Sustainer like effect

Started by myksara, December 11, 2017, 09:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

Hi all
Wondering if there is any alternate way of replicating the sustainiac / sustainer effects on Steve Vai' guitars without an instsllation..any pedals or effects on zoom g3x or gr55 or boss gt100/001?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Chumly

Sure, there is the DigiTech FreqOut and the EBow and the Electro Harmonix Superego (amongst others). Being the gear-slut that I am, I have them all, and why not, life's short.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Brak(E)man

This might work if you can find one and it fits on the headstock
http://www.sustainiac.com/model-c.htm
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

vanceg

Sure - An Ebow is one option.  Another is the Vibesware line of sustainers. These could be thought of as being a cross between an Ebow and a Sustainiac in that, Like the Sustainiac, the input signal is derived from one of your standard guitar pickups (the input into the Ebow is a 'pickup' inside the ebow itself).  Like the Ebow, the Vibesware can be moved anywhere on the string. 
You don't have to install it at all - It's sort of like an Ebow on a gooseneck stand.

In practical terms, I find the Vibesware to produce a more "feedback like" sound than a sustainiac...which I would characterize more as a "sustain sound"... but of course this is somewhat subjective and will depend a lot on your technique. 

Comparing it to using a sustainic:  you have to position/aim your guitar at the Vibesware, whereas with the sustainiac, the device is always in position.  This could be looked at as a strength or a weakness; with the vibesware you interact with the device kind of like you do with an amp - you walk up to it and aim your guitar at it, moving the instrument slightly to produce variations in the effect.  that's cool... but requires you to position your guitar.  With a sustainiac, the driver is always in one position relative to your strings... so you can't move the strings relative to the device... which means your get a more uniform, static sound.... could be a plus, could be a minus...

The Vibesware is an entirely under-used product and I can't understand why:  It's a solid, mature product that works really well.  It doesn't require modifying your instrument (which appeals to a lot of guitarists).   

I'd definitely recommend taking a look at their product line if you want to sustain strings  but don't want to modify your instrument.

Oh yeah , the vibesware is much more powerful and has a wider area that it effects, so you can get it to vibrate more than one string at a time... unlike an Ebow.

http://www.vibesware.com/

admin

QuoteSure, there is the DigiTech FreqOut

chrish

Quote from: vanceg on December 12, 2017, 03:40:59 PM
Sure - An Ebow is one option.  Another is the Vibesware line of sustainers. These could be thought of as being a cross between an Ebow and a Sustainiac in that, Like the Sustainiac, the input signal is derived from one of your standard guitar pickups (the input into the Ebow is a 'pickup' inside the ebow itself).  Like the Ebow, the Vibesware can be moved anywhere on the string. 
You don't have to install it at all - It's sort of like an Ebow on a gooseneck stand.

In practical terms, I find the Vibesware to produce a more "feedback like" sound than a sustainiac...which I would characterize more as a "sustain sound"... but of course this is somewhat subjective and will depend a lot on your technique. 

Comparing it to using a sustainic:  you have to position/aim your guitar at the Vibesware, whereas with the sustainiac, the device is always in position.  This could be looked at as a strength or a weakness; with the vibesware you interact with the device kind of like you do with an amp - you walk up to it and aim your guitar at it, moving the instrument slightly to produce variations in the effect.  that's cool... but requires you to position your guitar.  With a sustainiac, the driver is always in one position relative to your strings... so you can't move the strings relative to the device... which means your get a more uniform, static sound.... could be a plus, could be a minus...

The Vibesware is an entirely under-used product and I can't understand why:  It's a solid, mature product that works really well.  It doesn't require modifying your instrument (which appeals to a lot of guitarists).   

I'd definitely recommend taking a look at their product line if you want to sustain strings  but don't want to modify your instrument.

Oh yeah , the vibesware is much more powerful and has a wider area that it effects, so you can get it to vibrate more than one string at a time... unlike an Ebow.

http://www.vibesware.com/
thanks for the heads up on that.

That thing is cool on a stick.

myksara

Wow! Some really cool toys that I never knew of! Impressed with the EHX superego+. Bill Rupert has  a fantastic demo on youtube for this!

Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2