Bituosity MiGiC Guitar to MIDI Software

Started by Kenmac, March 07, 2015, 10:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenmac

I saw this website mentioned on another forum. This software was developed by its author, Philip Karlsson, and from what I've seen in the video on the website it looks like it may work even better than the MIDIGuitar software. I mentioned that it was free for now because I noticed the Windows version states it's Beta 2 and it's available for both Mac and Windows. Here's the website if you want to check it out: http://www.bituosity.com/  I've downloaded it but haven't installed it yet. This should be interesting.  :)
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

Elantric

Thanks for sharing!

http://www.bituosity.com/

Meet MiGiC.
MiGiC converts your guitar to a midi signal without the need for extra external hardware. Saving you lots of money. The key features of MiGiC.

SIMPLISTIC YET POWERFUL
MiGiC is designed with simplicity in mind. Thanks to its simplistic GUI it´s very easy to calibrate the sensitivity and the accuracy of the conversion. Configuring the conversion is a very quick process and you will get going in no time! Features such as recognising legato and pitch bends are just a few clicks away.

EASY SETUP
Setting up MiGiC couldn't possibly be easier. Connect your guitar to your favourite sound card, select it in the setup panel of MiGiC and start rocking. For most platforms it will even work out of the box using the internal sound card of the computer.

NO LATENCY
MiGiC is designed with simplicity in mind. Thanks to its simplistic GUI it´s very easy to calibrate the sensitivity and the accuracy of the conversion. Configuring the conversion is a very quick process and you will get going in no time! Features such as recognising legato and pitch bends are just a few clicks away.

Endless possibilities.
By converting your guitar into midi you can extend your guitar playing in ways that you never could imagine. A new world of sounds awaits you. But don't take my word for it, download MiGiC now and see for yourself!

What are you waiting for?
A new world of sounds await you, download MiGiC for your platform.

Download MiGiC for OS X
Built for OS X 10.7 and later.

Download MiGiC for Windows
Built for Windows 8.1 with ASIO.

Please report bugs and feature suggestion through email at placeholder.

mbenigni

Thanks!  I'll definitely give this a test drive.

jburns

throwing a bump here to move any future posts into my "new replies".
looks handy and efficient.

Kenmac

Quote from: Elantric on March 07, 2015, 11:33:21 AM
Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome Elantric, mbenigni and jburns. I e-mailed Mr. Karlsson about the software to see if it was polyphonic and to let him know I posted about it here. This is the response he sent me:

"Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for checking out my software! I want to raise caution for the Windows version.. Windows doesn't support that a sound card with ASIO is used in two application at the same time.. This makes life really hard if you make a software as MiGiC where you want to use MiGiC and a DAW at the same time.. Therefore I have implemented "hacks" as ASIO4ALL and asio multi server and it has proved that these softwares are really buggy.. As a result I am (as a matter of fact in this very moment) developing a VST specifically for Windows so that you only have to use your DAW and run MiGiC inside of it :) It will only be a couple of weeks before its done! If you could forward this information to V-guitar I would be very happy! + that it is a very early stage beta

On the other side if your run OS X it will be completely painless up and running within 3 clicks and nu funky external software, just download install and rock! This is the very first beta and polyphony has not been implemented yet, although I have working models which will be implemented in the next or next next beta release! :) (There are controls already added for polyphony in MiGiC). If you compare it to the alternatives I would say that it is a quicker algorithm if you know how to tweak "sens" and "speed". Do you have an URL to the thread?

Best regards,
Philip Karlsson "

I sent him the URL and invited him to join us as we have a very knowledgeable group of people here and if he runs into problems I'm sure there will be several people here who can help him out as well as providing valuable feedback.

whippinpost91850

Elantric

Before he reinvents the wheel, have him read my most resent Blog Entry (click link below) where I mention VB-Audio's ASIO Alternative

It's a bit like Cycle74 SoundFlower OSX utility, but for Windows.

Another alternative ASIO driver -provides many interesting options

VB-Audio  Virtual Audio Cable, Voicemeeter Virtual Audio Mixer
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13328.msg97464#msg97464

QuoteINSTALL Hi-Fi CABLE & ASIO Bridge.

