Anyone use H.G Fortune soft synths?

Started by Pin, June 21, 2012, 11:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pin

I keep getting drwn back to this website and particularly the "Tiger" synth although others also look interesting.

http://www.hgf-synthesizer.de/

Anyone on here any experience of H.G Fortune stuff?

Pin

Hmmmm...plenty of views but no users it seems.

I still haven't taken the plunge but I still keep eyeing up that Tiger and a few of the others.

Now_And_Then

I had some of that stuff although I have never actually used any of it, and having looked at the site, I see that there's quite a bit of stuff to download, including free versions of VSTi's that were recently pay-for.

There seems to be a free version of the "Tiger" available on the downloads page. For that price, why not just... get it and try it? You don't have much to lose, and I would expect that it will tell you all you need to know.

Also many other items for free on that page. I have never actually tried them because they look as though they need quite a bit of perseverance to master, and I am not sure that that's the best way for me to invest my time.

tekrytor

SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Pin

Quote from: tekrytor on July 11, 2012, 12:21:26 AM
Have you tried ZynAddSubFX?

No, I haven't. Thanks for that.

And it seems there is a VST version available for download which works with REAPER:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268277

Re: Now & Then: yes, really I should go for the "free trial" Tiger version first as well as some of the others.

Message to self: Must stop procrastinating and get on with it.  ::)

tekrytor

ZynAddSubFX is free, which I like, but the kicker for me is how well it handles multiple MIDI channels (think individual strings on the GRs). You can assign a different synth and note range to each string or a group of strings. Pretty cool. And...even multiple instruments on the same string, similar to the two PCMs on the GR-55. The GR only allows two synths split or shared over six strings. With ZynAddSubFX, you can use multiple patches for each string.

The second kicker is how deep it is. It's like one of those Russian "egg" dolls, that keeps opening up, layers and layers deep with parameters you can edit. And, it's free. ;D
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Now_And_Then

Ah, now I've actually used ZynAddSubFX, although it was quite a long time ago.

I seem to recall that I was impressed by several things:

1) I seem to recall that it sounds pretty good;
2) I seem to recall that it does a bunch of things,
3) It was free; and...
4) The UI was horrible.

Well, just for the sake of refreshing my recollections, I went and got the latest version and installed it and my recollections were accurate: the UI really is horrible. And it's not just the UI is ugly, it's that is obtuse and makes it difficult to use (at least for a non-synth player, at any rate.)

ZynAddSubFX's difficult layout actually reminds me a bit of Seer Reality in that respect, but - again, as far as I can recall - Reality is far, far beyond this in respect to its musical capabilities. Looking at it, I would guess that the reason that I don't use ZynAddSubFX is the UI. Too bad that Seer Reality will only run on Win98 though...

As the "latest" version of ZynAddSubFX is just a bit over 2 years old, I am not expecting the UI situation to change.

Synth1 is pretty good, although, I think, not as flexible as ZynAddSubFX - although I could be wrong because I am hardly a master synth programmer. http://www.kvraudio.com/product/synth1-by-ichiro-toda

PS Those little wooden dolls are called Russian nesting dolls (in Russian, "matryoshka", plural "matryoshki" accent on the "yo".)

DreamTheory

HG Fortune has 39 free softsynths at

https://archive.org/details/HGFortuneNFG

lots of very good stuff in there

---
Reviewer: Raphael J. - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - January 12, 2016
Subject: RIP HG Fortune...
HG was Günther Hager.

Unfortunately he passed away in 2014.

The VST Instruments he programmed ARE fabulous.

The reason why so many of his Instruments are available for free is that he liked music and people making music.

He was a kind person who wanted to share and inspire.

Do consider the VSTinstruments that he put on archive.org as a true treasure and the legacy of man who lived for music and people making music.

It is unnecessary for me to talk about each one of his instruments.

Each one of them is fantastic by itself.

Just download and play in your favourite VST host DAW... and let Günther's spirit live on...

RIP Günther.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Now_And_Then

Ah, thanks for the info!

I am sorry to hear that he died, though.

His stuff always looked interesting but there seemed to be an "algorithmic composer" angle to them that kind of made it look unapproachable. Maybe I'll give it another go.   

(And not to carp but there seem to be 34 vsti's there.)