Started by mchad, January 26, 2023, 03:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

Got leaked.

Cached on a retail site. $499US

You cannot view this attachment.

From that website:
Description
TONEX Pedal lets you store and play thousands of the world's most sought-after amps, cabs and pedals - or your own gear, modeled in minutes. IK's ground-breaking AI Machine Modeling technology captures every nuance of any guitar and bass amp, cab or pedal. Choose from an online library of thousands of rre, one-of-a-kind rigs, or use the included TONEX software to literally model your own gear at home on your computer. TONEX Pedal includes 480 Premium Tone Models of your choice plus unlimited access to free user Tone Models, for a limitless supply of sonic inspiration. In addition to letting you load up to 300 separate Tone Models to use at once, TONEX Pedal also offers IK's award-winning VIR(TM) cabinet and mic simulation, a custom IR loader to use your own impulses, plus an advanced noise gate, analog-modeled EQ and compressor, and stereo reverb derived from our award-winning AmpliTube X-TIME pedal. Made in Italy, TONEX Pedal features a rugged aluminum chassis, 24-bit, 192 kHz processing, massively wide 5 Hz-24 kHz response, and a whisper-quiet 123 dB noise floor. Plus TONEX Pedal also doubles as a 24 bit/96 kHz USB audio interface, so you don't need any other gear in the studio. And a convenient Editor application makes it easy to explore Tone Models and sync back to TONEX Pedal for never-ending inspiration.

Christophersad

Nice ! I don't understand why ik doesn't launch a fully featured multifx

admin

Quote from: Christophersad on January 27, 2023, 01:52:25 PMNice ! I don't understand why ik doesn't launch a fully featured multifx

Higher cost DSP required - becomes tough to compete with known competition above $1k

They already tried in 2007 with the STOMPI/O - that required a Mac/Win laptop as a host
https://web.archive.org/web/20071106144337/https://www.zzounds.com/item--IKMSTOMPIO

mchad

vtgearhead

Just received my Tonex pedal and first impressions are very positive.  As usual the factory presets define the lower bound for what the unit is capable of but after about five minutes of tweaking I dialed in a killer edge-of-breakup Marshall tone.  Need to spend more time with it.

gumtown

The Tonex pedal is something the "impulse buyer me" wants now,
 but shall wait until the hype has died down a bit, and re-evaluate the "need vs want".
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mchad

Quote from: gumtown on March 18, 2023, 06:22:45 PMThe Tonex pedal is something the "impulse buyer me" wants now,
 but shall wait until the hype has died down a bit, and re-evaluate the "need vs want".

I hear ya. It is tempting. The Tonex on a pedal board with some dirt pedals before it and a killer multi effect after.

NAMM is around the corner and maybe something else appears.

I think IK Multimedia have got the jump on other companies with the Tonex. If it is a good sounding unit of course. Internet chatter seems to suggest it is.

vtgearhead

Quote from: gumtown on March 18, 2023, 06:22:45 PMThe Tonex pedal is something the "impulse buyer me" wants now,

Oh, yes.  I'm usually put off by "excess exuberance" (see: Neural DSP Quad-cortex), but this one appears to live up to most of it.  Very smart design choice to offload profiling to a high-powered Mac or Windows box.  It can even use CUDA on newer Nvidia graphics adapters to speed up training.  At $399 USD it was an easy purchase decision.  It's probably more dear in your corner of the world.

Bill Ruppert

I bought one. Sorry I did.
Its back in the box.
Did not care for the sounds, architecture, effects(few), lack of EQ, horrid software and poor sluggish dynamics.
BIG internet hype job.

That is my personal assessment here in my studio with my ears.
I can get it all and BETTER with the SY or GT 1K

admin

Bill- was my assessment as well
But I'm floating in Kempers ,  Axe-FX, GT-1000, NUX, SPARKS.

mchad

jim-analog

Greetings,

Thank you Bill! I was sort of tempted; you took care of that itch.

Regards, Jim

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 19, 2023, 07:20:43 AMI bought one. Sorry I did.
Its back in the box.
Did not care for the sounds, architecture, effects(few), lack of EQ, horrid software and poor sluggish dynamics.
BIG internet hype job.

That is my personal assessment here in my studio with my ears.
I can get it all and BETTER with the SY or GT 1K

mchad

Lost my job yesterday.

Now this Tonex pedal is looking like an impulse buy I may find hard to resist.

It, plus an SY300 plus another killer multi. Or that new Boss SDE3000 delay.

That would be a cool board.

And don't forget the Slicer.

gumtown

Sorry to hear about the job, hope you find it again,

Keep us posted on your Tonex pedal reviews.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mchad

Quote from: gumtown on May 24, 2023, 04:34:47 PMSorry to hear about the job, hope you find it again,

Keep us posted on your Tonex pedal reviews.

Haha! Thanks Gumtown. I hope I don't find that particular job again. Move on I say.

The Tonex is $799 in Oz. That's not bad. I have been reading the internet chatter and it seems to be more positive than negative. I'm not too fussed that it doesn't have many effects. I'd probably use it's room reverb only anyway.

The quality of profile will be crucial. I won't be making my own so I will be looking for 3rd party ones that suit me.