HIFI-CABLE driver will be also present as new playback and recording device (appearing in the audio device list with a Gold Cinch Connector icon).

HIFI CABLE is working like VB-CABLE except it needs to be configured with the same samplerate on its Input and Its output. HI-FI Cable is bit perfect and supports up to 24 bits 384 kHz audio stream.

With ASIO-Bridge Application, HI-FI CABLE's Input can be routed to ASIO Device Output, and ASIO Device Input can be routed to HIFI CABLE's Output.

HIFI-CABLE & ASIO-Bridge (Donationware)
Virtual Hi-Fi Cable And ASIO Bridge (XP, VISTA, WIN7, WIN8 32/64 bits)

HiFiCableAsioBridgeSetup_v1006.zip
  (3.90 MB - FEB 2014)
  Click Here to download from alternative web site.

INSTALLATION: Run Setup Program in administrative mode.

Kenmac

You're welcome whippinpost91850. Elantric, he did say he's developing a VST version for Windows that should be available in a couple of weeks and that his current method is a "work-around". I think once he gets that developed then things will be a lot smoother. He also said on another forum that in his tests that he ran MiGiC and JamOrigins MIDIGuitar at the same time and MiGiC was faster. Here's the link where he mentioned this: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=433668  It's the 8th post.

Kenmac

No changes to the Mac version but he's added a new Beta 3 version for Windows. Here's the message that comes up when you download the software:

"MiGiC for Windows, Beta 3 (VST)

FAQ and install notes

1. The VST is designed to be running on an audio track in your DAW.

2. Make sure that you select the folder in which you usually store your VST-plugins. You will be prompted specify the folder both for the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions if you choose to install them.

3. DO NOT change the location of MiGiC_helper.exe at any time. If you do this, MiGiC will no longer be able to produce any midi at all..

4. If MiGiC tracks notes but no midi notes are produced you might need to quit your DAW and manually start the MiGiC Helper application (added as a desktop shortcut) before starting your DAW."

I had no luck at all with the previous version but seeing as how this is a VST plugin, hopefully it'll work for me. Once again the website is http://www.bituosity.com

PhilipKarlsson

Quote from: Kenmac on March 21, 2015, 10:35:24 AM
No changes to the Mac version but he's added a new Beta 3 version for Windows. Here's the message that comes up when you download the software:

"MiGiC for Windows, Beta 3 (VST)

FAQ and install notes

1. The VST is designed to be running on an audio track in your DAW.

2. Make sure that you select the folder in which you usually store your VST-plugins. You will be prompted specify the folder both for the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions if you choose to install them.

3. DO NOT change the location of MiGiC_helper.exe at any time. If you do this, MiGiC will no longer be able to produce any midi at all..

4. If MiGiC tracks notes but no midi notes are produced you might need to quit your DAW and manually start the MiGiC Helper application (added as a desktop shortcut) before starting your DAW."

I had no luck at all with the previous version but seeing as how this is a VST plugin, hopefully it'll work for me. Once again the website is http://www.bituosity.com

That was fast! You beat me to it ;)

If you have tested the Windows standalone version I would be very interested to hear you opinion if the VST was easier to get up and running, faster and so on?

Cheers,
Philip 

PD FX

wow, nice converter, buffersize 32, njommy!!..
I'll do some testing, and I've got the first feedback BEFORE I've tested it fully ")
-The standalone does run on MacosX 10.6.8, but info states that it requires Macosx 10.7. Big difference for some folks.

PD FX

bug: -all noteoffs come with velocity 100. macosx, standalone 0.1

PD FX

bug/feature:
enabling the monitor in "setup", and then adjusting the latency is confusing, the response stays the same, whatever latency you choose. The midi is a clear "slapback" to the monitored audio, so lots of added latency there (garageband running on same computer with setting for realtime instrument playing). It might be that I'm using a guitar with a bit of too much background his/noise, but no succes so far.
So you should check humproofness of your algorhythm, in most households something hums.. Just add a bit of hum and to your testguitar.

