vg99 - audiointerface - computer and back

Started by choosername, September 30, 2010, 05:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choosername

hey,
im a new user of the vg99 and i could not find an answer to my biggest problem yet.
i use midi to guitar to send a signal to my computer. there i use vst plugins to create
my sounds and i need these sounds to go back into the vg99 so i can modulate them
live with d-beam and ribbon control and i really need to CHANGE between different
sounds as fast as possible.
can anyone tell me how to do this? is it possible?
thanks

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group choosername!  :)

The VG-99's D BEAM and RIBBON can only effect the sound created by your guitar. Sorry!

The FC-300 is the best way to control external MIDI and switch patches.

This thread covers just about all the problems you can have with MIDI, it is long but there is a lot of useful info there.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=915.0

Macciza

Quote from: Brent Flash on September 30, 2010, 07:22:38 AM
snip
The VG-99's D BEAM and RIBBON can only effect the sound created by your guitar. Sorry!
The FC-300 is the best way to control external MIDI and switch patches.
snip

Sorry, gladly, but what he wants is actually quite achievable.
The Ribbon and Beam can be set to transmit CC's in a number of different spots; System, GtM . .
And then you would map these to FX pars in the software.
Or you can create sound in channel A output it to your computer , take the return in (only mono) and map the Ribbon/Beam to parameters on Channel B. And a few variations on this theme as well . . .

For changing between sounds - you can either do it as fast as Rolandible ( which is basically a full sysex message) or construct your patches to give you all the sounds you need in one patch - which can get complex, but you shouuld be able to get 4 different sounds  fairly easily that will change between almost instantly .. .

Hope that all make sense and is of some help . . .

Cheers
Macciza

PS Got a new Mac and net access so should be contributing a bit more now . .
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

Brent Flash

Quote from: Macciza on September 30, 2010, 11:52:40 PM
Sorry, gladly, but what he wants is actually quite achievable.
The Ribbon and Beam can be set to transmit CC's in a number of different spots; System, GtM . .
And then you would map these to FX pars in the software.
Or you can create sound in channel A output it to your computer , take the return in (only mono) and map the Ribbon/Beam to parameters on Channel B. And a few variations on this theme as well . . .

For changing between sounds - you can either do it as fast as Rolandible ( which is basically a full sysex message) or construct your patches to give you all the sounds you need in one patch - which can get complex, but you shouuld be able to get 4 different sounds  fairly easily that will change between almost instantly .. .
You are absolutely right Macciza but the only place you can assign CC# to the RIBBON and D BEAM is in the GUITAR TO MIDI section. I looked to see but failed to look there, I just looked at all the other CTL settings. Good find!
And I guess you could use the GUITAR IN to get the sound back into the VG-99 but that would not do you much good because a lot of the neat stuff you can do with D BEAM and RIBBON only works through the HEX input.
So if you are wanting to send the VG signal into your computer, run it through effects and back to the VG-99 to say pitch bend with the D BEAM, the answer is still "Sorry, it will not do it!"
If you are wanting to play MIDI sounds out of your computer you can control those sounds with the D BEAM and RIBBON controllers with CC# data being sent to the computer through MIDI.
Hope this clears it up for you.

Macciza

Hi Brent, Sorry, to repeat but 'Sorry but it will do it . .'
There is also the MIDI/TX CC in the System menu = I use it to set Exp1 as Breath Controller CC2, and ExpSw1 sends 95 which I remap to various parameters like fixed growl or scream for Saxs in the VL. As well as using the GTM assigns for variable growl from the ribbon.                                          
For DBeam pitch bend you would have to use the ModFX pitchshift or Pedal Bend - which are certainly not as versatile or as nice as the AltTuning options. You can also control lots of the FX pars with it as well.
The CC data sent to the computer could also control audio fx not just midi sounds so you could always shift or bend there as well, and with a breakout box or StringPort you get back to the sort of control you have in the VG because each string is on a seperate channel.
Have not been on the list much till recently due to lack of computer and time, but I'm pretty good at what the VG is able to do, ( been jotting down lots of notes and ideas to work on) though like most people there is plenty still to learn and apply, Actually found some little hidden gems this evening that I will have to work out a practical application for that should give some interesting results / options, more on that later.
Cheers
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

Brent Flash

Quote from: Macciza on October 01, 2010, 07:27:11 AM
Hi Brent, Sorry, to repeat but 'Sorry but it will do it . .'
There is also the MIDI/TX CC in the System menu = I use it to set Exp1 as Breath Controller CC2, and ExpSw1 sends 95 which I remap to various parameters like fixed growl or scream for Saxs in the VL. As well as using the GTM assigns for variable growl from the ribbon.      
Right again, I must be blind, but I don't think that is what he is wanting to do anyway.

Macciza

Quote from: Brent Flash on October 01, 2010, 07:31:09 AM
Right again, I must be blind, but I don't think that is what he is wanting to do anyway.
Will wait to see his response to our ramblings  Care for a quick VGChat? I'm online . .

Vic1iful

Damn! Learn something new all the time. You guys are awesome.

musicman65

I love this board...now I have to go work on getting some growl in my sax patches.Thanks guys!

Macciza

Quote from: musicman65 on October 07, 2010, 06:38:00 AM
I love this board...now I have to go work on getting some growl in my sax patches.Thanks guys!

Cool
I get plenty of growl out of my VL70 using combinations of exp pedals and switches straight from VG/FC . . .
Good to know someone else into growly saxotars as well . .
Cheers

OverTorque

Hi there guys....

Just reading through this thread, it sounds like one of you might be able to help me.  I am trying to use the D beam of my VG99 with my V-synth XT module (which does not have a D beam).  The V-synth GT keyboard has a D beam and the V-synth XT manual states its patches can use the D beam of the GT.  I'm trying to do this with my VG99 instead.  Any ideas on how to go about setting this up?

Macciza

Hi
Not at my setup at the moment but from memory you can set DBeam H and DBeam V to send MIDI Control Change (CC) messages - then match those CC's to whatever synth control you want . . . .