GR-30 Editor

Started by Elantric, February 26, 2013, 09:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteIwas thinking about buying the Midiquest software for use with the GR 30 has anyone ever tried it ?

FWIW -we have the GR-30 Editor right here

It needs an older version of Windows, and was written back in the Win95 era
(Download Link here)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=25

===
Basic Operations
---------------------
Basically, "GR-30 Editor" does NOT break GR-30's user patches, because it works on GR-30's temporary patch.
The only case of breaking GR-30's user patches, is execution of "Send All Patches" of MIDI menu.

Connec MIDIs
---------------------
Connect computer's MIDI OUT to GR-30's MIDI IN, and GR-30's MIDI OUT to computer's MIDI IN.

Edit Patch Parameters
---------------------
Select patch parameter windows from Window menu.
Please refer to GR-30's operation manual about the details of each patch parameter.
"Get All Parameters" of MIDI menu causes to read GR-30's temporary patch.
And, "Send All Parameters" of MIDI menu causes to transfer editor's temporary patch to GR-30's temporary patch.

Save Patches
---------------------
First, execute "New Library" of File menu.
Then click "A11" to select patch, and execute "Write Back to Library" of Edit menu.
And execute "Save As..." of File menu to save your new patch.

Patch Library File
---------------------
A Library File includes 128 patches.
For change the patch name, click it and press return.
Double-clicking selects the patch as temporary.
For indicates the current patch, check mark appears on the selected patch.  (Windows version: the number and name appears at the top of library window.)
In this situation, the current patch of library is edited with temporary patch at the same time.
If you don't want to change library's patch with temporary patch, uncheck "Synchronous Edit with Library" of Edit menu.

Transfer Patch Library
---------------------
For reading GR-30's all user patches, execute "Get All Patches as New" of MIDI menu.
The other way, if you want to write all GR-30's user patches, execute "Send All Patches" of MIDI menu.
Caution:
The execution of "Send All Patches" causes writing over all GR-30's user patches.
We recommend you to get all patches, and save as library file.

Arpeggio Window
---------------------
For making arpeggio patterns, click the grid (pop-up menu appears) and choose velocity or tie.
Option-clicking on the grid allows to chage the tie length quickly.
(Windows:shift-clicking)

All strings edit (Mac version only)
---------------------
As for the parameters which can be set each string, the editing with option key sets the parameters of all strings as same value.

Gaustu

THis software does not work
Parker PDF85 modified: Sustainiac, SD TB-4, Piezo Hexpander 13 pin out.
GR-55 mod with 13 din thru, 6 analog outputs D-Sub => Presonus FS Mobile  8 analog inputs.
NI Reactor matchHEX Guitar Framer Ensemble custom.

gumtown

Quote from: Gaustu on April 06, 2013, 05:26:58 PM
THis software does not work
It is written for windows 98, if you are running Windows 7 or 8, and it does not run in compatability mode, then you need to install windows Xp mode or 'dosbox' emulation with windows 98 installed within your windows Nt (7 or 8) shell.
Another option is to install VM-Ware and install a dos based windows (95/98/Me) within that.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Hog Mouth

I am using the meritline MIDI-USB cable that is on this forum and I am able to "Get all parameters" and the settings load into the editor. When I try to "Send All Parameters", nothing changes on the GR-30. Also if I try to "Send" and then "Get" immediately after, I get a No MIDI Connection error even though I was already able to load settings into the editor. Any ideas what might be wrong? I could not find any information regarding the use of this editor however it seems like it should be pretty straightforward. Thank you!

gumtown

Which windows version are you running the editor on?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Hog Mouth

Windows XP. At first I was getting a "virtual device driver format in the registry is invalid" message even when in compatibility mode. 

gumtown

Probably an issue with the USB/midi device,
it will probably run ok on windows 7 and upward,
but windows XP might require a midi device which uses software drivers.