PhilipKarlsson

Quote from: Guitarpolson on March 21, 2015, 03:09:52 PM
bug/feature:
enabling the monitor in "setup", and then adjusting the latency is confusing, the response stays the same, whatever latency you choose. The midi is a clear "slapback" to the monitored audio, so lots of added latency there (garageband running on same computer with setting for realtime instrument playing). It might be that I'm using a guitar with a bit of too much background his/noise, but no succes so far.
So you should check humproofness of your algorhythm, in most households something hums.. Just add a bit of hum and to your testguitar.

May I ask what buffer size you use in Garageband? I have only tested the software on OS X 10.7+ systems with good results with regards to latency. I am currently working on converting the software to audio plugins, the VST is finished and has proven to dramatically improve latency issues on Windows. I will release the audio unit in the next few weeks. Hopefully this will improve the latency even on older systems. You would then choose MiGiC as a plugin in Garageband rather than running the standalone application, therefore you will automatically set the same buffer size for MiGiC as the rest of your synths since the audio is extracted from the same stream. I have never heard about the note-off messages being fixed to 100, will definitely look in to this! Perhaps I could add a "hum switch" which enables some more pre-processing of the signal in order to decrease it, will look into this also, thanks for testing the beta. Some of your issues might be related to running an older version of OS X, I will try to get my hands on an older system before releasing the Audio Unit!

Cheers,
Philip

PhilipKarlsson

The audio unit and VSTs for mac are now completed and available for download (both in 64 and 32 bits). I am very interested to find out if the latency issues still are present when running MiGiC as AU in garageband.

Good luck,
/P

Kenmac

Quote from: PhilipKarlsson on March 21, 2015, 11:43:49 AM
That was fast! You beat me to it ;)

If you have tested the Windows standalone version I would be very interested to hear you opinion if the VST was easier to get up and running, faster and so on?

Cheers,
Philip

Hi Philip, nice to see you here. Welcome to the forum. I downloaded the Windows VST last night and installed it on my main music dedicated laptop but I can't seem to get it working. I'm using Reaper as my main DAW BTW, so is there something I need to do to get it working in Reaper? I'm also going to try installing it on my netbook, which also has Reaper, and I'll see if it'll work there.

PhilipKarlsson

Quote from: Kenmac on March 22, 2015, 08:57:22 AM
Hi Philip, nice to see you here. Welcome to the forum. I downloaded the Windows VST last night and installed it on my main music dedicated laptop but I can't seem to get it working. I'm using Reaper as my main DAW BTW, so is there something I need to do to get it working in Reaper? I'm also going to try installing it on my netbook, which also has Reaper, and I'll see if it'll work there.

I strongly recommend that you get the new version beta 3.1. This is no longer depending on rtpMidi or the "MiGiC helper". All you need is the VST, the midi are handled inside the DAW. Then you just make sure that you add the FX to a mono track in Reaper, has a significantly strong signal, monitor on ... and Rock! Just route the midi from the audio track that you run MiGiC on to a software synth-track and voila! I have tested and verified this on both the 32 and 64 bit version of Repar!

Best of luck,
Philip karlsson

Kenmac

Quote from: PhilipKarlsson on March 24, 2015, 11:53:13 PM
I strongly recommend that you get the new version beta 3.1. This is no longer depending on rtpMidi or the "MiGiC helper". All you need is the VST, the midi are handled inside the DAW. Then you just make sure that you add the FX to a mono track in Reaper, has a significantly strong signal, monitor on ... and Rock! Just route the midi from the audio track that you run MiGiC on to a software synth-track and voila! I have tested and verified this on both the 32 and 64 bit version of Repar!

Best of luck,
Philip karlsson

Thanks Philip, I'll give the new version a try.

ffata

OSX 10.8.5
Logic 9.1.8

AU Manager: MiGiC failed validation

Also, I can't get the stand alone version to operate.
In the Setup section it recognizes my VG-99 and my Apogee JAM.
I select one or the other without any response.

I have tried with Absynth 5, Reaktor 5, MTron Pro, Oddity 2, impOSCar 2, Virtual String Machine.

