JTV 89F FW 2.21 - Extremely quiet B string? Any thoughts...

Started by Phil P, October 13, 2015, 12:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil P

Hello everyone,

I have a JTV 89F.

I have read a number of posts about people suffering with seemingly quiet strings but found no real answer or 100% cuase.

I am trying to diagnose my issue without taking the guitar apart if possible.

To me it seems that it can't really be a physical fault as when I revert back to 1.9 firmware the sounds seem much more balanced. (Maybe this is just wishful thinking, as I live in the UAE and getting piezos sorted here would be a nightmare).

So I want to ask:

Is this the experience that others have had?

B string (and sometimes E) seems outrageously quiet on some 2.21 patches. (especially the Jazz model Neck pickup for example)?

I am using gauge 9s. Could that maybe an issue? But if so why would 1.9 appear to sound fine?

Also another question - When fitting new strings to the guitar - The procedure is a little awkward (involving cutting off the ball and clamping the string into the bridge) - Could it be that I have not pushed the B string far enough into slot before cleaning? (this one I will answer myself shortly).

I would appreciate any insight on any of the above.

Sorry for the first post being a bunch of questions but once up and running I will be sharing too.

Thank you in advance.

My best,

Phil.
Phil Pendlebury -  SoundCloud / YouTube / MEAP

Elantric

On Tyler Variax, use  Variax Workbench to balance the string to string output levels. After firmware updates. Also on JTV89F , Be sure the Floyd Ghost piezo saddle is mounted to the bridge securely