Hmmm... a few concerning questions

Started by Rhcole, August 03, 2017, 06:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

So, I ordered the ATG-1 from Sweetwater today. They expect them next week.
I had just a few minutes to glance at the manual. My bad for making assumptions when I ordered, it may not do what I want. If you kind people might answer the following:

1. No Nashville tuning?? (that is very bad in Rhcoleland if true)
2. No easy user-created tunings?
3. Gotta have a 5 pin MIDI computer interface to change anything?
4. Can you change string volumes per setting?
5. No regular pickup outs anywhere?

Forgive my ignorance, I've been working all day and haven't had the chance to really dig in. But I will cancel before shipping if this thing turns out to be incapable of filling my needs.

bbob

Quote from: Rhcole on August 03, 2017, 06:34:08 PM

5. No regular pickup outs anywhere?

I know this is true, no regular pickup outs.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7286.350

Bob

Pete1959

Having only received my ATG-1 a little over a week ago, I am on a learning curve.

In terms of special string tunings, I believe page 15 of the owners manual explains this as a "Custom Preset" tuning. My guess is that it would be per string but have not checked. At the moment, my primary use of the ATG-1 was to have acoustic and LesPaul models plus Eb and DropD tunings.

As for MIDI, yes you need it. I use a Roland USB-MIDI adapter and it works perfectly well.

I have also noticed that the bypassing of the GK3 became a mute switch. Not sure if this can be configured to allow normal 3 way operation a la GR-55 or GP-10. Left my ATG-1 at my band's rehearsal studio and can't check. Maybe that is why Antares chose to include a 13 pin out jack as well? Odd and requires further study.

It would be disappointing if I can't bypass the GK3 and use the normal pickups on my guitars. Not a show stopper for me however. Perhaps if there are enough units out there to justify writing a more powerful software interface and take advantage of the 13 pin "through" jack to redirect to a simple A/B switch?

Elantric

Quote from: Pete1959 on August 03, 2017, 07:35:27 PM

It would be disappointing if I can't bypass the GK3 and use the normal pickups on my guitars. Not a show stopper for me however. Perhaps if there are enough units out there to justify writing a more powerful software interface and take advantage of the 13 pin "through" jack to redirect to a simple A/B switch?

Thats why I modified my ATG-1 to provide a 1/4" Normal Guitar PU Output  - it gets the signal from GK 13 pin input pin #7 and feed the tip of the new " 1/4" Normal Guitar Output jack

Read the ATG-1 Thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7286.350

Rhcole

Had a little time to work at my questions.

1. Yep, gotta have 5 pin MIDI but dug out an old Midiman 2X2, downloaded the drivers and it works (whew).
2. Software looks like users can program whatever tunings they want, right?
3. No regular pickup out is a real irritant but I suppose not a deal-killer. Grumble...

You know, and this is not intended as an insult to Antares, but I can see why this product didn't make it in the market because there appear to be a few clunky design decisions that should have been a bit more elegant. Of course we slam Boss all of the time for the same kind of stuff.

Calling it an Auto-tuner though whoo boy, that really was a bad idea.

chrish

quote "      3. No regular pickup out is a real irritant but I suppose not a deal-killer. Grumble  "

Guitar 13 pin out --to-- ATG 13 pin in----

ATG 13 pin out ---to--GP10 13 pin in--to--GP10 1/4"  guitar out

Rhcole

OK! I think I can get it to do what I need! Chrish, I'm trying to avoid having too many boxes hooked together, simple is better. Ideally it's the ATG, Mel9, and SY. But, I really really want to use both inputs on the SY with the Mel9 assigned to the input. I actually care less about the guitar's original pickups than treating pitch shifts as a form of synth osc section to feed into the inputs of the SY. But not always, because the regular pickups won't work with alt tunings.

Can do (I hope)! I'll use the stereo spread on doubled voices and send the shifted strings through the Mel9 into the SY. When it's an alt tune, I'll send a mono sound out both channels.

The real reason I'm going to all of this trouble is that I believe/hope that the ATG-1 is the current best pitch shifter in the neighborhood. I'm kind of burned out on the GP-10's weird gargle noises when shifting pitches.