LIVE re-guitar with the GP10 - Anyone doing this? Routing question

Started by germanicus, February 15, 2018, 08:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanicus

I've been futzing with the Re-guitar functionality, and wondering if its practical to use in a live context.
Potentially, the combination of the GP10 and a sufficiently powerful computer could provide a sort of VG-100.

Each strings output can be independently sent over its own USB audio channel, processed in a laptop, and then resent back through the GP10 for further processing.

A few possibilities:
-Run different amp models on each string
-Run different FX on each string
-Run different IR's on each string
-Run separate instantiations of Jam Origin Midi Guitar on each string
-Run separate instantiations of Helix Native on each string

The routing is somewhat limited, but I may be mistaken. One of the options doesn't seem to work --- "Re-Guitar/Amp 1" (anyone get this to work?)

You can route all the individual signals out, then back in separately to the GP10, and have them go through the alternate tuning engine, but you can't have the signals alternately tuned and THEN sent INDIVIDUALLY out of the unit for additional processing. This is unfortunate, as I would prefer pitch shifting to occur before going to Amp/IR modelers in VST's.

I believe however you CAN send that summed signal BACK into the pc and apply additional stereo effects.
So Individual strings out of GP10 into Laptop (each processed by VST's) then sent back to GP10 for Guitar modeling/Alternate tuning, summed to stereo, which can be sent back into the Laptop and processed through another set of VSTS (for amp modeling).

Anyone successfully using this or similar configurations for live playing?

It works well in a DAW. I have tried a few attempts at running 6 versions of Helix Native, each with multiple amp models, pitch shifters, and convolution reverbs.  It's .... taxing on my laptop.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Smash

What about running surround sound plug ins?

I've got some 5.1 plug ins in VST that discretely process the channels.

Just a thought...

relayerxxx

I've been experimenting with this recently. The main problem is that each channel requires a monophonic signal for pitch shifting, so if you add something like a delay the GP-10 can't process any overlapping notes.
I've yet to find a plugin with a pitch shifting algorithm that has a low enough latency to be usable live. I really wish there was some way of tapping into the GP-10 string outputs after the alt tuning stage. I've been waiting for Roland to implement that since the VG8, so I'm not holding my breath. I suppose you could use an interface with more that six channels and six good pitch shifting pedals!

tacman7

I have reguitarII as my USB routing to get the sound from the DAW to my interface through the GP-10 without going through effects on the GP-10.