GP-10 What's the best way for us to exchange patches?

Started by Rhcole, July 18, 2014, 10:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

I just installed Tone Central and haven't had time to explore all of the parameters. How will we exchange patches on this site? Will TC export a file or store in an online location?
I have a nice ePiano to share and a couple of other patches...

Elantric

we are using the Boss Tone Studio Librarian *.tsl file format.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11879.msg85883#msg85883

INSTRUCTIONS FOR BOSS TONE STUDIO for GP-10 (July 2014)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11879.0;attach=9641

Back up user data of GP-10
To back up the patch data of GP-10 into the library.
1. Click LIBRARIAN in the BOSS TONE STUDIO and LIBRARIAN screen appears.
2. Click Backup button at the top of the screen.
3. The message Back up the GP-10 user bank to the library appears, click OK.
4. The message Completed. appears when the backup finishes, click OK.
5. Backed up LiveSet will appear in the library.

To write patches to GP-10
1. Click the LIBRARIAN button to open the LIBRARIAN screen.
2. The list of LiveSets will be shown in the library.
3. Drag and drop the patch you would like to write to the GP-10 into the current patch list at the left of the screen e.g. to write into the Patch Number 10, drag and drop in the Patch Number10 area.
4. When the writing is completed, the patch name will appear in the area you dropped.
* If you drag and drop the patch, writing is executed automatically. It's impossible to undo it so advance back up is recommended.

To write whole LiveSet to GP-10
1. Click the LIBRARIAN button to open the LIBRARIAN screen.
2. Click to select the LiveSet you want to write to GP-10.
3. Click the Apply LiveSet button at the top of the screen.
4. The message Apply the selected live set to your GP-10 appears, click OK.
5. When the message Completed appears, click OK to finish.
* If you execute Apply LiveSet, data writing is executed automatically. It's impossible to undo it, so advance back up is recommended.@

To export patch data as a file
1. Click to select the LiveSet to Export
2. Click Export button at the top of the screen.
3. The dialogue box appears. Input a file name and destination folder and click Save.
4. When the message Completed. appears, click OK to finish.
* tsl file is created in the folder set.

To import backup patch data into the library
1. Click import and the dialogue box will appear.
2. Select the .tsl file you would like to import and click Open.
3. When the message Completed. appears, click OK to finish.

To create your original LiveSet
1. Click Create LiveSet button at the top of the screen and the message Completed. appears.
2. Click OK
3. Empty LiveSet named LiveSet is created.
4. Drag and drop the patches from the patch list of GP-10 at the left of the screen or the other LiveSets into the new LiveSet.
* Reordering of patches is enabled by drag and drop.

To delete LiveSets from the library
1. Select the LiveSet you wish to delete
2. Click Edit button that appears at the right of the LiveSet name.
3. Click X button appeared.
4. The message OK to delete the selected LiveSet? appears, click OK.

To use the library of BOSS TONE CENTRAL
Things possible in the TONE CENTRAL screen
* Adding the uploaded LiveSets to the library
* Try the sound of each patch
* Listen to the demo audio sample
* Watching the artist demo videos and comments

To open the TONE CENTRAL screen
* To use TONE CENTRAL an internet connection is required.
1. Click the TONE CENTRAL button at the left bottom of the screen.
2. The TONE CENTRAL library page will open.
3. To return to the EDITOR/LIBRARIAN screen, click the TONE CENTRAL button again, or click the EDITOR button or the LIBRARIAN button.

To add the LiveSet uploaded to the library
1. Click and select the LiveSet you would like to add.
2. Click ADD at the right bottom of the screen.
3. When the adding of the LiveSet is completed, the comment Completed will appear in 2 - 3 seconds around the LIBRARIAN button.
* It's only possible to add patches by LiveSets, not by single patches.

PLAY function
Click PLAY button at the bottom of the screen to open the PLAY screen.
Importing and playing WAV audio data is enabled, please ensure that your audio file is 44.1kHz,16-bit. Changing playing speed and pitch is also enabled.

To import
1. Click IMPORT button
2. Select the data to import and click open.
3. Imported data appears in the list.

To playback
1. Click the data you want to playback.
2. Play button will appear, click to start playback.
3. Click loop setting button to select the following loop play modes.
* Loop playback a single song repeatedly.
* Playback your entire song list 
* Loop Playback your entire song list repeatedly.

