Hologram Electronics - Infinite Jets

Started by lumena, May 26, 2017, 12:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumena

Well since I broke down today and did the preorder almost without guilt I wanted to share something that really could add a a lot to an ambient set. My sy-300 is lonely and needed a friend.
There have been lots of glitch and sampling things out but somehow I never got around to actually getting one. After seeing this demo, I bit.
Ok no more preamble.

admin

https://hologramelectronics.com/shop/
A SUITE OF EXPRESSIVE EFFECTS TO TRANSFORM YOUR INSTRUMENT IN NEW AND EXCITING WAYS.
Infinite Jets tracks the dynamics of your playing, samples individual notes and chords, and then reinterprets them as new sounds using two independent channels of infinite sustain. It offers 4 separate sampling effects in one: Blur, Synth, Glitch, and Swell.

Create lush ambient textures that seamlessly fade from one chord to the next, infinite sustain, glitching granular loops, filtered synthesizer sounds, violin-like fuzz and swell effects, drones, distorted delay and vibrato, and much more.

FEATURE OVERVIEW
Two independent channels of sampling, allowing for infinite sustain of two different notes or chords at a time
Samplers can be triggered automatically by note attack or in manual mode via footswitch
4 separate effect styles (Blur, Synth, Glitch, and Swell)
10 preset variations
2 User Save slots
Envelope Shape control, for changing the attack and decay characteristics of sampled notes
Dimension control, for manipulating parameters unique to each effect style
Record and Save Knob Movements
Internal LFO and Envelope Generators for control of Dimension and sampling channel volume
Digitally-Controlled-Analog Drive, Tone, and Dry Mix controls
Analog Dry Path
Expression Pedal Input, mappable to many controls
True Bypass Switching (electromechanical relay)
RESOURCES
User Manual [PDF]
Videos

https://hologramelectronics.com/user_manual/Infinite_Jets_User_Manual.pdf

imerkat

Quote from: lumena on May 26, 2017, 12:55:52 PM
Well since I broke down today and did the preorder almost without guilt...

oh God, I laughed too hard at this, been there brother.

Elantric

I find i prefer the sound and feature set of the Hologram Electronics Dream Sequence  (MIDI I/O)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21045.msg151384#msg151384

aliensporebomb

Really cool - I just wish it was stereo!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Smash

Quote from: lumena on May 26, 2017, 12:55:52 PM
Well since I broke down today and did the preorder almost without guilt I wanted to share something that really could add a a lot to an ambient set. My sy-300 is lonely and needed a friend.
There have been lots of glitch and sampling things out but somehow I never got around to actually getting one. After seeing this demo, I bit.
Ok no more preamble.

Wow that is quite an amazing demo - it's like a soundtrack just listening to the demo. Incredible piece of tech

Rhcole

I've been looking for a grain or sample manipulator that can make sounds and textures that are not automatically jarring and bizarre. Perhaps this is it?

chrish

"PRE-ORDER FOR INFINITE JETS BATCH #2 HAS SOLD OUT
The second batch of 150 Infinite Jets pedals has sold out, but not to worry! We'll be back with more soon. Make sure to join our email list if you'd like to receive an alert when we release a new batch."

lumena

chrish

Quote from: lumena on May 26, 2017, 08:01:32 PM
That was fast...
Less than 24hrs.
they may be on batch number 3 of the pre-order because I was able to put one into my cart and it says in stock. I didn't buy it, I just wanted to see if they have them in  because of my previous post.

very impressive that they sold 300 already on a pre-order assuming each batch is 150 units.

