GR-55 - Make your GK-3 "Guitar/Mix/Synth" Switch work (step by step)

Started by Elantric, March 09, 2011, 08:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pradman

Newbie question, What are the connections for the the mix and guitar only on the gk3 to work properly? I can not seem to get the straight guitar sound to work. I have exhausted many possibilities from this forum but no luck.  Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Elantric

Use the advice in first post in this same thread

pradman

Tried the advice but still no luck.  Dumb question, does the guitar have to have the 1/4 inch cord connected to the amp also? I am thinking now that the gk3 switch is bad. :-[ 

pradman

Can not open link Elantric. message is
not allowed to modigy post.  :(

Elantric

www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3402.0

You also need the short 1/4" cable connected between your normal guitar output and GK-3 Guitar Input.

pradman

The included 1/4 inch cable is installed on the guitar.  Any other thoughts would be appreciated. THANKS in advance.

Elantric

Quote.  I have enabled the guitar in the "Tone" section, set the output for dual ( guitar and COSM) and tried every setting I could think of

You are only doing half the steps.
Read Step#2 in first post.

Start at first post in this thread and continue reading all the posts.

Then complain to Roland why they ship GK13 processors since 2007 (VG-99, GR-55)  that do not support  their own GK-3 Switch functions without major reprogramming headache by every new owner who wants his three way Guitar/Mix/GKSynth swith on his Guitar mounted 13 pin preamp by Roland, RMC, Ghost, etc  to work !

Its great hardware bogged down by very sloppy Burned into ROM Factory presets that frankly should never have existed, Id gladly give them up to free up more memory space for my own presets that allow the GK-3 Three way mix switch to actually work.

Try the following GR-55 patches, which do have the "Normal Guitar Pickup functioning.

10-1 for Normal PU 01
10-2 for Normal PU 02
10-3 for Normal PU 03

and watch the videos here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7327.msg51067#msg51067

specifically this one from Roland Canada - follow all the steps covered in the video below FIRST, before concluding you have a defective GK-3 mix switch!
GR55 - GK Switch Setup

thedavs

Hi Guys please help me!!!!!

Sorry if this has been done to death but i cant find any one talking about it.

My problem is that when my gk3 switch is set to guitar only (lined up to my amp) and i change bank the sound will come out as the main sound of that patch not my amp. I have move the switch to mix then back down to guitar only to get my amp working again. Have i set things up wrong or is this how its works, i can get around this my just flicking the mix switch after i changed bank but would be nice if it just seen that i want my amp sound.

Sorry if this is dumb question https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/Smileys/classic/grin.gif

Elantric

QuoteMy problem is that when my gk3 switch is set to guitar only (lined up to my amp) and i change bank the sound will come out as the main sound of that patch not my amp.

Need more data here.

Are you using the GR-55 Guitar Output Jack connected to your Guitar Amp?

thedavs

thank you for getting back to me so quick

Ok i use my guitar out lined up to my amp, and then L and R to my PA

on all my patches i have my guitar lined up so i can flick the gk3 to guitar and i have my amp sound and then a pcm sound on gr 55 in mix or gr only like it should work. My problem comes when my GK3 switch is in the guitar mode and i change bank on my gr, lets say to piano sound i get both sounds even with the switch is in guitar only( PCM sound and my amp). I move the switch to MIX then back to guitar then it all works like it should. Its like until i move my gk3 switch it don't work like it should.

thanks for your help

Elantric

Sounds like it might be a problem with "Assign Hold" parameter.
Post an example of one of your patches and maybe we can help debug

Elantric

Quotehaving difficulty running my regular pedals through the GK-55, then through my amp. Can someone give me some basic instruction, explaining the order of which I should run my cables, from guitar to regular pedals to GK-55 to amp, including the name of the input I should choose on the GK-55? I'm using a Fender Deluxe amp.

Direct Guitar Out/in and External FX Mod for Roland US-20 - place up stream in front of the stock GR-55 13 pin Input
www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7245.msg49223#msg49223

Elantric

In Roland's infinite wisdom, they attempted to add a new feature exclusive to the GK-3 - this relates to Pin #9 on the 13 pin cable (Pin#9 is not connected on GK-2A, and all Ghost / RMC versions)

But on GK-3 and GK-3B  - Pin #9 outputs a very specific Control Voltage which modern post 2005 era Roland Products (VG-99, GR-55, etc) may use to interpret the current position of the 3-way "Guitar / Mix / GK" switch.

GK-3 (Pin#9) Voltage Range: (GK  = 1.56V / Mix =  1.04V / Guitar =  0.52V
GK-3B (Pin#9) Voltage Range: (GK  = 4.48V / Mix = 3.96V / Bass = 3.44V

The GR-55 interprets the GK-3's voltage change on  Pin 9 of the 13 pin cable:

When you switch the GK-3 three way switch from Mix to Guitar, the GR-55 sends out MIDI CC#7, value 0.  When you switch from Guitar to Mix, it sends out CC#7, value 127.

If you have other MIDI gear attached that also respond to MIDI CC messages  you may encounter some interesting conflicts, so be advised

Scrapdog

I followed the video instructions exactly yet when selecting the switch in down position to 'Pickup only' the guitar is still dead. Silence.  :(

In the 'mixed' position my normal pickups are also completely silent.

Just to be sure I tried the 3 default patches mentioned. On all 3 patches my normal pickups are completely dead.

I think I have the bad luck of having the one and only dead Roland CG-1 on my hands.

