, but judging simply by recent posts, it appears to potentially be buggy. Then again, such threads seem to invite negative experiences and calls for assistance, so who knows...

Beyond using Floorboard, any other recommendations given my original question?

gumtown

Most of the reported "buggy" issues with FxFloorBoard have been the result of user error,
or any actual bugs with the editor had been fixed quickly.

You only see the posts from people who had issues using the editor, those that have a positive experience don't usually seek help on Forums,
so for the handful of issues, there are another 41,400 users of KatanaFxFloorBoard who seem to be happy with it.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

alancarl

I have 3 Katana MKI heads and I regularly and deeply use the FX Floorboard editor along with my own custom ipad control editor and I will confidently say this is the best guitar rig I have ever used in my 40+ years as a professional guitarist!
I have used this rig to go from Screamin' Blues to Symphony Orchestra environments and everything in-between gracefully as that is what is has taken for me to earn a living from playing music!
I suppose that it would be easier if Roland had given us any path to an editor as deep and useful as Colin's FXFloorboard but we have his excellent Apps and they are totally free although I know that donations are gladly accepted:-)

I almost forgot I picked up a MKII head about a year and a half ago but I have not gotten around to even turning it on...I guess that the MKI's have kept me quite busy.
Have fun!
-Al

jassy

I own a Katana I and all the good things that have been said about him by hundreds of users (in this forum there is a thread compiling the overwhelmingly positive comments taken from other forums and from this one) and the tremendous success this amp had were fully justified, it was and continues to be a Superb amp in all respects, even capable of competing with many tube amps.
What happens is that we guitarists are that "coherent" that a new model arrives and suddenly what seemed magnificent to us becomes almost mediocre.
My advice IMO, buy a second hand one that is almost like new (you will fin plenty), it will cost you a fraction of the mark II and you will have the 90% of it.

Petros_k

The Katana amp (MKI) is "obsolete" ???

I have no clue what the OP is talking about. There's nothing "obsolete" about this amp.

admin

Quote from: Petros_k on May 08, 2021, 12:29:03 AM
The Katana amp (MKI) is "obsolete" ???

I have no clue what the OP is talking about. There's nothing "obsolete" about this amp.

No new firmware

Apple M1 USB driver appears to be missing in action
As Boss states their latest M1 driver is only for Katana MK2

I doubt we will see any new firmware for Katana MK1
.and Adobe AIR (required for Boss Tone Studio for Katana MK1 ) was dropped , now supported by Samsung/Harman

SO if you are not addicted to a new Mac every year , and wont be using a M1 ARM CPU Mac, then  no problems with a Katana MKI

philjynx

Quote from: admin on May 08, 2021, 08:35:45 AM
No new firmware

Apple M1 USB driver appears to be missing in action
As Boss states their latest M1 driver is only for Katana MK2

I doubt we will see any new firmware for Katana MK1
.and Adobe AIR (required for Boss Tone Studio for Katana MK1 ) was dropped , now supported by Samsung/Harman
But does it need new firmware? With Gumtown's software, is Tone Studio a necessity? I drive a 10 year old VW Golf, all it needs is diesel and such and off we go, I think we're all being led by the nose with this obsolescence stuff. If your gear makes nice noises, who cares that it can't be tweaked anymore?
Seriously regretting selling my MK1 Katana.

jassy

Probably not new drivers to M1 computers, but to me is one of the most instant satisfying devices to play guitar, I barely never connect to the computer, with the knobs in the front panel I get a ton of great tones so easily, this thing is so well engineered pairing the software to the hardware where it resides that it works so musically.

Petros_k

Months after my post above, still just not clear why anyone would say the MKI version of Katana is obsolete or "not worth it."

Is it that some people think Tone Studio no longer works? Do they assume MKII version fixed something that was broken in MKI?

admin

If you don't use a new Mac with M1 cpu, 1st generation Katana remains a popular option

Petros_k

I thought maybe AdobeAIR was unavailable making it impossible to run Boss Tone Studio, but I see that's not the case:

https://airsdk.harman.com/runtime

Hope it doesn't become an issue if Windows 11 becomes popular.

admin

Quote from: Petros_k on November 15, 2021, 12:38:39 PM
I thought maybe AdobeAIR was unavailable making it impossible to run Boss Tone Studio, but I see that's not the case:

https://airsdk.harman.com/runtime

Hope it doesn't become an issue if Windows 11 becomes popular.

As bad as Adobe(Harman) AIR was,  the current BTS versions are slower still

We recommend Gumtowns Katana FX FloorBoard Editor instead.

Rockan72

Regarding this, what is the difference between MK1 and MK2 as the Mk2 seems to works just fine using Tone studio on M1 Mac Big Sur?
To me it's the same amp, with a few more tweakabilitys on the top of the amp.
It doesn't make sense since the MK2 uses the same USB connection.
So what exactly is different between the two, besides boss wants you to buy the Mk2 if you want to use tone studio, that's just poor customer support to me.

Yet, the MK 1 becames obsolete due to the inability to use the tone studio when updated to M1 Mac.
That is not sustainable and environmental awareness as a business modell.

Rockan72

Quote from: Rockan72 on October 31, 2022, 03:31:10 AMRegarding this, what is the difference between MK1 and MK2 as the Mk2 seems to works just fine using Tone studio on M1 Mac Big Sur?
To me it's the same amp, with a few more tweakabilitys on the top of the amp.
It doesn't make sense since the MK2 uses the same USB connection.
So what exactly is different between the two, besides boss wants you to buy the Mk2 if you want to use tone studio, that's just poor customer support to me.

Yet, the MK 1 becames obsolete due to the inability to use the tone studio when updated to M1 Mac.
That is not sustainable and environmental awareness as a business modell.

I stand corrected in this matter.

Thought I´d give it a try tonight, and installed the MK2 usb driver, and then tone studio software from the Boss software page for MK1.

And it seems to work just fine, haven't tested it more than a few presets and a few adjustments, but it seems to work on the M1 Mac despite Boss information (even if they doesn't say more than: under testing) but all the users that have commented in this matter seems to not even have tried some trial and error.

The main thing is, it works, it recognizes my Katana 100 Head MK1 and I can store and load presets, and tweak as it worked on my previous Intel Mac.