I'm going to wait till you guys do the beta testing. ;D

"ORDERING FOR INFINITE JETS WILL OPEN AGAIN TODAY AT 12PM NOON EST!
Today (Friday, May 26th) we'll be opening up another round of orders for our new pedal, the Infinite Jets Resynthesizer at 12PM Noon EST. Pedals will ship within 4-6 weeks. Be sure to join the email list to receive a notification when they are available!"

vanceg

Quote from: Smash on May 26, 2017, 02:44:25 PM
Wow that is quite an amazing demo - it's like a soundtrack just listening to the demo. Incredible piece of tech

Oh well holy poop... I must have 12 Max/MSP algorithms I've spent many hundreds of hours programming through the last 18 years that try to do some of the things this box does....and it does most of them better. 
Dang.  Thats great.

lumena

Had it for about a week.
not really that good, almost everything that it does/did I could do better with the sy300.
It moved out today and can't say I will miss it. Like a lover that you are glad to see go.

YMMV

L>

Rhcole

Gee, that was fast... ::)
It LOOKED like it could manipulate samples and freeze them in ways that the SY-300 can't do. But not all of them seemed very pleasing to me.
The SY-300 is the underestimated monster on this board, IMHO.

The Mel9 and Synth9 add-ons for the SY are hanging tough on my board. So far they are the best companions I've found for it.

lumena

Rhcole

The Mel9 and Synth9 together cost about what the IJ costs (did you get your $$ back?). Run the S9 in serial into the Mel9. Take the dry out of the S9 into the SY return jack and the M9 out into the SY input.

You will be amazed.

admin

https://reverb.com/news/video-hologram-electronics-infinite-jets-resynthesizer-demo
For a certain class of adventurous noisemakers, Hologram Electronics of Knoxville, Tenn., ranks as one of the most exciting pedal firms on today's boutique scene. Kicking things off in 2015, designers Jason Campbell and Ryan Schaefer (who plays in the band Royal Bangs) release pedals in extremely limited batches, and there are times when used specimens that crop up on Reverb sell at prices higher than new, reflecting a premium paid to skip to the front of the backorder line.

First came the Dream Sequence, a digital sequencer that packs dozens of different sequencing and other synth-based functions and effects in a totally fresh way. The follow-up, the Infinite Jets Resynthesizer, offers a similarly unprecedented sound palette, but focuses on sampling rather than the sequencing explored in the first release.

At root, the Infinite Jets takes your source sound and resamples it via Blur, Synth, Glitch, or Swell effect settings. There are actually two distinct sampling channels, meaning that you can sample, sustain, and augment two different notes or chords at the same time.

The four base effect settings are highly tweakable via internal LFO and envelope generators, which can control various parameters. There are also onboard and user presets, an independent drive channel, and multiple ways to trigger the sampling, either automatically or via footswitch.

It's a lot to try to define and wrap your brain around, but as fans of Hologram will tell you, that inventive open-endedness lies at the core of what makes these cutting edge pedals so popular.

BROCKSTAR

I'm looking into getting one of these within the month to pair with my line 6 helix and sy-300 :] I don't think the infinite jets is comparable to either one. I don't think the helix or sy-300 can do much of anything that the infinite jets can because it's totally a different type of tool and this is just me from reading and listening to all the videos. I love my helix and sy-300 and they do what they do well, but this jets machine is on a different planet tone and visual wise and more and I'm excited to have it come to my house and meet helix and sy-300.

p.s: sorry for bumping old thread lol

BROCKSTAR

So I am super excited :] pulled the trigger on the infinite jets last night! Should be here this Saturday hopefully. I cannot wait to try it and experiment with it and pair it up with my boss sy-300 and line 6 helix.

chrish

^^Please post a review of this pedal. Sounds like an interesting concept but wondering if its infinitely adjustable.

Smash

Quote from: lumena on June 21, 2017, 03:49:42 PM
Had it for about a week.
not really that good, almost everything that it does/did I could do better with the sy300.
It moved out today and can't say I will miss it. Like a lover that you are glad to see go.

YMMV

L>

Looking forward to that vid

chrish

For folks who are into eurorack, there is a module called Clouds by mutable instruments that does  sample resynthesis simular to what the Infinite Jets pedal does.

While that module has been discontinued by mutable instruments, it's still available as a clone by several different builders.  it appears that mutable instruments releases its designs for open source work including panel layout.

I'm guessing that this pedal was based on that MI Clouds open source design.

I just purchased one of these clone cloud modules and it when used in conjunction with other modular CV sources, such a  LFOs and envelope generators, it's very versatile.

The module that I purchased was also loaded with a program called "Parasite" which adds features in addition to the original Factory software.

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/clouds/manual/

"Clouds is a granular audio processor. It creates textures and soundscapes by combining multiple overlapping, delayed, transposed and enveloped segments of sound taken from an audio recording buffer."

Parasite:

https://mqtthiqs.github.io/parasites/clouds.html

"Clouds Parasite is an alternative firmware for Clouds. It adds the following main features to the module:
The Oliverb, a new, full-featured creative reverb mode based on the reverb of the original firmware (itself based on a description of the Lexicon 480L), and inspired in design by the Erbe Verb, with CV control over all parameters. It is largely modeless, probably unrealistic and goes far beyond your traditional reverb;
Resonestor, a polyphonic resonator processor with built-in support for your beloved Karplus-Strong synthesis. Plucked or fed with your favorite sound, it spits out strange guitar sounds, lush chords, evolving drones, and more.
More envelopes for your grains: the Texture knob allows to select ramp down or ramp up-shaped grains. Square-shaped grains have steeper edges for extra glitch;
Availability of much smaller grains compared to the official firmware, and asymmetrical grain envelopes (saws, ramps).
Enhanced looping delay and time stretcher modes: tempo syncing with clock multiplier/divisor, support for stereo delay (ping-pong delay) and (crude) open feedback loop, much improved sound quality, faster delay time change.
The four original modes, including the granular of the official firmware are still present, but have been tweaked/extended to my preference."

https://reverb.com/item/14066687-mutable-instruments-clouds-clone-granular-synthesizer-eurorack-module-new-black-gold-build?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9L609dil4gIV-BitBh3VfwLlEAQYAiABEgJ5Q_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

This clone has a plastic panel,  whereas the aluminum panels are about $20 more.

I should add that only one mode can be used at a time.  however the resynthesis mode does contain it's own reverb,  just not as extensive as the Parasite mode Reverb, which is actually quite good.

chrish

Further interweb surfing reveals that Tomkat pedals has made a guitar pedal version of Clouds. Currently sold out and at $385 plus need for cv in source I'll stick with the eurorack clone at $175 since already setup with euro Rack power supply, modulators, rack, etc.

https://tomkatpedals.com/products/cloudy

"Cloudy is a guitar pedal adaptation of the Eurorack Module "Clouds" by Mutable Instruments. It's based on the "Parasites" alternative firmware which has 6 different digital programs including granular synthesis, pitch shifting, delay, reverb, filters, and resonators."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DZb8v3gK7MVw&ved=2ahUKEwjCnenahKjiAhXaHzQIHX0SCLkQwqsBMAF6BAgGEAU&usg=AOvVaw0VBoW8L0TcTMU_hi-w4rBL&cshid=1558284613934

chrish

Clouds tips and tricks.

https://rabidelephant.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/MD/pages/22708251/Mutable+Instruments+Clouds+Guide

This is one fun module and I've only scratched the surface. It does a nice rhythmic variable delayed arpeggio type thing. It mixes up the notes you just played on the guitar and can play them back with different note timing and pitched up. Comes alive with cv modulation.

No wonder it became a  cult classic among the modular crowd.

Makes me want to demo the infinite jets pedal.

chrish

https://www.factmag.com/2017/10/04/mutable-instruments-max-for-live-devices/

"Two of the most popular Eurorack modules are now available as free devices for Ableton Live's Max For Live add-on.

Clouds and Braids, two widely-used modules from Mutable Instruments, have been turned into Max For Live devices by developer Timo Rozendal, who used the freely available open-source code for the modules as a starting point."