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: Scrapdog on February 17, 2014, 11:28:01 AM
I followed the video instructions exactly yet when selecting the switch in down position to 'Pickup only' the guitar is still dead. Silence.  :(

In the 'mixed' position my normal pickups are also completely silent.

Just to be sure I tried the 3 default patches mentioned. On all 3 patches my normal pickups are completely dead.

I think I have the bad luck of having the one and only dead Roland CG-1 on my hands.
Perhaps the normal pickups aren't being routed to the GK circuit? Have you peeked in side to make sure a connection hasn't come loose? I'm assuming you've tried the obvious and made sure your pickups are working normally via the regular guitar jack on your CG-1.

Elantric

Quoteyet when selecting the switch in down position to 'Pickup only' the guitar is still dead.

Be sure to Read the GC-1 Owners Manual
http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/62428098/GC-1_e01_W.pdf

And be sure nothing is inserted into the 1/4" Guitar out jack on the GC-1 - as this 1/4" output jack is a special switching jack that removes the Mag PU's signal from the 13 pin circuitry anytime a 1/4" guitar cord is inserted.

and try the GR-55's Factory Lead Bank presets
GR-55 Preset 30-1 For Normal PU L1 = for Normal PU L1
GR-55 Preset 30-2 For Normal PU L2 = for Normal PU L2
GR-55 Preset 30-3 For Normal PU L3 = for Normal PU L3

You should hear normal guitar pickups there.

PiscoSourMan

Hi,

I know you are fed up already by question about the 3-way GK switch. Anyway, here it is.
I have set the "System" setting for GK3 VOL to "Patch Setting"
In the MASTER I have set  GK VOL to TONE VOLUME for PCM1, PCM2 and MODELING TONE, off for PU.

My sound is configured to make use of PCM1, MODELING TONE & NORMAL PU.
The Expression Pedal is configured as CROSS FADER with PCM1 at TOE and MODELING TONE at HEEL

What I want to accomplish is the following:
3-way switch in NORMAL PU setting: Hear only normal PU according controlled by Guitar Volume knob
3-way switch in MIX, here both NORMAL PU and PCM1/MODELING Tone depending on Ex.Pedal Position with Volume of PCM1/MODELING controlled by GK3 VOL knob
3-way switch in UP Position: Here only NORMAL PU and PCM1/MODELING Tone depending on Ex.Pedal Position with Volume of PCM1/MODELING controlled by GK3 VOL knob

This all works fine until I move the Expression pedal for the first time while the switch is still in the NORMAL PU only position. At that moment the PCM1/MODELING TONE comes in and from that moment on there is no more difference between the MIX and the NORMAL PU positon of the 3-way switch.

Any suggestions how to fix that?

The Piscosourman ( Daniel )

Elantric

PiscoSourMan

Patch attached. Would be nice if someone can help me here. I am a bloddy beginner with this unit.

Cricket

Quote from:  PiscoSourMan on March 01, 2014, 03:39:56 AM
Hi,

I know you are fed up already by question about the 3-way GK switch. Anyway, here it is.
I have set the "System" setting for GK3 VOL to "Patch Setting"
In the MASTER I have set  GK VOL to TONE VOLUME for PCM1, PCM2 and MODELING TONE, off for PU.

My sound is configured to make use of PCM1, MODELING TONE & NORMAL PU.
The Expression Pedal is configured as CROSS FADER with PCM1 at TOE and MODELING TONE at HEEL

I did not see these settings in your patch.  What I saw was GK Vol set to "off,"  EXP set to "patch volume,"  EXP ON set to "tone volume" for pcm1 and pcm2,  and EXP SW "on."   (EXP SW function is off, however, it looks like you saved the patch with the switch itself on... this matters.)   

Attached is the patch with the settings you specified.   Perhaps this will work for you?  Not hooked up to my rig so I didn't actually try it with a guitar.

Also, make sure you have pcm 1, model, and normal p/u enabled on the "tone" page.    Not sure those are all turned on.   Anyway, hope this helps.

PiscoSourMan

Thanks for looking into to this. Looks like I really have a long way to go, I even managed to upload the wrong patch. I try to attach he patch I meant to this posting. The last one that I attached was a factory default...

Cricket

PiscoSourMan

Thanks a lot Cricket!

Works now exactly the way I wanted it to work.
Where did I mess up? How did you fix it?

Best regards

Daniel

Cricket

Quote from:  PiscoSourMan on March 03, 2014, 11:47:32 PM
Thanks a lot Cricket!

Works now exactly the way I wanted it to work.
Where did I mess up? How did you fix it?

Best regards

Daniel

You're welcome.

Actually, I wouldn't say you messed up, as much as your settings didn't work.   

Honestly, there was nothing obviously wrong with your settings... except that they didn't produce the desired effect.  :P   The 55 can be like that. 

Anyway, I got rid of the cross fader and used assigns 2 & 3 instead to get that function on EXP.  You can check those settings to see what I did.

As to why this works and the other doesn't, I'm not sure.  If I had to guess, I'd say that cross fader and tone volume are both sort of "generic" volume controls and may conflict with each other, where the assign tells the 55 to do a very specific level change, i.e.:  pcm1 from 0-50?

And as to why you can hear the synth voices in the guitar only position on the GK3 in the original patch, I really have no idea.  All I know is swapping cross fader for assigns works to fix the problem.  Maybe someone else has some idea why these problems occur?

But anyway,  glad to help. 

Peace,

Cricket

Had

I have a gk2a using it with a GR-55 The switch will give me synth but no straight guitar sound???  It worked well with my old GR-1? Should it work?