ATG-1 Pedal Steel Guitar Pack only half pedal range?

Started by BobTheDog, August 24, 2017, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobTheDog

Hi Guys,

I have just got the Steel pack and installed it.

All seems to work well apart from only half the pedal range seems to be used, the 50% to toe range has no effect as maximum is reached at 50%.

So If I make a patch using the normal software pack with 1 octave up the pedal works fine I octave up is at toe down, if I do the same with the Steel Pack with 1200 on each string then 1 octave up is reached at 50% of pedal, last 50% has no impact.

I have calibrated the pedal, made no difference.

Is this normal?

Cheers

Andy

BobTheDog

Ah, I just read the manual, something I am sure you would say I should have done before posting!

Perfectly normal it seems.

Elantric

I assume you talking about the ATG-1 Pedal Steel Guitar Pack?

ATG-1 Pedal Steel Guitar Pack Manual http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/mediafiles/online_help_records/72_Lap_Steel+_Application_Manual_v3.32.pdf

Chapter   1
The   Lap   Steel+   Features
What's   different   about   the   Lap   Steel+ Application
The   Lap   Steel+   application   is   only   available   for   the   ATG-1   Floor   Processor.
The   Lap   Steel+   application   is   the   same   as   the   Core   Pack   (the   basic   application   pack)   
with   two   additional   features:   the   Glissando parameter   and   an   expanded   PITCH   
SHIFT   dialog.
Consequently,   we   will   only   be   discussing   the   new   features   in   this   manual.   Other   
information   for   operating   the   Floor   Processor   can   be   found   in   "ATG-1   Floor   
Processor   Manual   v3.32.pdf"
The   PITCH   SHIFT   dialog
The   PITCH   SHIFT   dialog   works   completely   differently   than   the   PITCH   SHIFT   in   the   
Core   Pack (that   is   installed   at   the   factory).   We   did   not   what   to   take   the   old   
functionality   away   from   users,   many   of   whom   are   accustomed   to   the   Core   Pack   
PITCH   SHIFT.   So   we   decided   to   create   a   separate   application   (the   Lap   Steel+)   and   
price   it   very   inexpensively.   That   means   you   can   install   the   Lap   Steel+   application   
along   side   the   Core   Pack   application   and   chose   which   application   you   want   to   run   by   
using   with   a   few   button   presses   or   a   specific   MIDI   Control   Message (discussed   
below).
In   the   Lap   Steel+,   the   PITCH   SHIFT   dialog   is   accessed   by   lighting   the   CONTROL   Led   
and   then   pressing   the   PITCH   SHIFT   button.
The   PITCH   SHIFT   dialog   allows   you   to   set   a   unique   pitch   shift   for   each   string.   The   
PITCH   SHIFT   can   be   set   from   -1250   cents   to   +1250   cents.   That   is   slightly   more   than   
a   two   octave   range   (every 100   cents   is   a   semitone   in   the   equal   tempered   diatonic   
scale).   Because   these   pitch   shifts   depend   on   the   string,   as   you   use   the   pedal   to   shift   
one   string   up   and   a   different   string   down   in   pitch   at   the   same   time.   
First,   you   set   the   string   by   using   the   arrow   button   to   move   the   cursor   under   the   
string   name.   You   then   turn   the   DATA   dial   to   set   the   string.
Second,   you   set   the   pitch   shift   amount   by   using   the   arrow   button   to   move   the   cursor   
under   the   "Cnts:"   field.   You   then   turn   the   DATA   dial   to   set   the   pitch   amount   in   
cents. At   this   point   you   can   hear   the   pitch   shift   by   moving   the   pedal.   To   allow   
quick   pitch   shifts,   only   the   first   half   of   the   pedal   travel   is   used.   Moving   the   pedal   
back   to   the   heel   down   position   will   remove   the   pitch   shift   (provided   the   pedal   
travel   had   been   correctly   calibrated   - see   "Set   the   Pedal   Range   Calibration"   in   
the   Floor   Processor   Manual).
The   Pedal   remains   in   the   PITCH   SHIFT-ing   mode   unless   it   is   needed   for   setting   other   
controls   (Like   CAPO,   etc.)      This   means   as   you   change   from   preset   to   preset,   the   pedal   
will   always   be   used   for   PITCH   SHIFT.
The   PITCH   SHIFT   parameters   are   Control   Parameters
You   already   know   that   "Controls"   are   saved   in   presets   and   Global   applies   to   all   
presets.
The   PITCH   SHIFT   parameters   are   Control   parameters.   So,   for   example,   you   can   set   
PITCH   SHIFT   amounts   and   one   tuning   (say   an   Open   E)   and   save   it   in   Bank   2   Preset   
5.   You   can   set   different   PITCH   SHIFT   amounts   and   a   different   tuning   (say   an   Open   A)   
and   save   it   in   Bank   2   Preset   6.   As   you   switch   from   Bank   2   Preset   5   to   Bank   2   Preset   
6,   you   change   tuning   from   E   to   A   and   PITCH   SHIFTS   from   one   to   the   other   as   well.
The   Glissando   parameter
There   are   three controls   that cause   sudden   changes   in pitch:   CAPOs,      ALT   TUNINGs,   
and   DOUBLINGs.   In   the   Core   Pack,   changing   any   of these   results   in   an   instantaneous   
pitch   change   (flawless   and   artifact   free)   but   still   instantaneous and unnatural.
To   the   rescue:   The   Glissando   parameter.      The   Glissando   is   accessed   by   lighting   the   
CONTROLS   Led   and   turning   the   DATA   dial   two   clicks   to   clockwise.   You   will   see   
"Control   Glissando".   Use   the   arrow   buttons   to   access   the   Glissando   field and   use   the   
DATA   knob   to   set   the   value.   This   number   ranges   from   0   to   100,   representing   0   
