Boss Katana Amps - FAQ

Started by Elantric, September 09, 2016, 08:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgearhead

Quote from: admsustainiac on February 01, 2018, 04:11:55 PM
KATANA ARTIST OWNERS MANUAL
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-artist/owners_manuals/
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/KATANA_eng03_W.pdf

Are CC 80-82 something new to the Artist, or are those supported in legacy Katana as well?  I'm not finding anything in the K100 documentation that mentions them.

admin

Quote from: snhirsch on February 02, 2018, 07:01:20 AM
Are CC 80-82 something new to the Artist, or are those supported in legacy Katana as well?  I'm not finding anything in the K100 documentation that mentions them.

Read the new common Owners manual

Roland mentions the MIDI commands for Head and Artist  - but Ive checked the Katana 50 and Katana 100 combos with a MIDI Monitor and can confirm the combos  support these same MIDI commands using MIDI over USB

worth trying with older Katana - AFTER loading latest firmware 2.04

admin

Quote from: Ilgrigio on February 02, 2018, 05:15:54 AM
Hello, I have an Imac with OS sierra 10.12.6, I updated to BTS 2.1 but when I go to see the version is 2.0 .... is it normal?

Yes thats typical (sadly)

admin

vtgearhead

Quote from: admsustainiac on February 02, 2018, 07:18:05 AM
Read the new common Owners manual

Roland mentions the MIDI commands for Head and Artist  - but Ive checked the Katana 50 and Katana 100 combos with a MIDI Monitor and can confirm the combos  support these same MIDI commands using MIDI over USB

worth trying with older Katana - AFTER loading latest firmware 2.04

Great, thanks for the link!

carlb

100W 112 combo, swapped out the stock speaker for a 60W Celestion Vintage-Century Neo. Very much like the lighter lift!

Tone-wise, I think the highs are a bit more ... refined? I like it.

Took it to a practice last night with one of the D'Angelico jazz-boat reboots (EXL-1), for a guitar/torch-singer duo thing on Valentines.

Entirely serviceable! Nice big-boat sound. "Ahoy!"

Regarding the D'Angelicos: Great guitars, superb playability and tone. Excellent value. Bonus: you get that D'Angelico headstock finial for exclusive "tone focusing."  ;D
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

CAUTION - If ANY Speaker (+) wire or (-) wire touch each other - or Chassis ground while powered ON -  - you fry the Katana Power amp

( BTW - this is true for ANY Solid State Power Amp, and many Tube Power Amps too.

admin

Elantric

Of all the guitar amps and cabs talked about at The Gear Page  - one specific Roland / Boss Guitar AMP family generates the most web traffic and interest vs all others
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/page-694

https://www.google.com/search?q=katana+mic+head&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisuPOKqe_ZAhUCrJQKHQ6hB5oQ_AUICygC&biw=1745&bih=1031

Elantric

Quote from: mchad on October 25, 2016, 04:42:09 PM
Would Codesmart's PrimovaSound MIDX-10 / MIDX-20 usb to midi convertor work for program changes on the 100watt combo?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.200
I'd rather get the combo than the head because down the track I might go stereo and 2 heads and 2 cabinets is not on.
http://www.primovasound.com/

For ultimate control of both Katana and GT1 look at the primovasound MIDX-20
http://www.primovasound.com

Elantric

Quote from: dazco, post: 26224982, member: 1963Did the thread i just started prompt this? As i said in it i have seen that said many times but i never heard any difference. Then saw a tone lounge video of the katana on youtube and they said to do this but NOT the master, the channel volume that is programmed into each preset. Then use the master to set the level. Tried that and big improvement. So i dunno what the deal is with people suggesting the master on 100 sounds better.

It depends on if you are at Bedroom decibel levels, small jam decibel levels, or full gig with a live drummer decibel levels - and what "feel" you prefer - I can feel more compression when i keep the Master up ,and Channel Vol lower.
But its true many folks can not tell ( or feel ) the difference of these settings, often due to the the style of music they play

If you only play shred , you may not hear the subtle differences these Katana Volume settings make  -

Just set Katana Volume settings to where they sound and feel best to YOU - ( which very well might be different from where it sounds best to me.

