VG 99 Triggering Software Drums / Mac

Started by michaiel, July 20, 2011, 08:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaiel

I have been reading thru the forum and the manual looking on how to set up the VG 99.
I did find the following for setting up in Audio Midi Setup for Mac...

Settings for MIDI input and output on Mac OS X

Use a USB cable to connect the VG-99 with your computer, and then turn the POWER switch of the VG-99 to the "ON" position.
In the Applications - Utilities folder, double-click "Audio MIDI Setup" to start it up.
*   The device name might not be shown correctly in the Audio Devices area of Audio MIDI Setup, but this is not a problem for use.
From the Window menu, choose "Show MIDI Window" to open the MIDI Studio window.
In the "MIDI Studio" dialog box, make sure that VG-99 is displayed.
*   If VG-99 is not shown, or is shown in gray, the VG-99 has not been recognized correctly. Try clicking "Rescan MIDI." Alternatively, switch the power of the VG-99 off, then back on again.
*   If you installed a different version driver, it is possible that the previous settings are still present. If so, click the grayed VG-99 to select it, and then click "Remove Device" to delete the previous settings.
Click "Add Device" 2 times. "new external device" icons will appear.
For each "new external device," specify the "Device Name."
Click the added "new external device" to select it, and then click "Show Info."
In the "Device Name" field, enter the name as follows.
1st new external device   VG-99
2nd new external device   VG-99 2
Using your mouse, drag the up/down arrows indicating the input/output port to make the following connections.
The 1st ?/? of the "VG-99" to the ?/? of the added "VG-99"
The 2nd ?/? of the "VG-99" to the ?/? of the added "VG-99 2"
From the Audio MIDI Setup menu, choose "Quit Audio MIDI Setup" to exit the settings.

Question is can someone recommend some settings for triggering each string to a specific midi note
C1 Kick
D1 Snare
etc...
As well as any general settings that have worked for them when triggering percussion sounds.
thanks

Brent Flash

Quote from: michaiel on July 20, 2011, 08:34:57 AM
Question is can someone recommend some settings for triggering each string to a specific midi note
C1 Kick
D1 Snare
etc...
As well as any general settings that have worked for them when triggering percussion sounds.
thanks
In the VG-99, each string will send a specific MIDI note depending on what the string is tuned to and where you fret the string. That is not adjustable other than tuning your string. You can set each string to a specific MIDI Channel but the MIDI notes are dependent on what pitch you play on your guitar string. You can get the VG-99 to send another MIDI note other than what the string is tuned to with alternate tuning but that is not what you are asking about, I think.

If you want the Kick to play on C1 then the module making the sound must be set up to play the Kick sound when it receives MIDI note C1 or D1 for Snare, etc.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions.
There is a lot of info about MIDI in these threads.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=915.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2970.0

michaiel

Thanks for the reply...When I get this up and running I will add to this thread with specifics for the Mac community.