GP-10 vs VG-99 - Strat Classic -> MS1959 comparison.

Started by rolandvg99, January 06, 2015, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteThe old pneumatic church organs can have a latency around a second
They're still playable for some people

Similar occurs when playing one of these as well.

mooncaine

"Just be aware that combining two audio signals in that manner may introduce phase errors with resulting gaps in your frequency bandwidth

Although combining two audio streams , where only one has higher latency is a huge part in achieving a "mic in the room" guitar tone"

I notice the phase difference when I use CHAIN DELAY, especially on 2 similar A/B channel sounds on the VG-99. I have to set it pretty high to avoid what I call "the chewies" that you can especially hear when bending strings.

But the latency of 1 or 2 ms isn't noticeable to me on a single unmixed sound, when playing. By the time you get to 11 or 13 ms. it starts to feel wrong (to me). That kills the joy of Ableton Live for me, because I can't get low latency reliably. After some unspecified time, the Mac will make a fuzzy digital burp sound, and after that, all the incoming VG-99 signal is suddenly much higher latency. I have to quit/restart Ableton Live. Adjusting its prefs doesn't fix it. Only restart.

One thing I haven't figured out on my GT1 is how to make it sound warm and room-ish like the speaker cab/mic sims on the VG-99. What I've made so far on GT1 is either way too brittle and crispy, or just sounds like I EQ'd the treble out.

OK, the Department of Works just got home. Gotta go mop the floors.

mccorp

Rolandvg99: Thanks for this clever comparison. I agree that the VG-99 sound is muddier. They are both convincing nonetheless, as is your playing demo.
Sometimes you have to let go of the melody and focus on the rhythm

alexmcginness

Quote from: mccorp on July 31, 2017, 06:35:36 AM
Rolandvg99: Thanks for this clever comparison. I agree that the VG-99 sound is muddier. They are both convincing nonetheless, as is your playing demo.

The amount of "mud" the VG99 adds compared to the GP-10 can be easily compensated for by recording both into a stereo file, seperating the file into two mono ones and importing them into Har-Bal.
  You will be able to see right away where the 99s response varies from the GP-10 and apply the proper eq adjustment in the 99 to correct the mud.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

mccorp

Sometimes you have to let go of the melody and focus on the rhythm