Remember the Master Volume and Power Scale wattage contols are NOT Saved with the current Katana preset, which is why I adjust Power Scale and Master for the current playing situation , and then  use only the Channel Gain and Volume controls to build my presets ( there are eight presets on Katana 100 /Head /Artist) I use the Channel Volume ( on the left) to balance the decibel levels - or dial in more boost for solo presets) as needed prior to storing the preset

Boss Katana Amps - FAQ

Read Jeff Slingluff's recomended Katana settings
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25745068/

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/22956088/

Jeff S wrote>

QuoteYes, absolutely. The thing that is unique about WAZA, Blues Cube, and Katana is that they are designed to capture all the power amp stuff we love about classic amps. There is a ton of effort going on inside Katana to reproduce the tone and experience of vintage transformers, capacitors, phase inverters, and even the dynamic interaction that occurs between the speaker and amplifier like it would in a typical tube amp.

BOSS intention is to give you an amp that has power amp sound and feel but with level control. I tend to tell people to start off with it on ten and work your way backward. Imagine if you were to put a Katana 100 head in an A/B switcher with an actual vintage Plexi. The plexi has no master volume and in tube amps the last stage clips first. I set the Channel and Master on Max to get that same thunderous dynamic power amp thing I love then back down (or not) the volume via the power control.

If you have a tube amp you love try doing the same thing for fun. As guitar players we love classic tones like Eddie, Jimi, and Page and not one of them had a master volume on there amp. You can run the WAZA, Blues Cube, or Katana pushing the power amp but they all have the power control feature to maintain the tone but at a lower wattage.

Quote from: dazco, post: 26225256, member: 1963I would suggest saving presets at 100% volume. It's a balanced tone where those thoughts of certain frequencies needing attention go away. .

Not on my Katana Head or Katana 100 watt 112  Combo-

as I change Amp Types (Clean , Crunch , Lead, Brown) each of those Amp Types have VERY different gain sensitivities and  VERY different output levels. I adjust the  Gain control to set the amount of distortion i prefer , then adjust the Channel Volume accordingly (and save to a preset) to balance all 8 of my presets.

Remember neither the Master Volume knob or Power scale control can be saved to a preset.
I can feel more compression when i keep the Master up ,and Channel Vol lower.

At the gig with drummers , I just set my Katana Head (into Katana 212 cab) with the Power Scale on 50 watt mode , keep the Master above half way up ( and never less - typically around 1:00 o' clock to 2:00 o' clock), then adjust the Channel Gain and and Channel Vol to my liking and store the patch - often only 2 presets are required when I sit in with a band , and I use my Les Paul and work my Les Pauls Vol controls as needed. I can stay on the Brown channel all night, and just lower my guitar volume to "3" for clean rhythm.
typically my Les Paul controls are

Bridge PU VOL = 10
Neck PU VOL = 3

and I can use the LP 3 position PU toggle switch for rhythm/crunch / solo = just like I used to do in 1974 with my Ampeg VT-40.

admin

VTGearhead wrote>

have a GA-FC controller, note that an expression pedal in the "Volume" jack acts AFTER the the loop. If you want control pre-loop plug the pedal into "FX". Not documented, but very useful in this case.

vtgearhead

Quote from: admsustainiac on April 28, 2018, 07:56:12 AM
VTGearhead wrote>

have a GA-FC controller, note that an expression pedal in the "Volume" jack acts AFTER the the loop. If you want control pre-loop plug the pedal into "FX". Not documented, but very useful in this case.

Our own Gumtown was the person who originally suggested this.  I cannot take credit for the thought.

admin

http://faq-jp.roland.com/category/show/9615

Q & A IN "KATANA"

【KATANA-Artist】 Q. Do you have the MIDI IN terminal? Also, what can you do with MIDI?
ANSWER
KATANA-Artist has a MIDI IN terminal.

You can use KATANA-Artist's MIDI IN jacks to control from multi-effectors and MIDI foot controllers.

For MIDI reception channels and data actually received, please see below.
* See also the instruction manual of KATANA-Artist

● How to set the MIDI receive channel

Receive channel      operation
CH1                Hold down the [CH1] button and turn on the power
CH2                Hold down the [CH 2] button and turn on the power
CH3                Hold down the [CH 3] button and turn on the power
CH4                Hold down the [CH4] button and turn on the power

* It is set to CH1 when shipped from the factory.

