GT-1000 - New Firmware Wish List

Started by Elantric, May 08, 2018, 07:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fretfile

Add an option to link the metronome to the current active BPM. So that if you tap in a new BPM, the metronome automatically matches it. This would sync metronome to delays, modulations, etc in time and allow easier practicing at any chosen tempo.

Or alternately allow Assigns to access the Metronome functions, which they don't do now.

To do this now you have to dive into the Metronome menu and press the EFFECT TEMPO knob to match the current tempo.

xuoham

Get the old synth block back !!

I really miss the "Brass" from the synth block in previous GTs. Why it is not on the GT1000 is really obscure to me. This old synth block was so organic sounding, full of minor quirks ... I got the SY1 hoping to find something close, but it's not really the same. All the more reason to add this old synth block, since it would not hinder sales of the SY1 or SY300.
Honestly, for such a high end GT, no synth block ???
I don't understand Boss sometimes...
Same for guitar pickup simulator : why on earth is it gone ? What are they thinking ?

Ewww .... what a shame, on an otherwise great unit, so great that i have the 1K and the core.

:::::::::

admin

Quote from: xuoham on May 02, 2021, 12:50:38 AM
Get the old synth block back !!

I really miss the "Brass" from the synth block in previous GTs. Why it is not on the GT1000 is really obscure to me. This old synth block was so organic sounding, full of minor quirks ... I got the SY1 hoping to find something close, but it's not really the same. All the more reason to add this old synth block, since it would not hinder sales of the SY1 or SY300.
Honestly, for such a high end GT, no synth block ???
I don't understand Boss sometimes...
Same for guitar pickup simulator : why on earth is it gone ? What are they thinking ?

Ewww .... what a shame, on an otherwise great unit, so great that i have the 1K and the core.

Which GT had a Synth Block?

xuoham

I owned (or still own) :

GT3 : guitar synth under "SFX"  Square, Saw, Brass, Bow

GT6 : under "FX2" Square, Saw, Brass, Bow

GT10 : under "FX1-FX2" Square, Saw, Brass, Bow

Pretty good monophonic synths. The brass had, as its name doesn't say, an almost flutey quality ...

Already there in the GT3 that i still have and bought in 1999 (or was it 2000 ?)

;D

gumtown

Quote from: xuoham on May 02, 2021, 03:22:43 AM
I owned (or still own) :

GT3 : guitar synth under "SFX"  Square, Saw, Brass, Bow

GT6 : under "FX2" Square, Saw, Brass, Bow

GT10 : under "FX1-FX2" Square, Saw, Brass, Bow

Pretty good monophonic synths. The brass had, as its name doesn't say, an almost flutey quality ...

Already there in the GT3 that i still have and bought in 1999 (or was it 2000 ?)

;D

Those early GT's did have some quite good mono synth effect, after the GT-6, the synths progressively got less in options, and less in tone quality, maybe as a deliberate roadmap to remove the synth effect for other separate new products.
Same with the 'AutoRiff' effect, it eventually disappeared from the GT's to make a new debut in the SY-300 and SY-1000 as the 'sequencer'.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

xuoham

The "brass" used to be the main lead voice on some of my tunes, like here, with the 2 voices pitch shifter :

ztan

Wish-
1. Ability to hold send/return effect loop settings between patches
2. Metronome to sync with patch or tap BPM
3. Ability to add custom panel graphics for non-stock functions like MIDI control
4. Larger patch font for manual display
5. Compression monitor in compressor block display

Matthias K.

Hi there,
I'm new here and since it is hard to get in touch with BOSS/Roland I thought I'd post some of my suggestions here.

Like always when I fool around with a new BOSS (and probably any other) toy, some quirks quickly become obvious. Like those:

• Bug (sort of): The Internal Pedal cannot be triggered by any Number Switch. I'd expect it to work with any switch in Manual Mode and see no reason why this should not be possible. After all, the Number Switches are listed as eligible triggers for the Internal Pedal.

• Suggestion: When in Memory Mode any action assigned to the particular patch number (not CURNUM-assignments) should not apply. The four other number switches don't perform assignments either in Memory Mode but change the patch and there might be a CURNUM assignment which only applies in Memory Mode).

• Suggestion: Like the Number Switches the Bank Up/Bank Down Switches should also be useable as differently assignable switches in Manual Mode and change back to their original state again when switching back to Memory Mode.

• Suggestion: The assigned colours of the Number Switches should also have an additional Manual Mode colour setting to reflect their differing Manual Mode targets.

More to come ...

Matthias K.

Trigger warning!

The trigger state (on/off) is not remembered when an effect block of a patch is initially off. So switching the effect on results in a trigger-off-state.

I think I hear a difference in rhythm based effects like slicer: Switching it on with trigger off results in the pattern starting with the next pulse of an internal clock which can result in a slight timing offset. Trigger on however causes the internal clock to restart with the trigger impulse. So could I save the trigger state, turning the effect on would at the same time reset the internal clock and the pattern would rhythmically follow my switching.

Sounds right?

Matthias K.

LED Suggestion

An additional dimmed mode would be helpful. This way switches could be color coded to reflect effect type etc. — plus the on or off switching status.

As it is now I can either indicate the effect type only in one of the two states or I can choose not to see whether it's on or off by assigning the same color to both states.

Matthias K.

A random idea

The wave assignment should offer a sample and hold waveform. This way we could add some sweet randomness all over the board. Sounds like a simple addition to me.