Thanks,
Fred

please see attached Logic screenshots

PhilipKarlsson

Quote from: ffata on March 26, 2015, 04:54:15 PM
OSX 10.8.5
Logic 9.1.8

AU Manager: MiGiC failed validation

Also, I can't get the stand alone version to operate.
In the Setup section it recognizes my VG-99 and my Apogee JAM.
I select one or the other without any response.

I have tried with Absynth 5, Reaktor 5, MTron Pro, Oddity 2, impOSCar 2, Virtual String Machine.

Thanks,
Fred

please see attached Logic screenshots

This bug is fixed in the new release available at my webpage. Make sure that you download MiGiC for OS X Beta 2.1 (VST/AU). The solution was for me to compile against the SDK for OS X 10.7 rather than 10.10.

Thank you for being interested in the beta and let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers,
Philip

ffata

Those were the versions that I was using, from a recent download
But...I figured let me delete everything and download everything again.
No luck.
The AU component won't pass the Logic AU Manager test and the standalone, the same as before.
Also, if I choose to select MIDI settings from the menu bar. the standalone shuts down.
p.s. I recently upgraded from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion 10.8.5.
But I made the mistake of appending ML on top of SL. Big mistake.
I'm writing this just to point out that I had to reformat and install Mountain Lion clean and reinstall
all of my software.
So everything is basically fresh.

PhilipKarlsson

Quote from: ffata on March 27, 2015, 05:42:13 PM
Those were the versions that I was using, from a recent download
But...I figured let me delete everything and download everything again.
No luck.
The AU component won't pass the Logic AU Manager test and the standalone, the same as before.
Also, if I choose to select MIDI settings from the menu bar. the standalone shuts down.
p.s. I recently upgraded from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion 10.8.5.
But I made the mistake of appending ML on top of SL. Big mistake.
I'm writing this just to point out that I had to reformat and install Mountain Lion clean and reinstall
all of my software.
So everything is basically fresh.

The standalone version is one of the first versions of MiGiC. By moving to VST/AU I have changed framework and will not continue the development of the standalone until the plugins are 100% completed. Therefore I think you will have better luck (also in terms of latency) with the plugins.

So now you have a clean install of ML and it still doesn't pass the AU manager? If not, do you get the same message as before? I would have expected (and I have reports of) the plugin to work from 10.7+. This is the latest version http://www.bituosity.com/installers/mac/MiGiC_Beta2_1.pkg I will do my very best to help you get MiGiC up and running.

Best regards,
Philip

ffata

After making adjustments to the Sens and Speed I was able to use the standalone with some success.
Not bad, very playable. (do wish it was polyphonic)
The AU still wouldn't pass until I manually selected it and ran the test again, then it passed. Go figure.
Ok, so now I can select MiGiC and have it as an insert on an audio track...but...
The UI does not contain the Setup button. Hmmm... (see attached screenshot)
When I eventually get this configuration up and running, how do I route the audio track to a soft synth?
I'm using Logic 9.1.8

Thanks for your help!
Fred

Kenmac

Sorry to hear about your problems Fred. I'm also having trouble routing it to a soft synth in Reaper on Windows 7 but I think Philip will have a solution soon. I hope he doesn't mind me posting something from his website:

"Status Update! I am currently working on the next beta release of MiGiC and I plan to release it in about a week (2015-04-05). This release contains fixes for a number of bugs and improvements both related to MiGiC and the installers. The biggest news is that I have added a new panel called audio. I have now made MiGiC a stereo plugin so in this panel you can easily select channel, apply preprocessing such as gain, filtering and compression. I have also included buttons so that you can change between conversion for bass and guitar. This version will also feature a VU meter so that you get visual feedback on signal strength in MiGiC and a monitor out switch for the dry/wet signal. These features are added from the input of all testers and I am very grateful for the enormous feedback and support I have received this far. Thank you!!"

So I think this version may solve both of our problems as it'll now be in stereo and the other new features sound promising.

PhilipKarlsson

MiGiC Beta 4 is now released!

I have now released beta 4 which includes a new preprocessing section with Gain, Filter and Compression controls. I have also fixed a number of bugs that I have been able to adress with the help of all testers. Thank you for all your support and I hope you will enjoy the new beta!

The beta is available at www.bituosity.com

Cheers,
Philip