Introductions all around Starting with me

Started by 0isez, January 22, 2018, 08:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0isez

Hi, 0isez here (nothing is easy) (bedroom guitarist) and I am new to this site as well as the GP-10 and the GK-3.
I have been playing guitar for quite awhile now and normally play 60's and 70's rock. I have owned many amps and pedals over the years and because I play covers most of the time I am usually stuck with a poor tone imitation of what ever I'm playing no matter how many pedals and amps I have. Occasionally when I hit on a combination of pedals and amps that sounded great for one song, they failed to deliver on 10 other songs. So, I have gotten pretty tired of the tone game trying to mix and match pedals to arrive at some tone I heard in my head.
I gave up altogether looking for a decent sounding acoustic guitar for under $500. What a hair puller that was! I thought about surgically placing a Piezo underneath my electric but didn't trust myself or anybody else with the operation.
My first multi-effect pedal was an RP-300. A collage of ersatz sounds lost in a toggle script. Didn't take me long to ditch that. Then I bought the Boss MP-50 and liked it so much that I bought another. Rugged, no toggle switch, looked cool as hell too in blue. Trouble was, half the sounds were not up to par even though there were some killer sounds mixed in. I still have both and still like them but not the pinnicle of modeling...not even close.
Still searching, I went from digital amps to tubes and boy did that made a difference! However,  even tube amps cannot fulfill every sound that you want to emulate with a guitar and who can live that long to try out every pedal?
I have pretty much given up on modeling amps and gadgets. Always detecting flaws I finally gave into the fact that I will never get a decent acoustic sound on an electric or even emulate half the sh** I could play tone-wise.
Then quite by accident I saw a video demonstration of the GP-10 on the Sweetwater website by Skunk Baxter. I listened carefully the first time and went back to that vid at least 50 times. Then I went to every Youtube GP-10 demo at least 10 times. Finally after about 6 months of toying with the idea I finally contacted my rep at Sweetwater and bought the GP-10 with the Gk-3 kit along with an addtional 13  pin cable (delecate item, so I wanted an extra).
When it was finally delivered, I didn't open it for a couple of days because I wanted the GK-3 attachment process to go well. I studied about 10 different Youtube vids on attaching the GK-3 and I finally felt ready to open the box. Let me say that I was pretty intimidated by this website and the manual. But after watching the various ways different people attached this item I knew there was a lot more room for variances than the manual let on.
I already had my guitar picked out for the GK-3- my trusty G&L Legacy Tribute. First thing I did was open the Gk-3 package and mark all the parts and put them in labeled cubby holes on my work bench, that way I would not flail around looking for tiny screws and stuff. I was feeling pretty confident, had all the parts laid out and organized. Guitar laid comfortably on a soft work table. Now the moment of truth: Would Roland's divided pickup fit under my strings? Half the guys I read said they were dissapointed that the PU would not slide under their strats string assembly the other half said it fit perfect. Which half was I? I took the PU and carefully slid it under, micro inch my micro inch. Nope, Strings sat way too low. The pickup would not fit! I guess I could raise the bridge but the height required would wreck everything I love about that guitar! Oh, BTW, a lot of the guys that could not fit the PU in were suggesting elaborate fixes that included luthiers. Ha, not me! There's no way I'm spending an additional$$$$ for this item. It would make the purchase regrettable in the light of everything I would go through! I looked around the room and there sat my Hamer USA Gold Top. I shrugged and thought OK. I didn't want to use a premium guitar on a synth but here goes.
I found a Youtube vid on fitting a GK-3 to a Les Paul. The Hamer which is modled after the LP had a perfect copy of a Les Paul Tail Stop. The demo was easy and my GK-3 installation went without a hitch! This is coming from a guy who can't draw straight line with a ruler!
That night I spent the rest of the time experimenting with the GP-10. After a couple of days I decided to go through my PA Monitors because my amps were coloring the modeling sounds too much! That's how good the COSM modeling is on this thing! My tube amp was ruining the purity of the modeling sound! I never thought I would say that!
I have now put another GK-3 on my Tele (SX) with flat would strings to flatten out the chording on the acoustic models and boy did that make a difference!
So as you can probably tell, I am exuberant that someone has actually suceeded in making a multi effects pedal worthy of praise in almost every detail. Hope this helps others if they are wondering if they have the skills to attach a GK-3 too.
Cheers...

chrish

Welcome to The Forum.

Glad you discovered that full range speakers are the way to go with this modeling stuff.