GR-55 - Receiving External MIDI Patch Change

Started by treewiz, February 05, 2017, 09:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treewiz

I for the life of me cannot get the Vypyr Pro to to call up any of my GR-55 programs correctly. I have the midi cable out from the midi out on the amp (and I tried from the Sampera Pro midi out) to the GR-55 and I have gone into the GR-55 systems USB/midi page and tried both fixed and program change and both units are on the same midi channel (#1). I have gone into the Vypyr's advanced output parameters and tried to set the midi program to match what I assume are the right program matches on the GR-55. The only way I have been able to change any programs on the GR-55 is when I moved the bank to either w or bank #94,95,96 and they are preset to certain presets. How do I communicate to each other unit properly?

Elantric

on GR-55 in System settings you must enable PC RX SWITCH to receive external MIDI Patch Change

see GR-55 Owners manual page 79

gumtown

Ensure the GR-55 system midi map is set to "fixed" as this is the only way the GR-55 will work with 'patch only' midi data. The GR-55 has multiple 'banks', but your amp probably only sends ,patch change' only, with not control change and bank change data.
With the midi map on 'fixed' it will respond to only patch change data.

Also ensure both units are using the same midi channel too.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

treewiz

I have the Rx switch on and I have read the manual from front to back several times like I do with all of my gear, I also have it set on fixed that's the only way I can get the Vypyr Pro to communicate at all with my GR-55 but it only responds on certain presets on the amp, #94-97 and somewhere around W-X in no particular order.

sixeight

Quote from: treewiz on February 06, 2017, 09:48:53 AM
I have the Rx switch on and I have read the manual from front to back several times like I do with all of my gear, I also have it set on fixed that's the only way I can get the Vypyr Pro to communicate at all with my GR-55 but it only responds on certain presets on the amp, #94-97 and somewhere around W-X in no particular order.

If you have a Midi-to-usb adapter, you could connect the Vypyr midi to a computer and check the messages it is sending. You will need MidiOx (windows) or Midi monitor (Mac) to make the midi messages visible.

More here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0