SY-1000 -Normal 1/4" Jack input patches for Guitar without GK13 cable?

Started by admin, October 11, 2021, 08:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Folks claim SY-1000 can replace a SY-300

So why are folks not sharing any patches for  SY-1000 when using Normal 1/4" Guitar Input Jack only,  for Guitars without GK13 cable?

arkieboy

I think all but one of the =analogue synth= sounds I'm sharing are dynamic synth only, and should work (with the normal limitations) when switched over to a regular guitar input.  Never actually tried it though ...

Problem I have is that the odder, older guitar models like Vio and Crystal contribute a digital texture to the sound so the minute you want a chiff or bells you're leaning on hex processing.

I'll grab the appropriate sounds and drop them in a pack here tomorrow when I'm back at my computer. 

(Ed: forgot how much I use vio and Crystal)
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

gumtown

I have to confess, I have never used only the 1/4" jack input before,
it seems like a downgrade on the GK features, and getting less value from the SY-1000.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

arkieboy

Another useful proving ground would be to record simple demos of a selection of useful sounds from the SY300 and then post gumtown's SY1000 conversion for those patches.  More than happy to spend a couple of evenings to see how close I can make them sound, if they're not exactly there already.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Kevin M

Quote from: gumtown on October 11, 2021, 12:16:49 PM
I have to confess, I have never used only the 1/4" jack input before,
it seems like a downgrade on the GK features, and getting less value from the SY-1000.

Same here, but maybe it's time to challenge that assumption!  :-)

admin

Most of us own several guitars. And not all feature GK 13 pin output

Brings added value to SY-1000 if it can also serve use as a MFX unit for standard guitars too.

JiveTurkey was using SY-300 as a replacement for a Helix for straight electric guitar tones
(Example)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18696.0

Would be nice to showcase how SY-1000 could be used in similar manner.

BROCKSTAR

I don't know who claims that because it's not entirely true. Yeah, sure the sy-1000 normal input is basically the same as the sy-300 engine but the issue is the sy-1000 can't do the blender option which is a cool feature and also the sy-300 effects especially like the delay and reverbs are beyond better than the sy-1000 versions. The sy-1000 effects are too bland and watered down especially the delays and reverbs.

I was toying with the idea of maybe getting the sy-1000 back again (for the 3rd time lol) just to use as a normal input thing with more blocks, but it's just not worth the extra few blocks to me when the effects are not the greatest in my opinion. I'll just keep my sy-300 for now still, although I have been using jam origin MG2 again (waiting for version 3 soon hopefully) and I can get way more out of it synth wise then any dedicated pedal. So I'm trying to brain storm a set up using it only as my main synth machine along with my helix and other effects.

admin

SY-300 Signal Blocks

SY-1000 Signal Blocks

For straight electric guitar tones, using only 1/4" Guitar Input (or "Jack" Input for those in UK)  on  the SY-1000 could replace a GT-1000 for many folks, with its FX blocks in comprehensible order typical of Boss GT MFX.

Explains why I created this thread.

After 2 years, Im surprised  there are zero non synth patches for SY-1000.

Will never see SY-1000 Normal Guitar Input patches at Boss Tone Central. Because it might negatively impact sales of GT-1000 / GT-1000core.

Meanwhile at The Gear Page forum, I see many building new pedal boards with a GT-1000core and reserved spot for SY-200 - because the Boss US  marketing department does not want folks understanding the SY-1000 could replace a GT-1000 for many folks. For non Synth use.

Brak(E)man

Normal guitar patches would work fine to share (except the fx settings are quite different)
I think that one issue with sharing normal input dynamic synth patches, might be the same as
the SY300, it's so very dependent on the guitar what comes out.
The SY300 patch sharing didn't take off as much as the other GK units. Etc..
For me that had to do with the huge difference in sound, hard to share even with sound examples and input block settings which also changes the sound, very much so.
The same with the SY1000 normal input.

I might be wrong but that's my 2 öre.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Quote from: Brak(E)man on October 11, 2021, 02:06:07 PM
Normal guitar patches would work fine to share (except the fx settings are quite different)
I think that one issue with sharing normal input dynamic synth patches, might be the same as
the SY300, it's so very dependent on the guitar what comes out.
The SY300 patch sharing didn't take off as much as the other GK units. Etc..
For me that had to do with the huge difference in sound, hard to share even with sound examples and input block settings which also changes the sound, very much so.
The same with the SY1000 normal input.

I might be wrong but that's my 2 öre.

Agreed the guitar type , normal pickup type employed and playing technique make a huge impact on resulting Synth sound.

But you can use either SY-300 or SY-1000 for non synth tones-rather like a Boss GT-1 , focus on regular electric guitar tones.

JiveTurkey was using SY-300 as a replacement for a Helix for straight electric guitar tones
(Example)

On SY-300 patch sharing area , Rhcole shared many SY-300 patches he created, but very few audio demo examples  of what the intended outcome of his patch would sound like.

IMHO -no audio demo with the patch being shared = limited exposure, resulting in limited appeal.

SY-300 Patch Exchange
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=191.150

Brak(E)man

Quote from: admin on October 11, 2021, 02:32:01 PM
Agreed the guitar type , normal pickup type employed and playing technique make a huge impact on resulting Synth sound.

But you can use either SY-300 or SY-1000 for non synth tones-rather like a Boss GT-1 , focus on regular electric guitar tones.

(Example)

On SY-300 patch sharing area , Rhcole shared many SY-300 patches he created, but very few audio demo examples  of what the intended outcome of his patch would sound like.

IMHO -no audio demo with the patch being shared = limited exposure, resulting in limited appeal.

SY-300 Patch Exchange
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=191.150

I agree on the GT-1 normal guitar take, that's what I meant with normal guitar patches.
I used the dist/amp block a lot, usually together with the synth osc.

About sharing the sy300 synth I shared quite a few with sound examples + the input block settings
But they're still very different depending on guitar PUs playing technique etc.
Imo I think that's why the patch sharing never really took off with the SY300.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

philjynx

Quote from: admin on October 11, 2021, 02:32:01 PM

IMNESHO (= not even slightly!)
When I'm nosing around threads about products I don't own, patches with no accompanying audio file are hardly going to get me rushing off to the interweb to buy the gizmo.