Bill Ruppert

Well, my thoughts have changed a lot on the TONEX.
I finally have gotten some great sounds from it.
It took me forever to figure out the pedal's architecture and even longer to get the software up and running, much less figure that out!
But in the end it sounds great, so once again I have spoken to soon.
Out of the box it did not work for me, but once understood it can do where ever you want it to.
It is stripped down and does not have a lot of features other have, but all that can be added after the fact.
SO please disregard my previous thoughts.
Bill

GeePeeAxe

Sometimes it is "only because of not user friendly user interface" that keeps me away from todays digital toys. Back in 1995 it was different. the VG-8 was very challenging - and engaged a lot of my time, but I was rewarded!

Today I feel rewarded when I play real tube amps with a few selected pedals and guitars of my narrow choice. No need for a large palette of 1000s of presets and effects that make no sense in the end. So: I will leave this one also untried.

gumtown

How did the amp response feel, does the TONEX capture that well ?
I guess the Tonex tone controls are just a static EQ over the whole tone.
Wouldn't it be amazing if the tone sections of amp controls could be captured too, with captures including the some of the original amp's tone controls set at min/flat/max, and reproduce that response at the different Tonex tone control settings per Tone capture.

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on June 12, 2023, 04:40:10 AMWell, my thoughts have changed a lot on the TONEX.
I finally have gotten some great sounds from it.
It took me forever to figure out the pedal's architecture and even longer to get the software up and running, much less figure that out!
But in the end it sounds great, so once again I have spoken to soon.
Out of the box it did not work for me, but once understood it can do where ever you want it to.
It is stripped down and does not have a lot of features other have, but all that can be added after the fact.
SO please disregard my previous thoughts.
Bill

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: gumtown on June 13, 2023, 12:46:52 AMHow did the amp response feel, does the TONEX capture that well ?
I guess the Tonex tone controls are just a static EQ over the whole tone.
Wouldn't it be amazing if the tone sections of amp controls could be captured too, with captures including the some of the original amp's tone controls set at min/flat/max, and reproduce that response at the different Tonex tone control settings per Tone capture.

Gum
The amps feel great. Very very amp like. I have yet to capture as the PC program is not running great here, but I did add all the Boss Speaker IR's and got things to sound much like my Boss/Roland stuff I am used to recording.
I found great cleans, great Fender Dlx overdrive and great Marshall stuff. The compressor is nice as well as the reverb.
The bass, middle and treble controls are adjustable over their frequency range, so you can dial stuff in that works for you.
The Kemper now has the tone stack options you mentioned.
If I can get things running like they should, I will try to capture. I only need a few more things.

Bill Ruppert

One last thought for now.
ALL the boxes out there sound great!
The SY, GT, Helix, Kemper and more all sound great, and personally I could do my job with any of them.
It has come such a long way in 10 years.
Big win for guitar players.

whippinpost91850

Agree, but for live use , I still find Kemper is the winner

mchad

Great news Bill.

I haven't bought one yet but it is high on the radar.

I won't be doing my own captures. Reading internet chatter indicates that captures can be a mic'ed cab or a DI feed. I think i'd take the DI feed capture and use my own IR pedal.

I really hope there are quality captures out there.

p.s other internet chatter suggests that there is no software editor for the Tonex? and that the software with it sucks big time?

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 13, 2023, 08:04:15 PMAgree, but for live use , I still find Kemper is the winner

YES!!

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: mchad on June 13, 2023, 08:07:29 PMGreat news Bill.

I haven't bought one yet but it is high on the radar.

I won't be doing my own captures. Reading internet chatter indicates that captures can be a mic'ed cab or a DI feed. I think i'd take the DI feed capture and use my own IR pedal.

I really hope there are quality captures out there.

p.s other internet chatter suggests that there is no software editor for the Tonex? and that the software with it sucks big time?

Yes the software and editor is a BIG PAIN!
It took me forever to get a grip on it.
You can drop your own IR's in the box and that works great, but to get there is way too much work.
I put in all the Boss IR's I have.
What is amazing is to hear how much of the sounds footprint is in the IR's.

Benjazz31

I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the software. I bought the tonex capture to enter my amps and I must say that I was convinced. I captured SCXD, Roland Blues cube, voxA30 and with pedals. The result is very good provided you capture with a good microphone and in a suitable room. If the capture is in a room or a church, it makes a difference.

The software part has been updated with version 1.1.6 and this is an improvement. there are still flaws in my opinion on the interface but we get used to it.

I took the plunge and ended up buying the used Tonex pedal near my house. the firmware upgrade procedure was buggy, I had to do a factory reset of the tonex before the update. the sound result is like the app, no more and no less. hardware management is a bit difficult at first to work the sounds directly on the pedal after importing them into the pedal.

The pedal can work as a soundcard but even with the buffers of the Asio driver at a minimum there is latency.

it is better to prepare everything on the PC and then transfer the tones.

For me, the Comp, the reverb are not at the level of the rest of the pedal.

Last night I just tested the Tonex in the loop of the SY1000 taken up in my Tech21 cab and it works very well. I will explore the midi communication to manage the patches.

Tonex pedal takes analog overdrives well upstream.

it lacks a possibility to standardize the patches on the tonex. Too bad it would save time.

I will continue testing later