GR55 - Martin HD9

Started by jetrier, January 13, 2018, 09:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetrier

Roger McGuinn has a signature series guitar with Martin called the HD7- It has a seventh string on the G an octave higher like a 12 string but without all of the other 6 extra strings.

I always liked the idea for clean bass runs on the bottom three, but I keep the three extra strings of a 12 string on the high end for the complete jangle of a 12. So for me it's a 9 string. Attached is my patch based on the Martin D28. Hope you like it.

BTW, I did this once on a Variax. I never thought much of the Variax 12 string tones. The GR55's are better IMHO.

Also, I once did this physically on a crappy 6 string I had. I drilled in three banjo tuners into the headstock right in between the 3 + 3 original tuners. I put two strings into the peg holes down at the bridge and just wrapped the second one around the peg head. I then filed in an extra three slots on the nut and guess what... it worked pretty well. Of course, virtual is nicer. No tuning issues. And the banjo tuners are weird. They slip a lot. But they allowed the tuner to go in the middle of the headstock without issue. Anyway, I digress...

Enjoy!

Elantric

Quote from: jetrier on January 13, 2018, 09:47:01 AM
Roger McGuinn has a signature series guitar with Martin called the HD7- It has a seventh string on the G an octave higher like a 12 string but without all of the other 6 extra strings.

I always liked the idea for clean bass runs on the bottom three, but I keep the three extra strings of a 12 string on the high end for the complete jangle of a 12.

reminds me of Godin A10 - yields a "celtic" tone