Help on choosing a looper for use with band

Started by shopstartuk, December 18, 2012, 02:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiretoy

I'm both a drummer and a guitarist.

I've worked with other musicians trying to pull off loops in the middle of songs. Live, they're so distracted by the audience, they'll never get the in/out points right. Vocalists are the worst.

And the other musicians won't be able to hear it with all the noise, especially drummers. Unless they've got great in-ear monitors with zero lag. But then there's still no accounting for one musicians dodgy sense of timing vs everyone else's dodgy sense of timing.

Even if everyone has the same in ear metronome, it's still incredibly awkward.

mooncaine

It looks like more options just opened up on the Aeros Loop Studio device. A software update announced recently enables a pretty long list of MIDI commands. I haven't tried it yet.

aliensporebomb

That aeros loop studio looks pretty darned cool.  Do I need another looper?  :-)
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

plexified

The Areos appears to be packed. I would be interested in how users are controlling it.

Here is another option I came across. Its open source and gaining alot of expansion.
Its software so perhaps those running on live pc power would find it interesting, I sure did.

https://www.giadamusic.com/

kenact

Regarding Midi sync, I'm wondering if anyone here has used a looper in a group where the drummer is playing electronic drums, and whether or not, the electronic drums can be used as the Midi sync master?
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

plexified

Yeah thats a great question. My neighbor was playing Roland V Drums before I was V Guitar and when we met he asked me if I knew anything about MIDI. That planted the seed for me. Now several years later we trade control of the 'clock' via MIDI. Its a blast.

I started looping for solo performance and it became extensive with the GR-55 and Boss RC-505. I began to bring it over to jams with his V Drum Kit. Initially I put my BPM control on an expression pedal and synched all my delay effects, reverb and modulation. i use a full pedal range with limited BPM parameters and it allows me to change the feel.

So we work with this both ways. If he has the 'MIDI Clock', he follows me and speeds up or slows down with the vibe or as you would in a normal band communication. Not James Brown Communication, normal looks and  nods  ;D

When I have the clock it controls his parameters on his effects and or a click if he wants it.

Its ALOT of fun and in particular on the Hendrix/Trower Jams with the Uni Vibe and modulation its really fun. All my Looped Tracks will also speed and slow based on the BPM also.

Anybody that uses a Looper I would highly suggest this technique. I absolutely hate perfect production and perfect timing, I don't play that way, I breathe, Alot as a player and thats what I'm into.

Its also natural when he counts in a song, I use that to set my tap tempo.

So we've come a long way from, " Do you know anything about MIDI ? "