To change the playback speed
1. Change the number in the SPEED input box with the arrows by 5% increments from 75 to 125.
100 is set as the original speed. (By entering the number in the input box directly, you can adjust the speed by 1% increments)

To change the playback pitch
1. Change the number in the PITCH input box with the arrows by 100 cent increments from -600 to 600. 0 is set as original pitch. (By entering the number in the input box directly, you can adjust the amount by 1 cent increments)

System setting of GP-10 (SYSTEM)
Click the SYSTEM button at the bottom of the screen to open the SYSTEM screen to adjust the system settings.

VGuitar Forums > Boss GP-10 > Boss GP-10 Patch Exchange
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=151.0

Steve-cc

I'm new to this forum, to V Guitar and to the GP10. The instructions above are great - thanks!  A dumb question that will hopefully help others in the future - I see that people are sharing tsl files.  I'm guessing that they contain the patches?  If that is true can someone explain how to get them into Tone Studio and/or onto the GP10.  I'm sure I just missed it somewhere but . . .

Elantric

we are using the Boss Tone Studio Librarian *.tsl file format.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11879.msg85883#msg85883

Learn how to use Boss Tone Studio Here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15397.0

Steve-cc

Is a tsl file the format for a live set?  So some of the TSL files shared here are single patch live sets that I can just import like the live sets from Boss?  That makes sense.  Some of them (sound files) sound really great.  Can't wait to try them. 

admin

Steve-cc

I think I've got it now.  Export and import works on Tone Studio Live Files - .TSL files.
Download and upload TSL files here to share them.  Move them around in the TSL Library and Editor.  Cool.

gumtown

A *.tsl file can be a single patch or it can contain many patches.
In some cases the patch file may be a *.zip file, if someone has shared a complete backup, the file size can get very large, and do compress quite small when 'zipped'.

It is importaint to check your *.tsl 'live set' that you are including just the patches you want to share, and not a complete and unnessicary backup.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Steve-cc

Thanks.  I just downloaded a bunch of patches - Icant believe how great some of them sound - so much better than many/most of the patches that came with my GP10.

Couldn't help but notice that most of them came from ainsoph - thanks dude!

With all of these single patch tsl files - I think what I need to do is import them into the librarian then move them to a live set ie: (Favorites from VGuitar Forum?) that I want to collect them in then delete the original single patch live set?  Does that sound right or is there a better way?

admin

QuoteThanks.  I just downloaded a bunch of patches - Icant believe how great some of them sound - so much better than many/most of the patches that came with my GP10.

Couldn't help but notice that most of them came from ainsoph - thanks dude!

GP-10 - Damir Bogdan - The GP-10 Wizard of Slovenia (aka "Ainsoph")
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15842.msg113145#msg113145

Find all Ainsoph GP-10 patches and sound examples here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=13382

Steve-cc

Quote from: Steve-cc on September 14, 2015, 01:20:47 PM
Thanks.  I just downloaded a bunch of patches - I can't believe how great some of them sound - so much better than many/most of the patches that came with my GP10.

With all of these single patch tsl files - I think what I need to do is import them into the librarian then move them to a live set ie: (Favorites from VGuitar Forum?) that I want to collect them in then delete the original single patch live set?  Does that sound right or is there a better way?
Does that sound right or is there a better way?

gumtown

Yes, you just arrange them into a live set order that you want, then copy them into the GP-10, the GP-10 patches get over-written with the new ones, depending on the patch number position you place them.
So if you make a live set of 50 patches, organised from 1~50, then the first 50 patches in the GP-10 will be replaced with the live set. (once they have been written into the GP-10)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

hading

So, having recently come into possession of a GP-10 I started downloading the many fantastic patches here. However, as far as I can tell this is currently a thread-by-thread operation.

The librarian in me says - this is terrible for access purposes. How could it be better?

The programmer in me says - Github.

It would be fairly easy to take all of the stuff downloaded, stuff it into a git repo, upload it to github, and use the release mechanism to create downloadable zips for less technical people. This would be fairly easy to keep up to date as new patches come out.

I just wanted to get a feel for how patch authors would feel if I did that (it could be opt-in on their part), how site users/admins would feel (since it would potentially drive people elsewhere, though I could also do it in a private repo and only make zips available here, maybe), if people think it'd be a good idea, etc.