● Receive data
 RX CH    1 to 4
 OMNI    OFF (fixed)
 Patch Change
 1 (00 H): BANK A CH 1
 2 (01 H): BANK A CH 2
 3 (02H): BANK A CH3
 4 (03 H): BANK A CH 4
 5 (04 H): PANEL
 6 (05 H): BANK B CH 1
 7 (06 H): BANK B CH 2
 8 (07 H): BANK B CH 3
 9 (08 H): BANK B CH 4

MIDI CC      (Value:0 to 63 = OFF , Value 64 to 127 = ON)

MIDI CC#16    =  FX1 SW
MIDI CC#17  =  FX2 SW
MIDI CC#18    = FX 3 SW
MIDI CC#19   =  EFFECT LOOP SW
MIDI CC#80   = GA - FC EXP PEDAL 1 (FX)
MIDI CC#81   = GA-FC EXP PEDAL 2 (VOLUME)
MIDI CC#82   = EXP PEDAL

* By manipulating the knob of EFFECTS, the setting of the knob will be reflected and the above ON / OFF will be invalid.

---
【KATANA-Artist】 Q. Do you have SPEAKER OUT jacks?
ANSWER
Yes.

In KATANA-Artist, the SPEAKER OUT terminal of 16 Ω A, 16 Ω B terminal, 8 Ω terminal (* 1) is carried.

* 1 In KATANA-Artist, when inserting into 8 Ω jack, signals from 16 Ω A, 16 Ω B terminal can not be signaled.
Both 16 Ω A and 16 Ω B jacks are output at the same time.
Be sure to use speakers of 16 Ω or more for 16 Ω A and 16 Ω B jacks .

---
【KATANA-Artist】 Q. Can you restore factory setting?
ANSWER
Yes. It is possible.

To return to factory default settings, hold down the [PANEL] button and turn on the power.

* During processing, the indicator blinks from left to right in the EFECTS section repeatedly, and the factory setting is completed in about 30 seconds. Do not turn off the power while Factory Reset is running.

---
【KATANA-Artist】 Q. Can I re-amp a USB connection and use BOSS TONE STUDIO?
ANSWER
Is possible.

---
【KATANA-Artist】 Q. Can you play pedal / wah with expression pedal?
ANSWER
It will be possible to use BOSS TONE STUDIO.

Pedal wah can be played by connecting an expression pedal to the EXP PEDAL jack on the KATANA main unit or by connecting an expression pedal to the FX jack of GA - FC (other than KATANA - 50).

<Note>

Be sure to use our products for expression pedals. If you use a third-party expression pedal, there is a possibility that the equipment will break down.

To play pedal wah, select "PEDAL WAH" for FX or MOD with BOSS TONE STUDIO.

For details on how to operate BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA, please refer to " How to use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA " on the following page .
https://www.boss.info/jp/products/katana-artist/support/

---
【KATANA-Artist】 Q. What can you do with Expression pedals?
ANSWER
By connecting expression pedal to EXP PEDAL jack of KATANA-Artist, or connecting expression pedal to FX terminal of GA-FC, you can play pedal · wah and control foot volume.

Also, by connecting an expression pedal to the VOLUME terminal of the GA - FC in KATANA - Artist, you can control all output levels including the output sound of the effect.

<Caution> Please be sure to use our company's Roland / Boss expression pedal. If you use a third-party expression pedal, there is a possibility that the equipment will break down.

To play pedal wah, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA and select "PEDAL WAH" for FX or MOD.

For details on how to operate BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA, please refer to " How to use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA " on the following page .

For effects other than WAH, you can control either the foot volume or the total output level depending on the position where the expression pedal is connected.

Refer to the table below for the position where the expression pedal is connected and the function that actually changes. 

Connection position                         function
EXP PEDAL terminal of KATANA main unit = Control PEDAL WAH or FOOT VOLUME. In the case of FOOT VOLUME, control the volume of PREAMP output ( see KATANA Operation Manual ).

FX terminal of GA-FC = Control PEDAL WAH or FOOT VOLUME. In the case of FOOT VOLUME, control the volume of PREAMP output ( see KATANA Operation Manual ).

VOLUME terminal of GA-FC = It controls the total output level (before MASTER) including the effect. The volume of USB - Audio also changes, but the volume of AUX does not change.

---
【KATANA-Artist】 Q. What about effects pedals with effects other than WAH?
ANSWER
When controlling effects other than WAH, depending on whether you connect an expression pedal to the EXP PEDAL jack on the KATANA main unit or connect an expression pedal to the FX terminal of GA - FC (other than KATANA - 50), It can control either the volume or the total output level.

<Note>

Be sure to use our products for expression pedals. If you use a third-party expression pedal, there is a possibility that the equipment will break down.

Connection position   function
EXP PEDAL terminal of KATANA main unit = Control the volume of PREAMP output ( see KATANA Operation Manual ).

FX terminal of GA-FC = Control the volume of PREAMP output ( see KATANA Operation Manual ).