Hog Mouth

I tried it on Windows 8 but it does not work either. Do I have any other options? If not, what USB/MIDI device would you recommend?

gumtown

The editor program was written back in the days of windows 95 and 98, and is most likely a 16 bit program.
It won't work with anything latter than windows Xp, an Xp may even have problems running it.
Windows Me was the last Dos based windows platform fully backward compatible with 16 bit programs.

The new Midi/USb devices today were not designed to be used with old operating systems either.

The best solution is to run windows 98 in "DosBox" or in "VMware", or an old computer with windows Me or 98,
use a USB/Midi device which has been around for a while with drivers designed for legacy operating systems, like the M-Audio UNO.

Problems with running very old software on modern systems is timing, I once had an old game "Frogger" from an XT PC (8MHz) and went to try it on a newer system (i486 at the time) and found the game worked but at x100 speed and was unusable.
Midi programs are timing dependant, and the old GR30 editor will struggle with things happening internally quicker than expected.

asb2m10

Quote from: gumtown on July 19, 2014, 06:25:58 PM
The editor program was written back in the days of windows 95 and 98, and is most likely a 16 bit program.
It won't work with anything latter than windows Xp, an Xp may even have problems running it.
Windows Me was the last Dos based windows platform fully backward compatible with 16 bit programs.

The new Midi/USb devices today were not designed to be used with old operating systems either.

The best solution is to run windows 98 in "DosBox" or in "VMware", or an old computer with windows Me or 98,
use a USB/Midi device which has been around for a while with drivers designed for legacy operating systems, like the M-Audio UNO.

Problems with running very old software on modern systems is timing, I once had an old game "Frogger" from an XT PC (8MHz) and went to try it on a newer system (i486 at the time) and found the game worked but at x100 speed and was unusable.
Midi programs are timing dependant, and the old GR30 editor will struggle with things happening internally quicker than expected.
gumtown is right... the only solution is DosBox with a generic already configured USB midi device or vmware/virtualbox with a dedicated M-Audio UNO.

Or, if you have a Mac/Linux machine, you can try it with Wine. I did a quick test and the GR30 editor is able to talk to my GR55-MIDI USB connection. The rest was inconclusive although :P Anyway, that just was to prove that Wine is able to expose midi connections to the win16 API.

Still, yes DosBox is complicated to setup but once the MPU-401 device is configured in Windows 95/98, it will work on any device/midi interface that DosBox can use through your OS.

dissoww

Just got me a GR-30 + the GR-A2  :)

Tested The old "GR-30 Editor" on my old Windows 7 laptop.
And it looks like it works. Got connected right away. And was able to modify the setting.

Set the GR-30 Editor to run in compatibility mode Windows 98 / ME

Using a "ESI MIDIMATE EX" as a MIDI to USB interface

MIDIMATE II is a convenient USB 2.0 MIDI interface cable with up to 32 input or 32 output channels for PC and Macintosh systems.

Rolloq

QuoteTested The old "GR-30 Editor" on my old Windows 7 laptop.
And it looks like it works. Got connected rid away. And was able to modify the setting.

Set the GR-30 Editor to run in compatibility mode Windows 98 / ME

Was this with 32 bits Windows 7 ?
Rolloq

admin

Quote from: Rolloq on October 07, 2021, 06:39:54 AM
Was this with 32 bits Windows 7 ?
Rolloq
in my experience WIN7 32 had too many incompatibility issues, never works with older Win XP apps I tried , while Win7 (64) is more compatible, and more likely to function with apps designed for older Windows versions

Strategies for running older Windows apps
https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-run-programs-in-Windows-98-compatibility-mode

Rolloq

Yes i tried to  run in the compatibility mode Windows 98 / ME with Windows  7 64 bits it did t workout with the Gr.30 editor.
What about virtual pc?
Rolloq

markwoodford

I found midiquest running on my iPad works to edit patches on my GR-30.
I just bought it yesterday and I've only used it to edit individual patches, and that worked fine.
It was almost $100, but worth it to me as I'm resurrecting my GR-30.

The website is here: https://squest.com/index.html
I installed it from the apple App store, then purchased GR-30 support as an in app purchase.

I have an old computer running XP as well, but I would like to recycle that old thing.