Back to the future? - GK-3 pickup

Started by lespauled, May 02, 2017, 07:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespauled

In some of my previous posts, I have been critical of the fragility of the RMC pickups.  I own a Godin LGX-SA AA that is absolutely beautiful, and plays like butter.  The guitar is first rate, a great guitar.  My ONLY problem with the guitar is the RMC pickups.  This started with the problems with my LGXT that had a dead RMC pickup under the 6th string.  I went through the steps that Godin customer service sent me, to no avail.   I contacted RMC, and was told that I can't replace a single pickup, because it was about 5 years old, and they all have to be replaced because they'll all be dying soon, and I should replace them all, save the old ones, for when the new saddles start to die.  At that point, my jaw dropped.  I'm paying $1500+ for a guitar with parts that are expected to last 5 years?  Seriously?

I sold that guitar, with full disclosure to the seller.  Since that day, I have been skeptical of my LGX-SA, wondering when it's going to go south, like the LGXT.  As a backup, I bought a GK-3 pickup for when (not if) this guitar stops working with my GR unit.

As much as I love the LGX-SA, and it is still in absolutely mint condition, I am actually considering selling it.  The thing is still under warranty, but I'm just so turned off by the fragility of the RMC pickups.  The guitar has never left my house, and one of the saddles started putting out a lower volume, which was resolved by using alcohol on and around the saddle.

I am now considering going back to the future, with a GK pickup on one of my strats, but I can't believe I'm actually thinking about that.  From a playing standpoint, I would hate to see the LGX-SA go, but from an RMC standpoint, I want it out of here.

Am I losing my mind?