VOLUME terminal of GA-FC = Controls the total output level (before MASTER) including the effect. The volume of the USB - Audio also changes, but the volume of the AUX does not change.

---
【KATANA】 Q. With effects other than WAH, what can you do with expression pedals?
ANSWER
By connecting an expression pedal to the EXP PEDAL jack on the KATANA main unit or by connecting an expression pedal to the FX terminal of GA - FC (other than KATANA - 50), you can control pedal / wah performance and foot volume I can do it.

Also, connecting an expression pedal to the VOLUME terminal of GA - FC (other than KATANA - 50) can control all output levels including the output sound of the effect.

<Note>

To play pedal wah, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA and select "PEDAL WAH" for FX or MOD.

For details on how to operate BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA, please refer to "How to use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA" on the following page.

● KATANA support information (common to KATANA series)
https://www.boss.info/jp/products/katana-50/support/

For effects other than WAH, you can control either the foot volume or the total output level depending on the position where the expression pedal is connected.

Refer to the table below for the position where the expression pedal is connected and the function that actually changes.

Connection position
function
EXP PEDAL terminal of KATANA main unit = Control PEDAL WAH or FOOT VOLUME.   
FX terminal of GA-FC  = Control PEDAL WAH or FOOT VOLUME.

In case of FOOT VOLUME, control the volume of PREAMP output ( refer to the KATANA Operation Manual ).

VOLUME terminal of GA-FC = It controls the total output level (before MASTER) including the effect.
The volume of USB - Audio also changes, but the volume of AUX does not change.

---
【KATANA】 Q. What can you do with expression pedals?
ANSWER
It will be possible to use BOSS TONE STUDIO.

Pedal wah can be played by connecting an expression pedal to the EXP PEDAL jack on the KATANA main unit or by connecting an expression pedal to the FX jack of GA - FC (other than KATANA - 50).

<Note>

To play pedal wah, select "PEDAL WAH" for FX or MOD with BOSS TONE STUDIO.

For details on how to operate BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA, please refer to "How to use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA" on the following page.

● KATANA support information (common to KATANA series)
---
【BOSS TONE STUDIO】 Q. BOSS TONE STUDIO for ** can not be installed.
ANSWER
If you get an error such as "Downloading is being confirmed" during installation of BOSS TONE STUDIO for ** and the installation is not completed, it is probable that installation of Adobe AIR is not completed.

At the time of installation of BOSS TONE STUDIO, Adobe
AIR of Adobe is automatically installed, which makes BOSS TONE STUDIO installed properly.

If the installation of Adobe AIR is not completed for some reason, installation of BOSS TONE STUDIO will not be performed normally.

In this case, please troubleshoot, please try installing BOSS TONE STUDIO manually after manually installing Adobe AIR from the Adobe web site.

---
[KATANA] Q. Can I purchase only speaker units?
ANSWER
We do not sell only the speaker unit part as maintenance parts.

In the unlikely event of a breakdown in the speaker / unit, please request repair of each cabinet.

---
【KATANA】 Q. Can I re-amp the USB connection and use BOSS TONE STUDIO?
ANSWER
Is possible.

---
【KATANA】 Q. What is the origin of the name?
ANSWER
I named "KATANA" because I refined the effect of the edge which is indispensable as a lock / amplifier as an original sound suitable for cutting and lead like a sword.

---
【KATANA - HEAD】 Q. What power amp can you connect to?
ANSWER
Please use a guitar amp cabinet with 100 W input and an input impedance of 8 Ω or more.

---
【KATANA - HEAD】 Q. Indicators of Ch1 ~ Ch4 are blinking, what kind of condition is it?
ANSWER
It is in the standby state.
When the POWER CONTROL switch of the KATANA-HEAD main unit is set to "STANDBY", the Ch indicator flashes.
---
【KATANA】 Q. Can you return to the factory setting?
ANSWER
Yes. It is possible.

To return to factory default settings, hold down the [PANEL] button and turn on the power.

* During processing, the indicator blinks from left to right in the EFFECTS section repeatedly, and the factory setting is completed in about 30 seconds.

Guido81

Hi,
I'm looking forward to get the Katana head, I already tested it with a Marshall 1960 cab at the roland dealer here, as it's the same cab I have, and sound was great, I also chose the head for the midi control capabilities... Now, the cab is a little big for transport, and also too big for small bars and venues.
I was looking at a smaller cab, presicely the Marshall JVM C212 2x12, that they have also here. What do you guys think? the C212 has two celestion G12, vintage and heritage

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JVMC212E--marshall-jvmc212-140-watt-2x12-inch-extension-cabinet

EDIT: I tried yesterday the C212 cab with the katana head. It sounds amazing! rich and full tones.