Elantric

IMHO  I hope that never happens

We already have too many  folks who "join for the patches, then never return , or download patches here and then sell patch bundles on eBay and never take the time to learn how to program their own patches for their gear and never make one post here at VGuitarForums.

For gear that uses Boss Tone a Studio, a few folks have started making bundle *.tsl files and have uploaded these to share several patches in one download. (Ainsoph and Autana)

And for older gear some have created a •.rar /*.zip file with hundreds of patches in one file

Same could be done with several *.tsl files , but I'd prefer we host these files  here at VGuitarForums.

My goal is education , that's why recurring new posts with same recurring common questions get merged into one thread with a title relevant to the question. So anyone can Type their question on google and locate the relevant answers in one VGuitarForum thread. After 9 years,  we have created a repository of shared knowledge unequalled in the GK 13 pin world, buts it's useless if you can't use search to locate the answer.

I'm looking forward to more interaction on the boards. A few members have suggested to me we reconfigure our SMF Member settings so new members must make at least 5 posts before their status changes to grant / enable patch download rights.

I think that's a great idea.

Also many folks get annoyed when they create a perfect patch , upload it here with a new post , but never hear a reply or get user feedback or a simple "thank you " about how good their patch is.

Some extend this to believe ,
"well nobody must be using my patches since I never heard a reply after I uploaded my patch , I'll stop sharing them to that ungrateful world at VGuitarForums"

But neglect to look at the stats for their post, where it's revealed  their patch has been downloaded hundreds of times.

hading

Well Elantric, as I suggested, I won't do it without the blessing of you and patch authors. I have too much respect for the site and the help I've gotten over the years to do that.

But even for those of us who do participate it is kind of annoying to go post by post and it'd be easier to have one download, even if one only wanted a fraction of the patches. Let us say then if there is interest in having something hosted here I'd be happy to put in some work on it, if not I'll just keep this sort of thing locally for myself.

Elantric

Implementing a patch database was a goal , but ultimately it became a problem , due to our SMF platform (used to run the whole site) being too restrictive.

Also we suffered a major malware issue on our sister site FurureGuitarNow, after some  joker  uploaded a bot disguised as a patch that literally was a nightmare which took the whole site down and forced us to change to a new server for hosting.

But I welcome any effort on make a new folder on your computer, download all GP-10 *.tsl patches, then make a *.zip file and upload and share that in a new post here.

On my computer I have Patch folders for each DSP Amp / FX processor and its easy to navigate there with the specific Editor  / librarian ( BTS for GP-10 ) and load  / demo new patches in seconds.

chrish

Is it possible for those of us who download patches here to get infected with bot malware like what happened to your sister site? Also it was interesting to hear that some folks try to sell these patches on ebay. That seems to be counter to the spirit of this site. Would a zip file make that process easier? I like the idea of 5 posts in order to take advantage of what the site has to offer. Maybe after 5 posts, the site spirit may become infectious.

Elantric

We have built in tools that check all file uploads

The old malicious files occurred when we had a Wiki that members could edit and upload files.

Yes the Variax patches we host here for free are being sold on EBay

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17734.msg126337#msg126337

chrish

Quote from: hading on May 08, 2016, 08:27:25 AM
Well Elantric, as I suggested, I won't do it without the blessing of you and patch authors. I have too much respect for the site and the help I've gotten over the years to do that.

But even for those of us who do participate it is kind of annoying to go post by post and it'd be easier to have one download, even if one only wanted a fraction of the patches. Let us say then if there is interest in having something hosted here I'd be happy to put in some work on it, if not I'll just keep this sort of thing locally for myself.
Yes it would be easier to go to one post entitled, ''All GP-10 patches zip here'' and download all the GP-10 patches, but consider what would be lost in that approach?  Maybe it's because of my psychology/philosophy interest and education, but i'm just as interested in what the patch creator has to say, both musically (though mp3 examples) and verbally, as i am in filling my machine with sounds. Just as i am interested in the POV in what you present here. I also enjoy reading peoples positive reactions when they know that the patch creator has put in much time and effort to post their creation and make the offering simply out of the goodness of their hearts. Our 'mirror neurons' are the strongest  guiding factor in how act.