GP-10 pedal steel attempt!

Started by Frankster, March 15, 2015, 03:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankster

Been experimenting with pedal steel effects this morning, this is tuned GBDGBD with the pedal bending to ACEACE, I suppose that's a dobro tuning with a bend to a minor chord. Makes for some interesting effects but I'm out of practice with a slide and I really should have had the guitar down flat on a table. Anyway, it's a partial success. Work in progress, I really should use a separate expression pedal for the bends and do foot volume swells on the main pedal. If it gets anywhere near workable I might write a country tune just to show it off.

https://soundcloud.com/gilgafrank/pedal-steel-test-1/s-eGZZj

Vade

Pretty workable though. I like where you're heading with this.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Frankster

Get ready to cry into your beer, here's some more pedal steel GP-10 style ...

https://soundcloud.com/gilgafrank/very-beautiful-and-very-dead

whippinpost91850

Majiken

Me likes, well done  :D! Nice tone, too- care to share your patch, please?
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Frankster

Patch as requested, note that this uses Exp2 for the bending so you'll probably need to reassign that if you don't have an external exp pedal. I've also programmed it with a pickup change on Ctl1, just experimenting really but I may use that in future patches.

Majiken

Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

strayhorse45

Very excited about this idea! Thank you Frankster. Have a 13 pin pickup on a lap steel. Will be trying this today! :D

Frankster

While I was recording this I was wondering why Roland haven't developed a GK pedal steel with multiple assignable pitch shift pedals. Every steel player in Nashville would be chasing one of those!

Elantric

QuoteWhile I was recording this I was wondering why Roland haven't developed a GK pedal steel with multiple assignable pitch shift pedals. Every steel player in Nashville would be chasing one of those!

If you play with any instrument with DSP alt tuning, you quickly realize the sustain is less compared to a ringing acoustically coupled feedback loop with a natural pitch string.

Sustain is less with DSP alt tuning -and many steel players rely on long sustain  -so there is a conflict   

Frankster

Good point about the sustain. I also find the tiny GK humbuckers make it very difficult to do artificial harmonics, another big part of pedal steel playing.

But for me, this kind of application is where the GP-10 excels. It allows me to experiment with pedal steel, baritone, electric 12-string and a dozen other tuning variations without buying a new guitar every time I want to try something different. That alone justifies the price - I'll never be a pedal steel virtuoso so why risk the money on one just for a couple of songs?

spyrl

What a fun patch! And price is right too! Thanks for many fun times goofing with this to come ;D

aliensporebomb

You can "kind of" combat the sustain problem with loud acoustic volume in the amp as your guitar starts to react. 

Nice demo!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

alexmcginness

I like it!!!!! Ill be porting this over to my VG 99 as well. Thanks.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Smash

Pretty sure there already is an excellent pedal steel already in the patches with two different pedals on the fc300.

Can't remember who made it but it's very authentic

Edit: it was Brent Flash