But now I have another question. There's an "acoustic mode" for acoustic guitar, for what I've been told (besides the acoustic sim, the BOSS AC3, wich should be between the effects). Is there an acoustic pre-amp working? The thing is, I have a couple of guitars with piezo system. (a tele with the fishman powerbridge and an ES-335 with the LR-Baggs TOM bridge) Both don't have onboard piezo pre amps, so I was looking at an external solution, If the katana has an acoustic pre amp inside, I shouldn't need anything else?!. The external solution was the fishman platinum pre amp and EQ, is an expensive solution, almost the same price of the katana. I've read it has amplification for acoustic guitars, but acoustic guitars usually have on board pre amps, besides, please correct me if I'm wrong, but acoustic amps have special speakers for full range, right?

BlueFuse

Quote from: carlb on February 02, 2018, 04:02:56 PM
100W 112 combo, swapped out the stock speaker for a 60W Celestion Vintage-Century Neo. Very much like the lighter lift!

Tone-wise, I think the highs are a bit more ... refined? I like it.

Would you mind weighing the stock 100 speaker so we have a reference to how much weight was reduced?
Thanks!

admin

QuoteBut now I have another question. There's an "acoustic mode" for acoustic guitar, for what I've been told (besides the acoustic sim, the BOSS AC3, wich should be between the effects). Is there an acoustic pre-amp working? The thing is, I have a couple of guitars with piezo system. (a tele with the fishman powerbridge and an ES-335 with the LR-Baggs TOM bridge) Both don't have onboard piezo pre amps, so I was looking at an external solution, If the katana has an acoustic pre amp inside, I shouldn't need anything else?!. The external solution was the fishman platinum pre amp and EQ, is an expensive solution, almost the same price of the katana. I've read it has amplification for acoustic guitars, but acoustic guitars usually have on board pre amps, besides, please correct me if I'm wrong, but acoustic amps have special speakers for full range, right?

Katana Guitar input is 1meg ohm input impedance
the speaker in all katana 12" versions is not "full range" - just like most guitar speakers, the Katana 12" goes up to around 8kHz, then rolls off above those frequencies.
Set Katana to the Acoustic Amp model and plug in your Piezo bridge guitars should work fine - lower the GAIN and Raise the Volume, adjust the 3 band TONE and Presence to taste. 

The "ACOUSTIC" Channel voice setting just adds an upper EQ boost electronically with the goal to provide the Katana speaker a higher frequency response up to 12kHz

Boss states:
The Katana "Acoustic Amp"  character further enhances the Katana's versatility, providing optimized tone that makes acoustic-electric guitars sound stunningly natural.

admin

https://www.boss.info/us/support/knowledge_base/115002366683/
KATANA-50 / 100 / HEAD / ARTIST VERSION 2.0-2.X EFFECT PARAMETER LIST
Tags: Katana-100, Katana-50, Katana, Boss Tone Studios, Effects, Effects Guide, List, Parameter Guide, Effects List, FX List, FX, KATANA-HEAD, KATANA-ARTIST, VERSION 2.0-2.X
KATANA-50/100/HEAD/ARTIST VERSION 2.0-2.X EFFECT PARAMETER LIST
Please see the USING BOSS TONE STUDIOS FOR KATANA MANUAL pages 19-27 for the
KATANA EFFECTS LIST PARAMETER GUIDE.

KATANA EFFECT PARAMETER LIST:
BTS_for_KATANA Pg 19-27 EFFECT PARAMETER LIST GUIDE.pdf
https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/article_attachments/360005917451/BTS_for_KATANA Pg 19-27 EFFECT PARAMETER LIST GUIDE.pdf

USING BOSS TONE STUDIOS FOR KATANA 50 / 100 / HEAD / ARTIST WEB LINK:
Using BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BTS_KATANA_eng02_W.pdf

PLEASE CLICK LINKS for KATANA 50 / 100 / HEAD / ARTIST SUPPORT:
https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-50/support/
https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100/support/
https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-artist/support/
https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-head/support/

admin

If the Katana does not function correctly - perform a System reset ( will Not change the installed firmware version)

Q.【KATANA】 Can you return to factory settings?

ANSWER
Yes. It is possible.

* During processing, the indicator blinks from left to right in the EFECTS section repeatedly, and the factory setting is completed in about 30 seconds.