Katana 100 speaker swap

Started by Tcaron20, April 19, 2017, 08:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tcaron20

While I like the Katana 100 I would still like to experiment with expanding the low end sound for Jazz. I will be swapping out the speaker for a WGS g12c/s, which I have lying around. This is a really nice speaker that rounds out the high end and adds some mid range.

Anyone else done a speaker swap on a Katana?

Michel347

Someone did swap for a Lead 80 and another one for a Celestion Lynchback with great result, I swapped mine with a Celestion V-Type today with great result as well, mind you mine is a KTN50, so already its speaker is a lesser quality than the one in the KTN100.

That was a great upgrade for me since I found it cheap from someone who didn't liked it for its use.

I now get a lot more low end and it tamed the higher end as well, I'm really happy with the change. The original speaker did improved quit a bit over time but still it was somewhat lacking the low end I was looking for.

melodisk

Im happy with my v30 in there :)

Tcaron20

This is good to know. The 100's speaker is fine.

Will be getting a 50 soon as backup and for light travel so this would be a good mod.

Thanks!

Tom

admin

CAUTION - If ANY Speaker (+) wire or (-) wire touch each other - or Chassis ground while powered ON -  - you fry the Katana Power amp

( BTW - this is true for ANY Solid State Power Amp, and many Tube Power Amps too.

vtgearhead

Interestingly, Roland's technical FAQ claims that K50 combo uses a 4-ohm speaker.  No problem putting an 8-ohm speaker in it, but maximum power output will be cut almost in half.

admin

Quote from: snhirsch on February 12, 2018, 12:08:14 PM
Interestingly, Roland's technical FAQ claims that K50 combo uses a 4-ohm speaker.  No problem putting an 8-ohm speaker in it, but maximum power output will be cut almost in half.

The important aspect is measure the Katana 50 watt speaker's DC Resistance - many on TGP reported this measures between 4.7 DC ohms and 5.3 DC ohms 

These are typical DC resistance figures for an 8 ohm Speaker.

4 ohm speakers will measure 2.7 - 3.3 DC ohms

admin

A TGP member reports
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25831483/
Quotemeasured 4.9ohms

Then its definitely an 8 ohm speaker in Katana 50

guitarisle

Quote from: melodisk on April 22, 2017, 11:51:06 PM
Im happy with my v30 in there :)
do you have a katana 100 or 50? I wonder if the 60 watt load of V30 is enough fro a Katana 100 combo

vtgearhead

Quote from: guitarisle on March 08, 2019, 08:47:35 AM
do you have a katana 100 or 50? I wonder if the 60 watt load of V30 is enough fro a Katana 100 combo

I think you are looking at that backwards.  The question should probably be: "Will the output of a Katana 100 exceed safe operating conditions for a V30 rated at 60 wattst?".  I don't know the answer for that, since we're back to an era where everyone lies routinely about power ratings.