¿ SPDIF FX UNITS & Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 ?

Started by Hurricane, December 08, 2017, 06:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane

8)
I'm looking into a SPDIF unit to patch into my
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 to add FX before the DAW/CPU .

T.C. Electronics M-350

This runs about $199.00 - A similar Lexicon the same and for $50.00 more you get XLR's X2 in/outs .
Don't really think the extra  XLR's mean anything to me in my case so why spend that money .

My T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3 X FX unit is what I use presently live and into my
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 before going into my DAW/CPU   I like it's FX for guitar and vocal a lot they
are really superb .

I would assume ( and hope ) that it's  FX are the same as what's
in the T.C. Electronics M-350 because they are cool . IMHO having
the same FX engines live and for recording is a way of achieving
a consistent sound in your/my music .

Any thoughts , recommendations or opinions on this approach . I know
how well the VL3X FX work and I love them .

I like the T.C. Electronics M-350 for a 2nd. reason .

My go to 12 channel no name mixer has no FX , it's an oldie but a
goodie made in San Francisco .  This T.C. Electronics M-350 unit could
double up in function/work in my applications for live with my 12 channel
mixer and home studio use  ;) .

EZ :

HR

Elantric

Review the signal routing of the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/focusrite/downloads/31603/scarlett-6i6-2nd-gen-user-guide.pdf

i cant not find how you could patch this T.C. Electronics M-350 FX unit via SPDIF I/O into the 6i6 and have the M-350 FX occur before the signal hits the computer via USB while tracking.

Seems you would benefit from a multi-channel device with built in FX on each channel that also functions as a USB Audio interface
( Behringer XR-18)

Hurricane

I'll further review this . Good question . Maybe I am wrong
but I thought I read it was doable .

Not the first time I made a call wrong on assumed info . Thanks .

EZ :

HR

szilard

I don't know about the routing with the audio IF, but the M-350 sounds pretty good. I use it with an Akai Z8 - I don't like the built in reverb in the Z8 so I got the M-350. I've used it as an A/D converter occasionally, so if you have a preamp or can get a line level from your guitar to the M-350 you could record through it. The parameters for the fx are limited compared to the G-Major ...

Brak(E)man

The spdif is a stereo in or out , not both

But why not try to find plugins that can do and sound the same way as what you're using live.
That's how I've done it for years , I also beleive in consistency live / recording most of the time anyw.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Hurricane

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 09, 2017, 12:37:42 PM
The spdif is a stereo in or out , not both

But why not try to find plugins that can do and sound the same way as what you're using live.
That's how I've done it for years , I also beleive in consistency live / recording most of the time anyw.

I'm using my T.C. Helicon VL3X FX into my Scarlett .I like the results . I"m trying to find the article that
made reference to being able to this via the SPDIF in/out puts . I'm pretty sure I'll find that
article - who knows , the author may well be full of - - - - or me for that matter , won't be my first taste of
oooops I am ignorant on this one  ;D .

With 4 gig's of ram in my computer this is working nicely so far . The plug ins eat ram . The hardware doesn't &
the results are really good .

The FX of the T.C. Electronics M-350 FX are really sounding good to me . They also sound close or are the
same on my T.C.Helicon VL3X

EZ :

HR

Brak(E)man

I might be wrong , the Scarlett might have a routing poss.
You have to check the focusrite control software

Maybe you can route input 1-2 out trough spdif which I guess is output 5-6 and use spdif as input 5-6 and into the daw
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch