VG-99 Importing patches to editor

Started by chrish, July 20, 2016, 09:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

I'm trying to import the patches that i've downloadd from the forum to the editor so that i may send them to the vg-99. I've followed all the setup advice offered on the forum and i'm able to import files from the vg99 to the editor. However, when i click 'import smf' i get access to the stored download patch files on my computer (windows 7) but opening that file does not import it to the editor.             I have the latest driver and editor, i've read the 'read me' and the manual, i'm using the editor because the advice here is not to use the librarian (which also didn't import downloaded files), using usb set to 'vg99 control' and the start up boot sequence is correct and working. This chump is stumped. :-) I must be missing a step. Any advice?

Elantric

Our shared VG-99 files are saved , and imported as SMF files with a   *.MID file extension name.

These VG-99 and VB-99 patch files are NOT MIDI files, but regardless many versions of Windows "hide" file extensions - I recommend you enable ability to see all file extensions in Windows7
  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/865219

These files do not "play" MIDI tunes in a media player.

Rather these  *.MID files are VG-99 and VB-99 patches in SMF format which must be used with the appropriate  Roland VG-99 or VB-99 Editor application to load into your target Roland Processor.read entire thread here

READ FIRST - VG-99 Patch Submission Format+How to SAVE and LOAD PATCHES!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0

chrish

Thanks Elantric. I had not seen that 'Read First' thread. My problem turned out to be, the vg-99 and vg-99 editor were both set to 17 as the 'device id' number. In that thread it says that the device id number needs to be set to 1 in order to use the patches in the forum vg-99 patch exchange. I did not know that the device number is somehow embedded in the patch data. My head is starting to explode with all of the knowledge and music inspiration that i've gained from all the members here. :-)

Brent Flash

Quote from: chrish on July 20, 2016, 12:36:03 PM
In that thread it says that the device id number needs to be set to 1 in order to use the patches in the forum vg-99 patch exchange. I did not know that the device number is somehow embedded in the patch data. My head is starting to explode with all of the knowledge and music inspiration that i've gained from all the members here. :-)

Device ID# was never used much unless you had more than one of the same device. If you had for example 3 VG-99s you could send SYSEX messages to each individualy by having them on different Device ID #s. So SYSEX is only recognized by the device with the same ID# that created it. Since VG-99s come from the factory defaulted to Device ID #1 it was decided that all patches would be created using Device ID #1. Make sense?

chrish

Yes, it's makes perfect sense now that i've been schooled. :-) Thanks. My understanding up to that point was that the device id was just set to the same number so that the two machines could simply communicate with each other. Now i know that it goes deeper into the data itself.