VGuitar Writer's Challenge Suggestions

Started by DreamTheory, April 28, 2015, 08:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrchevy

May as well make it easy to keep track of and start with bank 1 patch 1 in each category. I would like to amend the #2 requirement.

2.  It can be modified but must retain at least 1 of the original PCM tones -but that tone can be modified thru it's parameters.

as apposed to original:

2.  It can be modified but must retain at least 1 of the PCM tones in its original state.

This will allow for even more creative freedom. So the requirements would be as follows ......

The Challenge :
1.  The factory patch Must be used.
2.  It can be modified but must retain at least 1 of the original PCM tones -but that tone can be modified thru it's parameters.
3.  Drum/percussion tracks, if desired, may be used from any source (GR55, looper presets, EZDrummer or similar, a REAL drummer, etc.) In the recording.

MONTH OF_____________CATEGORY'S :

LEAD:      patch 01-1
RHYTHM: patch 01-1
OTHER:   patch 01-1
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

mbenigni

QuoteLEAD:      patch 01-1
RHYTHM: patch 01-1
OTHER:   patch 01-1

So you're just going to step through patches in the respective categories on a month by month basis?  This is going to get interesting.  :)

supernicd

You might convince me to pull my 55 out of its bag. :)

So you are just looking for demos/recordings?  My only suggestion would be to include posting the patch as part of the challenge too, so that it builds up the library here at VGF even more. 
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Mrchevy

I believe Dream Theory's thoughts were to create an MP3 of reasonable length ( 1-3 minutes) to demonstrate the created features of the patch in use. I would imagine a complete song/piece could be posted but i think posting an album length piece or something you might want to copyright, might be discouraged. ( if it ain't free to share or use, don't post it.) I think it was also suggested to post the patch file/w brief important use notes if desired.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

DreamTheory

OK we are nearing consensus. Before we posting the next challenge, please review this and see if it is missing anything essential:
SUBJECT    GR-55 - Writers Challenge: Preset Bank 1

The Challenge:

1.  One or more of the three factory preset patches must be used.

3.  Drum/percussion tracks, if desired, may be used from any source in the recording. Other instrumentation (such as bass part or synth pads) is also OK, but must be part of your patch modification (hint: use an assign to switch on the tone you need).

4. Please post a copyright free MP3. 3 1/2 minutes or less should be plenty.

MONTH OF JUNE 2015 CATEGORIES:
==========================
LEAD:     patch 01-1 Metal Synth Lead

RHYTHM: patch 01-1 12st AG & Ch Org

OTHER:   patch 01-1 Ultimate Pulse
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Mrchevy

RE: Other instrumentation.....Should this be restricted to being within the patch. For example, if you want to use a COSM bass, COSM guitar, Cosm guitar synth, or normal guitar, it must exist within the patch modifications, ASSIGNS, and CTL/EXP PEDAL settings to switch back and forth.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

DreamTheory

I see what you are getting at- the challenge really has to be about that patch. OK. It is pretty easy to add an assign as you indicate. Soo... once again, before we post this (and it could run for several years if we actually do all the banks one per month), here it is again. Any more last thoughts?

Actually I have a question- I am assuming it would not be unsportsmanlike to use a DAW. Or are people thinking we need to be able to do these all in one real time take (or with looper) like a live performance?

LOCATION  VGuitar Central / Writers Challenge >
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14972.msg106902;topicseen#msg106902
SUBJECT    GR-55 - Writers Challenge: Preset Bank 1

The Challenge:

1.  One or more of the three factory preset patches must be used.

3.  Drum/percussion tracks, if desired, may be used from any source in the recording. Other instrumentation (such as bass part or synth pads) is also OK, but must be part of your patch modification (hint: use an assign to switch on the tone you need).

4. Please post a copyright free MP3. 3 1/2 minutes or less should be plenty.

MONTH OF JUNE 2015 CATEGORIES:
==========================
LEAD:     patch 01-1 Metal Synth Lead

RHYTHM: patch 01-1 12st AG & Ch Org

OTHER:   patch 01-1 Ultimate Pulse
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Mrchevy

Quote from: Dream_Theory on May 11, 2015, 08:31:32 PM

Actually I have a question- I am assuming it would not be unsportsmanlike to use a DAW. Or are people thinking we need to be able to do these all in one real time take (or with looper) like a live performance?

I don't think it matters. Most would use some kind of DAW to record the patch and make an MP3. I think a note saying whether or not it was done in one take as a live performance, or constructed as a recording would be nice. That way if someone wanted to use the patch, they would have an idea if it could be used live. Even if it could be done live in one take, some would likely redo some parts just for the sake of a better recording. I guess it just depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. But I personally don't see a need to insert a requirement of how it is presented. Moderators, where are you all at, as to where this setup has progressed to. Anything to add to this, or change. I guess someone will need to moderate this or an active member sub-moderate this.

The only other clarification I might suggest is to modify #1 so it is understood to read as :  Members can submit recordings of any of the 3, or all 3, but keep submissions base on use of individual patches rather than using 2 or more together.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

DreamTheory

Oh look- the challenge is up on the board! Great!

DreamTheory

Well as predicted we are not getting submissions to the writer's challenge. So I am taking the liberty of not limiting it to GR-55. If people submit songs using other gear it may provide an interesting contrast to GR-55.

But what is interesting is that a trickle of people are viewing the postings, so perhaps there is still the potential to do some good here by posting what actual users have done with the sounds. So please post something you have created, and you will be viewed by a handful of like minded people. If you think about it that is one of the best audiences.

creart

Hey DreamTheory... I have been (and still am) just to busy and had totally forgotten about this... As soon as I can find the time I will do some songs for the different challenges - working my way back :-)
I still like the idea but time needs to be available huh?
cheers
Hans

DreamTheory

Maybe for 2016 the challenge can be revised. For a while it seemed like doing a song for every preset would be kind of cool, but I feel my interest shifting. A more categorically defined challenge would be more useful, like "flute month" or "let's hear your best string section."  Maybe go through the PCM tones section by section instead of the presets. Thoughts?

It seems that quite a few people check out the challenges, though very few submissions have come through so far. We could also forget the whole challenge thing and just post to the examples section. Well for now at least, the challenges will continue- what could be better than the interested appreciation of like minded V guitarists? OK, Don't answer that. I bet you guys (and gals) have archives with material you could post. Surely the bar has not been set very high, you guitar whizzes could raise the standard with your patch tests, doodles, leftovers, and incomplete ideas!

creart

It depends on what you want I guess... If it's a case of showcasing all sounds then the current 'quest' is ok... It's nice to show the capabilities of each sound and makes you use sounds you otherwise wouldn't...
If someone is to choose from a category, he/she will probably take a sound he/she likes best. But especially using a completely different sound makes you search for a pattern or melody that brings out the best from that sound.

Who knows why people don't put up something of themselves... Is it that they need an 'incentive'? Or are they unwilling/shy to portrait their playing abilities? Or just no time?
It is a shame though... having more ideas here can give everyone more 'feel' for what GR55's capabilities are.
So far I have interpreted the challenge as to use each sound mentioned - so make a complete 'song' with it. But doing something like that also depends on the recording options one may have..

Idea:
Maybe a challenge would also be to work together on tracks?
Get a list of people who would like to participate and then for instance each time pick 3 people to work on 1 track - each using one of the sounds picked for the challenge?
And maybe we could make a VGUITARCHALLENGE channel on for instance Reverbnation or SoundCloud to show off those tracks? Maybe getting one's name out like that could be more incentive???

just an idea...
cheers
Hans

Chrismiami

Read through all these and was surprised to see it's been dead since 2016! So here we go! Another zombie thread! 🧟

On the Scott's Bass Lessons Academy forum, the monthly challenge is a little simpler: given a backing track in genre X, create a bass line for it.

I wonder if there'd be interest in something similar here? I think having a track to start with is a great head start because it levels the playing field and all submissions have the same essential music.

Maybe I'll go ask if I can just steal their tracks and post them here each month.