Matthias K.

Move to the beat in time

Would be great if the looper was quantizeable to the current BPM setting. The GT-1000 "knows" exactly how long a given tempo is and thus might cut a few recorded milliseconds exceeding a performed multiple of the beat.

(Attaching a few missing milliseconds however would be another processing beast I suppose.)

Matthias K.

Make mono global again

Patches in glorious stereo are great. But, alas, more often than not the sound engineer refuses a stereo guitar signal. To just use the left channel is no good solution since you only get the left channel signal from GT-1000.

My solution is to switch FX Expansion on, collapsing the GT signal to true mono. (I place the thus gained FX4 after the left cab sim of sub out and arm it with a Mastering Effect but that's just an additional option coming with this switch.)

Now, if the FX Expansion setting were a global option akin to Noise Reduction and Reverb levels (optionally overriding individual patch settings) it would essentially  be a stereo/mono output switch without having to change this in every single patch. For times when you run into said sound engineer type once again.

A good place would be under In/Out Setting > Total.

Matthias K.

Even better: Global Stereo Width Control

A less pragmatic but even more useful approach would be a globally adjustable stereo width parameter where, say, 100 means left and right hard panned (a.k.a. the status quo), 0 equals both L and R in the middle (a.k.a. mono) and then everything in between (which is useful in FOH situations when you want to go stereo but with less separation for the benefit of any listeners outside the sweet spot).

Would suit the professional tool that GT-1000 is very well. A good place would be under In/Out Setting > Total.

Matthias K.

Global Tempo Hold

Great to have now the option with the GT-1000 to maintain a given tempo when switching patches. It would be even better if there was a global switch to maintain the current tempo or not regardless of the individual patch settings.

Why? When I play with my band I need my song-specific patches to jump to their saved bpm-setting, using timed delays and all. But when I go jamming I want to tap in the tempo and switch patches in the middle of the tune and keep the current tempo setting.

Two very common use cases — one global switch. A good place would be under In/Out Setting > Total.

Matthias K.

Yet another Global Control: Speaker Sim on/off for Main Out

Maybe it's only me but here the GT-1000 output settings don't work well in my non-FRFR-scenarios. Whether I dial in the Katana 50 MKII (which I have) Power Amp In or any other output choice – the only way I get a non-razorblade-like overdriven tone is when I leave the GT in Line/Phones or Recording output mode AND switch every speaker type in every patch to ,,off", resulting in no filtering and AIRD-interaction at all.

I tried this with various tube amps, too, using their inputs and returns and got less than stellar results. Then again I read people raving about GT-1000's flexible output options. So probably it's just me.

But this is why I plead for yet another global switch: Give us the option to switch off speaker simulation on the Main Out globally (so we can feed a pure preamp-plus-effects-signal into an amp return/DAW without prior reconfiguring and saving of every patch.

A good place would be under In/Out Setting > Total.

Hammerhands

IF Day!

I've only owned the GT-1000Core for a couple of days, but so far I've found a few things.

Class compliant USB MIDI.  I'm pretty certain my GT-001 has this.  Since the GT-1000Core doesn't have bluetooth, I would really like to plug it in to an iPad and use the BTS app.  Class compliant audio, I guess, is asking too much!

Invert phase in Mixer 1, 2 & 3.  I'm using a Splitter-Mixer to create a harmonic tremolo and I've seen a Youtube video where it says the two signals should be phase inverted when recombined.  It seems like an easy addition.

Dimension Chorus.  The VF-1 can do it!

Fine adjust delay parameter.  If I can't get a Dimension Chorus effect, I would like to try to build one from the delays, but I would need to assign out-of-phase wave pedals to the delay time.

Hammerhands

It would be powerful if your target could be some of the assign or control parameters, like PC#, or maybe switch the target from EQ1 to EQ2.  Even more powerful would be to turn assigns on and off.

It would also be useful if you could send any MIDI message, like a sysex message.

Hammerhands

Switch the phase of the LFO in the chorus, especially on at least one LFO in Dual Chorus.

Hammerhands

Ability to put effects in the delay feedback loops.

Matthias K.

Quote from: Hammerhands on April 07, 2023, 12:26:42 AMAbility to put effects in the delay feedback loops.

Good idea. There is a way to simulate this: Place your delay (100% wet) and additional effects on a parallel path. If you want to get rid of lower frequencies to achieve some acoustic separation from the dry signal even with lots of delay, use the divider's high pass filter function to cut anything below, say, 400 hz on the wet path.

Matthias K.

Give S-Bend free choice of the interval, not just octaves. I for one like bending up 2 or 7 semitones and I know I can achieve that (and actually do it) with Pedal FX. Sometimes it would be convenient to trigger this via switch though and I see no technical reason for this parameter limitation.

ivanmancic

A Neural Amp Modeler captures player block (if there's enough processing power).
It would be great option for users, but also good for business as it would revive interest in GT series and put it in the spotlight.

Matthias K.

Now, this won't ever happen as an upgrade.
But what would really up the pitch shifting game is a

formant shifting option,

getting rid of artificial Mickey Mouse octaves up or Monster octaves down, producing a much more true to nature pitch shift. In fact, I wonder why this is not a common parameter. Even my little TC Helicon voice processor has it (and Roland/Boss voice processors, too). Kemper came up with this for guitar usage ten years ago: