GP-10- Anyone else unable to install Tone Studio? ( Adobe AIR Runtime)

Started by Will Robinson, February 12, 2015, 04:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Robinson

I cant get it to install because at the end of the process, after it installs Tone Studio it installs Adobe AIR as a part of the installation which all seems to go well but then upon launch it doesnt do anything except pop up a warning box saying that 'a different version of AdobeAIR is needed.

Initially after trying this I couldnt uninstall AdobeAIR. Checking in Control Panel/Programs etc after using windows uninstaller it showed it still there and, popping up a warning that different version of Adobe AIR is needed to uninstall it! F#@$!!!
So now I've tried system Restore to a point before trying the first install, numerous registry cleaners and installer cleaners etc. and that appears to clear out the remnants of the install but a new attempt gives the same results...

I've also tried cleaning it all out and installing the stand alone copy of AdobeAIR first but no joy. It says AdobeAIR installed correctly but ToneStudio gives the pop up that a different version of AdobeAIR is needed...

I'm amazed at how much I'm liking the GP-10 but I'm not happy about being unable to edit the machine with a computer,

Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks. Windows 7 Home Premium is the os.

Elantric

Boss Tone Studio for Windows uses Adobe AIR Runtime

Here is download URL for Older versions of Adobe AIR Runtime here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html

(IMHO Relying on Adobe AIR for app development was mistake by Roland - for precisely the reasons you are currently experiencing  - at least you are not prompted by Adobe to pay a monthly  subscription for Adobe AIR  - yet ! )

Will Robinson

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it still gives the same message: "This application requires a version of Adobe AIR that can't be found" and installing the newer one doesn't help either.

I'll keep digging into, follow up the other links you posted etc. but I'm lost.
I was able to install it fine on my daughters laptop but I need it on my computer.

supernicd

I would also try going into the control panel, programs and features, and uninstalling Adobe AIR completely.  Then reinstall it.  Might help.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

supernicd

Quote from: Elantric on February 12, 2015, 04:45:24 PM
(IMHO Relying on Adobe AIR for app development was mistake by Roland - for precisely the reasons you are currently experiencing  - at least you are not prompted by Adobe to pay a monthly  subscription for Adobe AIR  - yet ! )

I find that it is more sluggish than it neds to be too.  E.g. switching between Library and Editor tabs.  When using a touch screen and twisting a knob, they don't react quite immeidately.  Not a huge deal, I guess.  But it could be better.  Gumtown's floorboard for GR-55 and the VG-99 PC editor don't have this issue.  I assume that's caused by having it coded in AIR vs. something that compiles...
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Will Robinson

Quote from:  corpalum
If it ask for a version you already have, then perhaps it is a problem into a log file.

A friend of mine solved a similar problem following step by step the guide from Adobe, deleting all log files and using the Microsoft program called Fix.
Worth a try or have you already tested it?

https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/troubleshoot-air-installation-windows.html

I'll look for the Fix program, thanks.

Will Robinson

Quote from: SuperNiCd on February 13, 2015, 04:12:03 AM
I would also try going into the control panel, programs and features, and uninstalling Adobe AIR completely.  Then reinstall it.  Might help.

I've tried that dozens of times. It always says: "This application requires a version of Adobe AIR that can't be found" when you click on the uninstall button.
I have successfully used Revo and CCleaner to uninstall it but that doesnt help either because trying to install the program just results in the same warning: "This application requires a version of Adobe AIR that can't be found" once you finish and try to start up ToneStudio.

Elantric

This application requires a version of Adobe AIR which can not be found
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1209430

1. Re: This application requires a version of Adobe AIR which can not be found
chris.campbell Employee Hostschris.campbell May 10, 2013 4:18 PM (in response to fede330)
I'm sorry you're running into installation issues with AIR.  Microsoft has released a utility that can help resolve installation problems.  Would you mind giving this a try and let us know how it works for you?  When running the Fix it, go through the uninstall process and try to remove Adobe AIR from your system.  Once finished, download the latest version of AIR and install again.

Microsoft Install and Uninstall Fix It
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/en-us

Another alternative is to create a new, temporary user account and install AIR from there.  Once installed, go back to your normal account and try running your AIR app again.

Will Robinson

Thanks Elantric, I appreciate the effort. Unfortunately I've been searching all over the Google-verse and have tried those fixes to no avail.

I'm very close to buying a Mac Mini right now (not just for this issue) and moving my music based computing to that machine. It seems my Windows machine will need to be wiped and the OS reinstalled. I'm not sure I want to go through all that grief right now over this one issue but having a Mac to explore is now more tempting than ever...

Elantric

QuoteThanks Elantric, I appreciate the effort. Unfortunately I've been searching all over the Google-verse and have tried those fixes to no avail.

http://www.rolandus.com/company/contact_us

Roland Corporation U.S.
5100 S. Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040-2938
Customer Service Tel: (323) 890-3700

OBB

I'm also on 7 Home Premium as well. The first few times I tried to install BTS I had your exact same dilemma, I would get the identical message and it would prompt me to install air but the button to do so in the Adobe pop-up would always be greyed out... couldn't click it, or close it, it just hung there. Only way I could close it all was via ctrl/alt/del, end process. After more than quite a few attempts I chalked it up to my ancient machine so I put it on the back-burner...

A few weeks later I really wanted BTS up & running and for no good explanation other than maybe I had forgotten to install the entire program from the ground up by using right click/"run as Administrator" option (which is how I usually install anything & everything) it finally decided to install correctly in one shot...

Not exactly sure if it was in the first failed attempts and possibly forgetting to first right click & "run as administrator" (but could have sworn I was) or if possibly my machine brought down a windows update, and if it was an update I couldn't even guess at which one, that maybe finally let it go through...

So if you haven't tried the BTS installation from the ground up using the "run as administrator" options/privileges it's worth a shot and if it still doesn't work for you then at least you have another avenue to cross of the list...

Will Robinson

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck trying that method.
I ended up buying the Mac Mini and have been using it for ToneStudio as well as most of my music related endeavors.
The only downside to that is I discovered my usb audio interface isn't supported any longer so no drivers for it! It is a Tascam M-164uf in case anyone else is looking at one, don't do it, it has been abandoned
So thanks Tascam! I'll be buying a new interface from one of their competitors...

Loving the GP-10 and ToneStudio though! It is so nice to be able to quickly create tracks with bass, synth, acoustic, altered tunings, etc. Even if I never use the amp modeling this GP-10 is way worth the price of admission.

Elantric

Just wanted to update this thread.

I recently put together a small  mobile rig with GP-10, EV-5, RavPower 9VDC battery pack,

and Acer R7 15" Touchscreen Windows 8.1 (64 Bit) laptop.

Runs Boss Tone Studio for GP-10 just fine.

But I read and followed the Roland "Read Me" Installation Instructions, and knew the importance of working slowly , and knew I must have a live Internet connection during the BST installation and patience for waiting a minute middle of installation for the Adobe Air to install.  Almost believed system was "hung" and I was seconds away from CTL+Alt+Delete and rebooting, when suddenly I saw the pop up message for "Adobe Air Installing"  and waited another minute for the Air download. Took three minutes of waiting for the spinning ball , then after a reboot all is working well for me.

Highly recommend the Acer R7 for live touch editing of GP-10 using Boss Tone Studio

But lesson learned , be patient and have a working high speed internet connection during the Boss Tone Studio Installation, as it takes several minutes to install.

dafonk

Hi,

anyone found a solution for the Adobe AIR problem ? (Error 0)
Thank you.

Kevin M

Quote from: dafonk on May 25, 2015, 03:47:57 PM
Hi,

anyone found a solution for the Adobe AIR problem ? (Error 0)
Thank you.

Under Windows?  If so, did you try installing as Administrator (right-click, run as administrator).

dafonk

I use Windows 7 64 bit, I ran it as Administrator. Not Working ;(

dafonk

roachone

Quote from: dafonk on May 26, 2015, 02:39:52 PM
I found a solution :
Repairing Windows with this. Now, Tone Studio is installed.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/tweaking_com_windows_repair,1.html
Dafonk!!!!! I have been trying to fix this problem for almost 2 months! THIS WORKED!!!!! Thank you so much for this.  :o

admin

Anything more specific regarding details on the Fix ?

I assume it revolved around Adobe AIR?

Kevin M

The link above appears to be for a tool for fixing Windows registry problems.

gumtown

The Windows fix-it tool seems to repair many things,
checks system files are the right revision,
fixes disk file permissions,
registry problems,
and more,
the default checker settings does 37 different tests/checks.

It found many issues with my system.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

roachone

I had tried the windows fix it program, it didn't help mine. When I tried this one (it took quite a while for the program to finish) it fixed it. Yes, this is a tool for fixing Windows registry, and my computer is running better than ever. Glad DAFONK posted this.

Elantric

* Install Adobe AIR - FRIST - then install Boss Tone Studio

Due to stale SSL certificates with older BTS installs  - , always Get latest version of Adobe AIR  here
https://get.adobe.com/air/
Windows 7, 8, 8,1, 10 , Download the Adobe AIR file "AdobeAIRInstaller.exe" and locate it - then "right click" and choose "Run as Administrator"

jim-analog

Greetings,

I realize this is an older post, but thought it important to comment. I attempted to use the "solution" at the link below and though it *seemed* to work with my issue, it also caused problems that have taken weeks to resolve. First, it changed most all (dozen or so) of my program default settings back to the Microsoft factory rather than the 3rd party programs I'v used for years (example, web browser from Chrome to Edge).

It re-installed a bunch of garbage programs/utilities I had deleted when I first got the computer, and worst of all any time the computer was rebooted it tried to force an install of some other "repair/optimize" program. I had to use MalwareBytes to finally remove the last traces of it that I couldn't find. I know I'm forgetting some of the other changes it made. I did get it from the same
majorgeeks page; perhaps since first posted it was altered, I really don't know. Just a warning in case you need to try something.

Regards, Jim

Quote from: dafonk on May 26, 2015, 02:39:52 PM
I found a solution :
Repairing Windows with this. Now, Tone Studio is installed.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/tweaking_com_windows_repair,1.html

admin

Adobe sold Adobe AIR to Harman

Get the AIR Runtime version for your older ( pre 2019) Boss Tone Studio app here
https://airsdk.harman.com/runtime