seconds   to   (roughly)   10.0   seconds   in   time.   Set   it   to   10   for   1.0   seconds.
Now   change   CAPO   or   ALT   TUNING.   Instead   of   an   instantaneous   pitch   change,   the   
change   will   be   spread   over   a   1   second   time   period.
The   Glissando   parameter   is   a   Control   Parameter
You   guessed   it!      
Use   Glissando   10   setting   in   Preset   3   and   Glissando   20   in   preset   4,   say   with   an   
additional CAPO   change.      When   you   call   up   Preset   4,   it   takes   2.0   seconds   to   make   the   
pitch   change.   When   you   call   up   Preset   3,   the   pitch   change   is   done   in   1.0   second.
PITCH   SHIFT   parameters,   Glissando   and   Custom   ALT   TUNING:   the   perfect   
Trifecta
These   are   the   three   magic   ingredients   that   let you   create   any   alternate   tuning   and   
make   a   Glissando   transition   or   pedal   transition   to   any   other   alternate   tuning.   If   you   
want   a   temporary   transition   or   embellishment   (like   a   B-bender)   and   back   to   the   
original,   use   the   PITCH   SHIFT.   Remember   the   pitch   shift   amounts   are   unique   to   each   
string   and   can   change   whenever   you   change   presets.
Taken   all   together,   your   guitar   can   now   achieve   any   sound   that   a   pedal   steel   could   
produce   and   have   a   single   pedal   to   assist   as   well.      More   over   you   can   do   something   
practically   impossible   on   a   pedal   steel   - Solid   Tune   puts   everything   in   perfect   
diatonic   intonation.
Just   Intonation
Speaking   of   intonation,   you   might   have questioned why   the   Custom   Alt   Tuning,   
Custom   Doublings,   and   PITCH   SHIFT   amounts   are   all   controlled   in   cents.   Why   not   
use   half-steps?      The   answer   is   because   we   have   designed   these   features   to   be   used   
by   a   growing   following   of   enthusiasts   interested   in   Just   Intonation.
More   specify,   the   diatonic   equal   tempered   intonation   in   common   use   today   works   
well   because   the   evenly   spaced   pitches   approximately   match   pitches   whose   
frequency   ratios   have   integer   relationships.   Just   intonation   is   built   on   using   pitch   
intervals   that   are   exactly   integer   relationships.   As   a   result,   when   you   tune   a   piano   to   
C-major   Just,   then   a   C   major   chord   will   sound   fantastic.   It   dominate,   the   G   major   7th   
also   sound   pretty   good,   but   the   pitch   of   the   F   will   be   way   off   because   it   will   be   tuned   
so   the   Mediant   F   major   cord   to sound good.      God   forbid   the   terrible   sounds   that   
result   if   you   make   a   modulation   to   a   different   key,   even   one   close   by.
But   the   tools   we   have   with   the   product   release   have   much   more   potential   than   a   
single   Just   scale.   We   can   tune   every   chord   to   whatever   integer   ratios   we   wish.   
Baring   chords   up   the   neck   also   work   perfectly.   But   if   we   want   to   finger   a   chord   the   
intervals   have   to   be   incremented   differently   - voila,   the   PITCH   SHIFT   could   be   used   
to   pull   us   back   perfect   ratios.
Another   approach   would   be   to   have   multiple   open   tunings (ex.   multiple   Open   E   
tunings)   each   corresponding   to   different   fingering.   So   that   all   the   chords   we   play   
have   perfectly   sonorous   pitch   intervals.
I   am   personally   looking   forward   the   amazing   works of art   that   are   going   to   evolve   
from   this   technology!
Chapter   2
Changing   Application   Packs
There   are   two   ways   to   switch   from   one   application   to   another.      The   first   is   to   use   the   
"Select   Application"   page   in   the   CONTROLS   menu.
The   second   is   to   use   a   MIDI   controls   message. This   is   controlled   with a MIDI   Control   
Change   (MIDI   CC)   message.   The   Control   Change   messages   have   a   Channel   Number   
which   can   be   any   value   (OMNI   mode),   a   control   number   and   a   control   value.   The   
control   number   and   control   values   are   as   follows:
Function Control   
Number
Control   Value
Startup   new   Pack 24 string   numbers   1   to   6   for   high   E   to   low   E   
In   the   "Select   Application"   page,   after   you   press   the   right   cursor      ">",   you   will   see   a   
number   in   the   top   left   hand   position.   This   is   the   number   you   use   in   the   MIDI   
message.
Using   MIDI,   it   is   possible   to   make   very   fast   changes   between   applications.

FransFromBavaria

Uh, maybe my question ist dumb, but is this package still for sale anywhere as Antares stops support and sales? And i assume you download it with the ATG-1 utility... are there other packages available as well? Sorry for being a noob.

FransFromBavaria

Ah, just my luck. That's what i get for being late to the party.

cags12

Quote from: FransFromBavaria on October 01, 2017, 02:11:21 AM
Ah, just my luck. That's what i get for being late to the party.

I keep saying, while the servers remain online (until Oct 31st), I do not see why Antares would oppose to sell you the software pack as special order via email. I do not know for sure if they would agree but the best you can do is to contact them and report back what they say. But hurry, time is almost over.

Rhcole

Frans,

Aside from the pedal steel effect, the ability to have a fast glide between alt turnings makes pitch transitions much smoother between settings. That's a great feature on its own.

By all means contact Antares privately but do it soon.